ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding auto ejecting to a Mec Grabber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:22 pm 
Utility Grade

I know the first thing most people will say after seeing the title of this post will be "get a 9000 and never look back." I have used both a grabber and a 9000 in the past, and honestly would like to stick with my Grabbers I currently have. I have two 12 ga 761R grabbers (one for AA's and one for STS's), one 20 ga, 28 ga, and 410 ga 8567N grabbers and absolutely love them. I have never really liked the full auto indexing of the 9000, and since I have the Grabbers, why fix what isn'y broke, ya know? The only thing I was interested in the 9000 was the auto ejection as I do not worry about boxing my shells while reloading.

I have seen multiple post on here about how it really is not hard to add the auto ejection, but have not been able to deduce how to do this in its entirety. It seems as Steve Y has not been on SGW in a while and his name constanly came up on the previous posts. Wondering if anyone else has any other idea of what to do. I know I will need to call Mec and get the shell guide ring and chute for the 8567N's I have, but am not sure if thats all I need for them. And since the 761R has the older style metal rim on the outer aspect of the shell holder and would have to be ground down.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Tyler

Post subject: Re: Adding auto ejecting to a Mec Grabber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

Well Steve Y's SGW account became corrupt and I could no longer sign in. I did get the notice that you PM'ed me at that account but could not read it.

So now as for the auto eject on a Grabber. Yes I have done a few for myself and friends. It is a labor of love for a rainy day. You have to add the outside guide ring for the gauge you are modifying from the 9000. MEC does not list a part # in the exploded for it, you have to call them..Add the chute. And mill out the base opposite the last station so the shell tips over onto the chute. Thats the hard part.

Steve

Last edited by YevetS on Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

Here is a picture of the 9000 base cut-out you need

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:35 pm 
Utility Grade

Well that makes total sense why your name is Ysevets now sorry I didnt get that before.

And do I need to just mill out the base on the 6th station on the 761r instead of adding the outside guide ring? Just want to make sure I dont have to order that as well!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:37 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you so much!!!! That helps a ton!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

MichaelJohnsrud wrote:

And do I need to just mill out the base on the 6th station on the 761r instead of adding the outside guide ring? Just want to make sure I dont have to order that as well!

Look closely at the picture I posted. You need that guide ring for the "finger" that is part of it . It guides the shell from the base to the chute. In the picture its on the right hand side of the shell carrier plate pocket for the hull.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:33 am 
Utility Grade

Really appreciate it Steve! Thanks a bunch!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:12 am 
Crown Grade

You seem to already have a number of Grabbers, but the auto rotate can always be disconnected on the 9000 so then it would be a Grabber with a station for the shells to drop off the press. Just a thought. I have friends who have disconnected the auto rotate because they don't like it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

This seems like a lot of monkey-motion for no real gain. How do you rotate the shell plate? When I used Grabbers, I pulled the shell plate around by grasping the shell in the final crimp station and bringing it to the sizing station. Then, the shell is in my hand and I can do with as I will. Either dropping it into the EZ Loader or other container.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I generally use my right hand to rotate the shell on station 2 to station 3 as I am placing a wad already with that hand in the same area
Allows me to then be able to load a new shell in station one with my left hand as I find I have better coordination to be fast with my right hand than my left.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

Vette Jockey2 wrote:
How do you rotate the shell plate? .

Well I grabbed the pre-crimped hull and pushed it forward to the crimp station. That left my left hand free to place another hull in station 1 while my now empty right hand inserted a wad. Start AutoMate and repeat.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:46 pm 
Field Grade

Here's some info I found ages ago.

I think I scabbed it off here, so credit to the Original O.P.

It should give you somewhere to start.

I also wondered about rotating the plate as I too grab the finished shell to rotate on my 650, but I'll have to try the above method.

As you can see, they have modified the shell holder also, but you could buy one off a 9000 I guess.

"Cut out for shell drop starts in line with primer hole and finishes with primer hole in rotating plate. Finger extends from near enrty to the column to guide shell out."

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

OOZE

That picture brings back memories! Thats my 410 MEC 650 modified to run on my AutoMate. I built a sub base for it so it was at the same height as a 9000. Added the tube under the primer knock out so the primers would drop out of the way. Fun project.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:16 pm 
Field Grade

{hs# {hs# :B3

Hey Steve,

Good stuff!

Thanks for your help on here mate.