ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New powders
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:13 am 
Crown Grade

Blackdog56 wrote:
The Vectan GM3 sounds interesting. I'm currently using 14gr. Green Dot with Claybuster 1075 wad, Winchester 209 primers with 3/4 oz load in Gun Club hulls. It seems like a straight swap with Vectan GM3 is possible. Am I correct?

Thanks

David

Well, it sure seems that way, according to the data, yes ...

Only one way to find out, and that is to try it. If you're going to buy bottles from Graf & Sons, you can mix up your order - that's beauty of the 1.1 Lb bottles. Maybe order a few bottles of the super-cheap GM3, and a few A0, A1, and a few bottles of that high-performing 1-ounce powder commonly known as '206V'.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:47 am 
Crown Grade

That gm3 has been around for eons.
It was used for fast high speed industrial loaders.

It was cheapest powder in the universe.
Good stuff too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:44 pm 
Crown Grade

cookoff013 wrote:
That gm3 has been around for eons.
It was used for fast high speed industrial loaders.

Probably because the Vectan granular powders meter so well.

cookoff013 wrote:
It was cheapest powder in the universe.
Good stuff too.

It's still the cheapest powder in the USA too.
Until Graf & Sons runs out of it that is .... :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:13 pm 
Crown Grade

When a cheap shell got dropped on the market, it was with this powder. Normaly its for 1,1/8oz but the sporting shells were only one shotsize. 7.5 fibre 28grams. They were dirt cheap.

The company that made the shells, tried increasing their portfolio by forming a company to just do sporting shells and a standard pigeon shell. These are sold in the millions. More imports from italy calmed them down.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

AS was a powder of choice for me and 6 or 7 friends for years.... still would be if we could get it. I have a pretty good supply but have ordered the GM3. We shoot 1oz and 1 1/8oz in 12ga so it will fill in until ????? Who can tell what the future will bring....... Larry

Who knows, perhaps the US will start making powders again?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:16 am 
Crown Grade

just use it right, and it`l be fine.

i cant say how many factory loads of it i`ve fired.
same as A24, and AS.
100 shells a week for about 5 years.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have printed the load data for the GM3 so I have a copy.. When I first bought the AS there were loadings for 1 1/8 and of course the lighter loads.. at a point the load data all went away and when it came back the 1 1/8 loadings were gone..... no matter though, friends across the water helped out and for quite a while the White Box estates came to us at 1 1/8 and 1200fps loaded with AS powder.
Early on there were discussions about "not good in cold" but a few winter shoots at below zero (F) dispelled that notion. The AS is great for those shooting semi-auto guns as things stay soot free for longer... Hope GM3 might be soot free also........ Larry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:50 pm 
Crown Grade

While GM3 is single-based, it is a little dirtier than the premium "A" powders (AS, A24, etc.).

But it meters well, and is as cheap (or cheaper) than the 1-ounce little brother: Prima-V.

Of all of the Vectan powders that I've loaded and shot (in 1-ounce), I have to say, I have to say, I've shot more of the cheaper granular Vectan 'Prima-V' in older Gun clubs w/ the colder/anemic Noble Sport NS-686 than any other Vectan powder, and so if 1-1/8th oz is your game, you can capitalize on the economy.

I do remember however, chrono testing GM3 in some Federal hulls with another shooting buddy, and the results weren't overly stellar, but I think they were acceptable/usable. I don't remember the particulars of the load, or the test that he did.