ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Roll Crimper
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:24 pm 
Crown Grade

bladesmith wrote:
Damn, that Lyman tool looks really great. Too bad they don't still make em. But then what would the demand be for such a tool other than a couple of us old nuts.

The Lyman heads are unbeatable in a low rpm drill press. I do my 410 rolls with one. The Gaep heads are very good also.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:46 am 
Crown Grade

"----except for us old nuts"
The young nuts might catch on in time. I have a Lyman roll crimper in 10 ga. & also a BPI. I haven't used the BPI in years, the Lyman works much better. I am thinking about starting to roll crimp 12 & 20 ga. also.
The first half of my life, I was too young to know anything, now I am too old! I am starting to enjoy telling people under 60 that they are too young to have an opinion! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:28 am 
Presentation Grade

geometric wrote:
"----except for us old nuts"
The young nuts might catch on in time. I have a Lyman roll crimper in 10 ga. & also a BPI. I haven't used the BPI in years, the Lyman works much better. I am thinking about starting to roll crimp 12 & 20 ga. also.
The first half of my life, I was too young to know anything, now I am too old! I am starting to enjoy telling people under 60 that they are too young to have an opinion! :lol:

At this stage of life you have gained the ability to fascinate us with BS though !
You deserve your time in the spotlight , make good use of it as the clock is ticking !
Surely you'll need a new keyboard soon ? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:53 am 
Crown Grade

True, but the clock doesn't discriminate. Yesterday I was a knucklehead teenager! I earned my "Golden Years" & I intend to take full advantage & shoot plenty more ducks & catch plenty more fish! {hs#

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

geometric wrote:
True, but the clock doesn't discriminate. Yesterday I was a knucklehead teenager! I earned my "Golden Years" & I intend to take full advantage & shoot plenty more ducks & catch plenty more fish! {hs#

Move over I'm not far behind you , maybe !
I did run a 50 straight in caps the other day so I'm still dangerous at times .
I can't help it when I reach for the Nickel 2's while I'm loading for next months early
Goose season , you know , just for back ups ? hehee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:00 am 
Crown Grade

Back in the late 70s I use to goose hunt at my brothers in the upper peninsula in Michigan. We'd hunt farm fields. I used a 8ga black powder O/u muzzle loader I had made. 400grs of 1F and 4oz of shot. The first year I found out the hard way buckshot wouldn't group. Next year it was #2s with about .010 choke I put in the gun. They'd come in to the fields to eat at sun up and were dead at 60 to 70 yards. Man was that gun fun to shoot. The ground would shake and all the smoke and loud boom. If I wasn't standing right it would push me right flat on my back. Not a sharp recoil, but a big hard push. If I still had that gun I'd say to hell with it and shoot it one more time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:06 pm 
Field Grade

Does anyone know how well the old Active hulls roll crimp. I have some new and some once shot hulls that I want to load with blackpowder and roll crimp. I could use once fired Cheddite or WAA's instead and I'm wondering if anyone could recommend one over the other.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:52 am 
Crown Grade

BP will burn through any shell down where the metal head meets the plastic or paper hull. You might get a couple of reloads, maybe two or three at the most. Also, because I find it troublesome to reload shells that have been roll crimped, I just throw them away after one time. With all that said, I use any shell to roll crimp or shoot BP in it. They all work one time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:21 pm 
Field Grade

Golden,
my experience of making RTO finish on ACTIV hulls - at least the new ones I have used -which have a skived mouth, similar to Cheddites. These are difficult to achieve consistently, a good RTO. It is important to have the correct length available to form the RTO - Too long and it will fold on itself, too short and you get a weak turnover. Apply too much pressure before the plastic is ready to roll over and....again get crap rather than crimp. Needless to say , a good and proven tool helps here. The Italian manufactured rto head/bobbins come in different conformations and those that are designed to put a "factory finish" on the mouth of star crimped shells may not be the best option for putting RTO on skived hulls.

Oh yeh, by the way, may be a better policy to buy GRs from accredited and certified (eye) stock than paying optometrists to fix the problem...??? ; )