ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: do "brass" primers mean factory hulls?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:51 pm 
Limited Edition

I've noticed that many (maybe all?) of the once fired Remington hulls I've gathered and reloaded had brass colored primers, but my reload primers (Winchester and Federal) are silver.

Is the color of the primer a reliable indicator of a "once fired" hull?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: do "brass" primers mean factory hulls?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:10 pm 
Limited Edition

If the primer of STS or Nitro hulls is not brassy color both on the outer ring (battery cup) and the inner primer itself, you can be sure you got a reload. Because AFAIK, all the STS and Nitro factory loads have been loaded with the Remington Premier STS type 209 primer.

An all-brass color primer in those hulls may indicate a reload done with Remington (expensive) primers, though.

Not sure if this is true for other Remington hulls.

Another clue to look for are burn marks on the crimp area, where darker color or burning of the inner hull wall at the crimp may be a more reliable hint the shell has been fired more than once.

Good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You may be able to tell if a shell has been reloaded, but you cannot tell for sure if a shell is once fired.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

No. Color of primer is a completely false indicator to rely on. Last hear I had 2 flats of 12ga Rem GC 1oz loads. One flat had brass primers a la rem209p, one flat looked like win209 with silver centers, both factory. I have seen the same on Rem ACF 20ga loads.

Factories use what they want, what is avail cheap, what is needed due to supply chain issues, etc, and constantly change up components without declaring any changes. Probably not on match grade target ammo. But you never know.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'll pretty much agree with skeetman above, although just a first time reloaded hull is fairly easy to spot from the crimp folds being a little sharper. But the bigger question is, in the words of hillary, what difference does it really make. If it looks OK, pick it up and toss it in the bag.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:07 pm 
Limited Edition

^^Amen.

tp (the scrounger)

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:39 am 
Limited Edition

Thanks folks. I've been reloading Clay and Fields of late - that's where I noticed the brass primers. But I also noticed quite a few had burn residue near the crimps, suggesting they were reloads.

As the last two posts point out it doesn't really matter. They loaded and crimped fine, so everything is good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:47 pm 
Limited Edition

Even Remington factory target loads (F&C, GC, STS and Nitros) will show on perhaps 20% of the hulls a visible amount of burning/soiling from powder.

You are right, though - it really does not matter if you have a once-fired or a twice fired hull. Watch the crimp area (particularly) for damage and discard hull when it is enough to concern you.

So why did you ask? :lol:

Good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have never seen an STS or Nitro Gold without “brass” primers

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith