ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why 28 Ga. HS Hulls Are Hard to Reload
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:55 am 
Diamond Grade

I was fixing a 28 Ga. 9000 for a guy that could not get good crimps.He was getting every possible issue know to a reloader. After returning his column to vertical to the base and a few other minor adjustments I also discovered this in the hulls he gave me for set-up. I found 5 total. These are all once fired.

Notice the bend and the huge difference in height. There were no stress marks in the plastic to indicate mishandling when it was removed from the chamber. I have loaded 1000's of these and never seen one with a curve like that.

Steve

Post subject: Re: Why 28 Ga. HS Hulls Are Hard to Reload
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've had a handful bent like that. As to the difference in heights; that's old news. Yeah, most people thought that was limited to the early going with the HS hulls, but I still see it in recent hulls.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

See if they straighten after firing. Never seen that in AAHS before.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

browning66 wrote:
See if they straighten after firing. Never seen that in AAHS before.

I am saving them for the owner, to show him one the the causes of his poor crimps.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

It looks like both the brass and the plastic are different lengths between the two shells. Yikes.

"I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post which any human power can give."Thomas Jefferson, 1788

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As Vette said, this is old news. Olin did make the shorter ones early in the days of the HS hull. MEC even issued special adjustment instruction to compensate for it. They are now long gone but still around. Sort your hulls to length and either throw out the short ones or load them separately. I threw mine out.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:06 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't load on a MEC, but the biggest issue I have with the HS hulls is what I call dogeared crimps...another member here called them inverted folds...

I have a similar issue with 12 gauge hulls, but a much lower incidence.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

casonet wrote:
. Olin did make the shorter ones early in the days of the HS hull. They are now long gone but still around. .

No Olin is still making, these came out of recently purchased flats that were once fired.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Really! Thought that they were long gone. I don’t load the HS anyway. Just the old CF which in my opinion is a better hull anyway.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Post subject: Why 28 Ga. HS Hulls Are Hard to Reload
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

painter* wrote:
I don't load on a MEC, but the biggest issue I have with the HS hulls is what I call dogeared crimps...another member here called them inverted folds...

I have a similar issue with 12 gauge hulls, but a much lower incidence.
Pretty sure I’ve never gotten crimps as nice as those on the left.

410 is easier for me than 28.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:14 am 
Crown Grade

birdhunter39 wrote:
Pretty sure I’ve never gotten crimps as nice as those on the left.
I grabed a box of twice reloaded HS shells and pulled out the top 10 shells for a look. This is what they look like,
Attachment:
20200907_070222.jpg
I would guess the top row right & bottom row second from the right hulls are a tad shorter in overall length and gave me the hole in the middle of the crimp. Loaded on a Spolar (of course - :lol: )

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Retired

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

Looked at a random box of 28AAHS I reloaded with 12.5 20/28 and took the top ten out. Photo included. Was loading for skeet, clays and doves. The OP could contact Olin and see what they say. Might get something nice in return.
https://imgur.com/GmD2Hza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

All you need to do is sort them for length. The same can be said for almost any brand of hulls.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:15 pm 
Utility Grade

We've been loading once fired Browning BPT hulls in 28 gauge for a year or so, and have been finding curved ones in the shipments this summer. None of us can figure out why that is, but we just trash them as they come up. I'm told that this hull is made by the manufacturer of Winchester and is similar to the AA HS, which is how we load them. On a side fact, we like them better than AA's...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Hummy585 on Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Winchester doesn’t make ammunition. It’s just a brand name that Olin Chemical uses since they own the trademark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:46 am 
Crown Grade

I seem to have less difficulty loading 28 than Olin does since the crimps on factory shells are all over the place. Just randomly grabbed the 15 below from my reload bin.

I occasionally will get one of the off one's like in painter's photo, but that seems related to the crimp starter not perfectly aligning with the folds in the hull. They shoot just fine.

As long as the crimp contains the shot it is perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The plastic is not temp stable when subjected to heat for an extended period of time. Same thing happened to me when I left a bag of hulls in the car during the summer with the windows closed for a few weeks (130-140 degrees for 8-12 hours for a couple weeks). A lot of them shortened and bent. I would assume the shortening was from the heat and the bending was from those who may have been closer to the outside of the bag or saw direct sunlight.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hummy585 wrote:
We've been loading once fired Browning BPT hulls in 28 gauge for a year or so, and have been finding curved ones in the shipments this summer. None of us can figure out why that is, but we just trash them as they come up. I'm told that this hull is made by the manufacturer of Winchester and is similar to the AA HS, which is how we load them. On a side fact, we like them better than AA's...

Looks like those have built in RH lead.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The problem with those hulls is they have Peyronie's disease.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Skeet man is absolutely correct. The plastic in the HS hulls does not like extended exposure to higher temperatures. One summer, I shot 100 brand new .410 AAs in the rain. I put the empties up in the (hot) attic for a couple of days to dry out. When I started loading them, the crimps were terrible, which was new to me and new to this lot of hulls. Upon inspection, about a third of the hulls were both curved and shorter than the others.

I have seen more limited instances of this same occurrence quite a few other times since. This is likely from hulls that were stored inside a vehicle during the summer. Believe it or not, I have even seen this happen when brand new AA HS AMMUNITION was stored in a hot vehicle before firing. The new (now once fired) hulls came out of my O/U’s tubes crooked!

Firing the reloads will not straighten the hulls out.

The issue with extended heat affecting the hulls has to do with the way the plastic tubes are manufactured.