ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New powders
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have not reloaded in about 8 years maybe longer I use rem hulls and Unique powder and Orange Duster wads. (20 Ga) This load is for target shooting. I have some Unique powder left over. I noticed there are some new powder out there.should I stay with Unique powder or is there a better powder out there?

Post subject: Re: New powders
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

Absolutely nothing wrong with Alliant Unique but take a look at Alliant 20/28.

20/28 is a newer, denser, and slightly cleaner version of Unique, and as the name implies there are plenty of recipes for both 20 gauge, and 28 gauge.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If it's only been 8 years than nothing has changed as far as powders go.

Unique still works just fine. I kinda like Unique and use it when I can't get Universal.

You might try 20/28, but that really isn't that new.

aka Mr. Tactful.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:40 pm 
Crown Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
If it's only been 8 years than nothing has changed as far as powders go.

That's not true, - within the last 8-years, we were introduced to the quality Vectan propellants.

For 20-gauge, you can get the clean burning Vectan A0 delivered to you doorstep for $124.62/keg :

I haven't loaded Universal in 20 in YEARS, and as long as the Vectan A0/A1 is available, I won't be.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

What has changed is Graf and Sons seems to be "running out" of Vectan. I started using A24, gone and not re-stocked. So I switched to AS, I see that is sold out. I am not holding my breath that it gets re-ordered.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:15 pm 
Crown Grade

YevetS wrote:
What has changed is Graf and Sons seems to be "running out" of Vectan. I started using A24, gone and not re-stocked. So I switched to AS, I see that is sold out. I am not holding my breath that it gets re-ordered.

Steve

It may, and it may not.

So what if Graf's ran out of A24. That was still pretty recent, - hopefully you heeded all of my advice and stocked up on it, yes? Same with AS.

We're not talking real big money here, I bought enough of both to last at least 3+ years.

But, you still have a chance, Steve.

They still have Vectan 206V, which I maintain is one of best high-performance 1-ounce propellants I've ever used.

If you've not yet done so, I highly encourage you to try Vectan 206V in 1-ounce. It likes to go fast, like ~1250 fps. It gets a bit unstable near 1200 fps, but at 1250 (+), "Who-Wee" - you will NOT be disappointed !

And if you reload for 20, I'd be ALL over that A0 stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

Right now, fellas, get what you can get. And, if you follow Republican's suggestion to get Vectan, then follow my suggestion: Get the roomiest hull you can find; you're gonna need it. At Repub's prodding, I got the aforementioned A0 and in 20 gauge I could only get it to fit in the Remington Gun Club. That would be OK I guess, if I had a huge supply but I don't.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:34 am 
Crown Grade

If you are referring to Winchester AA's, then yeah, 15.8 grains of Vectan A0 will make for a too tall stack height :

But almost everything causes a too-high stack height situation in Winchester AA's.
With that short hull, and 'center hole' hassles, I don't know why anyone even reloads them.

And yeah, as mentioned, in Remington Gun Clubs, 15.8 grains of A0 fits nicely with wonderful crimps :

But the hull I load the most of in 20, is the cheap yellow Federal Top Gun hull with the same Orange duster.

In that hull, the smaller diameter powder cup of the Orange duster, while a purpose-built taper hull wad, works really well, with very minimal degradation in performance.

If you don't mind assembling 3/4 ounce 20-gauge loads (which are Suh-Wheat!), you might want to get in on that even cheaper yet, super dense 'granular' Vectan GM3 which is $118.07 delivered to your door with that 3/4 ounce neon green Claybuster wad.

And you can see from Vectan's powder chart how much denser GM3 is compared to A0 :

Currently, Vectan's GM3 from Graf & Sons is the cheapest shotgun propellant on the market.

Even with 14 grains of GM3, and 21-grams in an AA HS, the stack height is too high for my liking.

Precrimps w/o shot bubbling out, and of course the expected, 'classic' hole in the center :

So yeah, there's a few new powders that became available in the last 5-8 years to play with. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:10 am 
Crown Grade

If you look at Alliant and Hodgdon reloading guides you will find that many powders overlap each other. Especially in the one ounce and ounce and one eighth 12 gauge loads. In 20 gauge you have 20/28, Universal,Unique and Green Dot if you don't use tubes. Your Unique is a great 20 gauge powder, still.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would not pass up any usable powders old or new at this point. I fear that we are in for a replay of the Obama era shortages. We are already beginning to see it happen. I just bought a lot of Win 540,296, and 452 in unopened kegs for a very attractive price at an estate sale. Oldies but goodies

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:03 pm 
Crown Grade

In the last few years we also saw IMR's copy of the DOT powders, supposedly mimic the loading data and characteristics

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:21 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
In the last few years we also saw IMR's copy of the DOT powders, supposedly mimic the loading data and characteristics

That's a good point, yes. I was going to mention that, but didn't think about it until I made my post about the Vectan's.

I won a little bottle of 'Green' at the club Christmas banquet a coupla years ago, but endedf up putting it up for auction in the next years Club Christmas banquet auction, so no idea how it performs.

But it does indeed qualify for 'new powders', *especially* their "UNEQUAL" propellant (for 20-gauge) which got so much talk when it first came out.

So clever (for a clone product name), ' UNIQUE ' vs. ' UNEQUAL ', - get it ?

Does UNIQUE means it's UNEQUAL, or does UNEQUAL mean it's UNIQUE ?

Those guys.... :lol:

But thanks for mentioning it!

There was also another new powder that come out, but I can't think of the name of it yet.

Post subject: New powders
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Unique means that it is in fact one of a kind if you adhere to the definition of the word. As such when using the word, qualifiers are meaningless as in “very unique”

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:42 pm 
Field Grade

The Vectan GM3 sounds interesting. I'm currently using 14gr. Green Dot with Claybuster 1075 wad, Winchester 209 primers with 3/4 oz load in Gun Club hulls. It seems like a straight swap with Vectan GM3 is possible. Am I correct?

Thanks

David

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

Nobody sells Vectan powders here in Alaska that I am aware of. If I order it from the lower 48, then it is one of the most expensive powders due to the cost of shipping.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Blackdog56 wrote:
The Vectan GM3 sounds interesting. I'm currently using 14gr. Green Dot with Claybuster 1075 wad, Winchester 209 primers with 3/4 oz load in Gun Club hulls. It seems like a straight swap with Vectan GM3 is possible. Am I correct?

Thanks

David
David,

You're on your own using GM3 for a 3/4oz load in 12 GA. There is no published data that I'm aware of for that amount of shot. Damn few 7/8 oz loads as well. GM3 is mostly shown for 1 and 1 1/8 oz loads and I use it for 1 oz loads all the time. I can get thousands of Federal hulls for free (the Wally World specials) and that's all I load anymore. I use once fired and do 'One and done!' The load is 20.5 grns of GM3 and the the Claybuster 12SO clone wad. Pressure is in the low 9000 & velocity is around 1250 fps. I use Cheddite primers. If you want values on a 3/4 oz 12 GA load with GM3, you'll have to get it from a testing lab.

Retired

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:14 pm 
Field Grade

Whoops forgot to say this 20 gauge.

dp

dubob wrote:
Blackdog56 wrote:

Thanks

David
David,

You're on your own using GM3 for a 3/4oz load in 12 GA. There is no published data that I'm aware of for that amount of shot. Damn few 7/8 oz loads as well. GM3 is mostly shown for 1 and 1 1/8 oz loads and I use it for 1 oz loads all the time. I can get thousands of Federal hulls for free (the Wally World specials) and that's all I load anymore. I use once fired and do 'One and done!' The load is 20.5 grns of GM3 and the the Claybuster 12SO clone wad. Pressure is in the low 9000 & velocity is around 1250 fps. I use Cheddite primers. If you want values on a 3/4 oz 12 GA load with GM3, you'll have to get it from a testing lab.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:16 pm 
Field Grade

I have a load for Vectan 36 in a 28ga that fits in a AAHS hull. I cannot find Vectan 36.

The load was from a fellow in Oz.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
. They still have Vectan 206V, which I maintain is one of best high-performance 1-ounce propellants I've ever used.

If you've not yet done so, I highly encourage you to try Vectan 206V in 1-ounce. It likes to go fast, like ~1250 fps. It gets a bit unstable near 1200 fps, but at 1250 (+), "Who-Wee" - you will NOT be disappointed !

Has become my favorite 1 oz 1300 straight wall hull sporting clays load.