ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stuck Final Crimp Die in PW-375
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:33 am 
Field Grade

Help---I have a stuck Final Crimp Die in the 375 Tool Head.
I can turn it with the Vise Grips so it's not Frozen. When I apply the Vice Grip tool and hit with a hammer it still won't come out- even a little bit.
I applied Krol Oil and let it sit overnight no help rather.
-------------Any Help would be appreciated-------I have a WTB Tool Head in the Other Classified Section
Thanks Mark

Post subject: Re: Stuck Final Crimp Die in PW-375
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:44 am 
Limited Edition

Does it rotate freely or is there some binding and scraping? The set screw that holds it in place can create a burr that won't allow it drop out easily, I've had that happen. Take a needle file and remove the burrs on the post, once you get it removed (if you can).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:53 am 
Diamond Grade

screw the adjustment rod out of it.
and take the set screw all the way out too.

now you can tap it out with a punch.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:29 pm 
Field Grade

Thank You both---fiver & bronicadave
I went to Ace Hwdr and got the correct threaded bolt and started hammering it took quite a bit of hammering but got it done.
It's just a little rough inside. I'll use a little tri-mite sandpaper to smooth it out inside then do some polishing.
----Thanks again for the suggestions-----Mark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

It can be a regular problem. Set screw raises a burr. Go to McMaster Carr’s web site or try a local full line plastic supplier.. Look for “Delrin Balls” they come in many sizes.

Your press insert the smooth end of drill in the hole & gauge the size. Drop one in the hole under the set screw. Screw sets up on the ball, tight no burrs.

Bass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Bass3 wrote:
It can be a regular problem. Set screw raises a burr. Go to McMaster Carr’s web site or try a local full line plastic supplier.. Look for “Delrin Balls” they come in many sizes.

Your press insert the smooth end of drill in the hole & gauge the size. Drop one in the hole under the set screw. Screw sets up on the ball, tight no burrs.

Bass

https://www.mcmaster.com/balls/plastic/

And if you dont want to mess with a quantity purchase from McMaster Carr go to a hardware store and buy a nylon machine screw that fits in the hole. Cut off a bit of it and drop it in the hole and tighten the set screw against it.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

Have thought about drilling the head center over each die, so they can be tapped out. Never went that far. Burrs aside steel dies and alloy head are “sticky” extracting. My two 375 presses are old, makes it worse.

Whenever apart I chuck the die in the lathe and give it a scotchbrite polish. Reassemble with never seize.

Bass