ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1 1/4 oz steel, 3" pattern.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:13 pm 
Field Grade

one grouping is 7 inch across and the other 2 are about 10 inches across, all from the same distance, is there a reason for this that I am missing?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: 1 1/4 oz steel, 3" pattern.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:56 pm 
Limited Edition

What's the board distance from muzzle? What's choke you used? What estimated velocity?

Is there generally a reason for a tighter pattern size? A couple hundred FPS slower velocity could have given the tighter spread compared to the other two....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:04 am 
Limited Edition

What you're missing is lots of details as garrisonjoe mentioned. Also include ammo details, shot size, brand, etc. And most importantly distance you patterned at? And is this the distance you expect to shoot your game at? Also what game are you targeting?

It appears you shot pretty close to the cardboard. I expect if you backed up some these patterns would look a lot more similar.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:38 am 
Crown Grade

A difference in powder drop or shot drop consistency, perhaps. Did you measure your propellant and payload by weight or by volume?

Some powders including fine powder like Aliant Steel or certain flake powders like IMR 800X are difficult to meter consistently by volume. If this is a hunting load you should probably be measuring both powder and shot by weight, not volume. i measure my target loads by volume but all my hunting loads are weighed out. Most of my hunting loads are higher pressure loads, and with near maximum pressure loads prudence dictates weighed charges not just for consistency but saftey as well.

DooFighter is right, more details are needed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:28 pm 
Field Grade

I was about 14 yards away is all and I measure everything out, don't use powder or shot drops on hunting loads.
3' Rem (.200) hulls, 26 gr steel powder, 1.25 oz #2 steel shot, TUPRW123 wad, Fed 209A primer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:58 pm 
Limited Edition

You would get lots more valuable info if you pattern your loads at a typical hunting distance. Move your pattern board to 30 yards or more. See what you get with ten shots. Then perhaps there will be something to worry about, or maybe not. Right now, you've got almost nothing to ponder (or to compare to other folks results, because no one would have done patterning work at 14 yards).

But, just from looking at your load data and comparing it to published data from Alliant, I'd say you have a VERY weak, low-pressure load. That could well have major velocity variations. And thus big changes in pattern diameter.

The load I see in Alliant's on-line site at:
https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders ... 5&gauge=12
says a reasonable load would be:
3" Rem Nitro Steel hull Fed 209A primer 32 grains Steel powder
Precision Reloading TUPRW123 wad plus 1/8 inch felt spacer under shot
1 1/4 ounce Steel shot

making:
1,392 FPS 10,700 PSI

You say you are loading 26 grains.

How about sharing where you got that data from?

Good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:52 am 
Diamond Grade

Also, an aiming point would be helpful...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:12 pm 
Field Grade

garrisonjoe wrote:
You would get lots more valuable info if you pattern your loads at a typical hunting distance. Move your pattern board to 30 yards or more. See what you get with ten shots. Then perhaps there will be something to worry about, or maybe not. Right now, you've got almost nothing to ponder (or to compare to other folks results, because no one would have done patterning work at 14 yards).

But, just from looking at your load data and comparing it to published data from Alliant, I'd say you have a VERY weak, low-pressure load. That could well have major velocity variations. And thus big changes in pattern diameter.

The load I see in Alliant's on-line site at:
https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders ... 5&gauge=12
says a reasonable load would be:
3" Rem Nitro Steel hull Fed 209A primer 32 grains Steel powder
Precision Reloading TUPRW123 wad plus 1/8 inch felt spacer under shot
1 1/4 ounce Steel shot

making:
1,392 FPS 10,700 PSI

You say you are loading 26 grains.

How about sharing where you got that data from?

Good luck, garrisonjoe

I'm using the lyman 25th edition. Using the link you provided, I see for the Rem Steel hull, I can go up to 32gr for the 1.25 oz shot.......Anyone know the difference between the 3" Rem w/yellow base and the Remington 3" nitro steel hull?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:43 pm 
Limited Edition

Ummm, you probably mean Lyman 5th Shotshell handbook, as that is the latest one published.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The reason that the Lyman data seems anemic is that the Steel powder we buy now is not the same Steel powder that was used when Lyman wrote their manual. Alliant slowed Steel down a bit since the Lyman manual was published.

The correct data to use is either right from Precision Reloading or Alliant.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:28 pm 
Field Grade

So I loaded about 15 rounds at 26, low, and then the last ten rounds (don't know how many) at 32, didn't notice the big weight had moved.....great! At least I know I can shoot them all and start over!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:17 pm 
Limited Edition

26 grains plus a 5 mark would be 31 grains.
Sounds like a little more attention to the details may be worthwhile.

Your smaller pattern (7") came from the lighter charge, most likely.