ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vacuum Lock on Powder Bottle?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:36 pm 
Field Grade

I experienced the exact same problem loading clays powder in my MEC . I would get 1-5 very light loads per 25. I noticed that when I looked in the powder baffle, the powder stuck to the sides. I cleaned the baffle and found the same problem. I determined that it was a static problem. I eventually fixed the problem when I wrapped a dryer sheet around the bottle before filling it with powder and no more static. Sounds crazy but it worked. No more static and my drops are within .25 grains now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:17 am 
Tournament Grade

SMP190 wrote:
I experienced the exact same problem loading clays powder in my MEC . I would get 1-5 very light loads per 25. I noticed that when I looked in the powder baffle, the powder stuck to the sides. I cleaned the baffle and found the same problem. I determined that it was a static problem. I eventually fixed the problem when I wrapped a dryer sheet around the bottle before filling it with powder and no more static. Sounds crazy but it worked. No more static and my drops are within .25 grains now.

Had a similar experience which is why I brought up static and used the same method to correct it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:20 am 
Tournament Grade

IL Duckshewter wrote:
v35 wrote:
IL Duckshewter wrote:
So, I went through a five gallon bucket of finished shells looking for shells that weighed less than 615 grains. What I've since learned is that even shells that have a proper powder drop are coming up light in overall weight. Some running as light as 600 grains. How can this be?

Take a single pellet of whatever shot you are using, and weigh it. How much does it weigh in grains? (Spoiler alert: one pellet weighs very approximately one grain).

Then, consider the industry standard pellet size tolerance is at least ±0.5 shot size. In other words if you're loading #8 shot you will be loading many pellets of shot size 7.5 many that are 8.5 and that's perfectly acceptable.

Then, multiply that grain tolerance by the variation in the actual number of pellets that drop from the charge bar. Does it always drop the same exact number of consistently sized pellets?

Then, do the same with the hulls you're using. How much do they vary, measured in grains? How much does a wad weigh, in grains?

Then, consider the value of weighing finished shells to draw any conclusions regarding variations in powder drop.

Thanks for the advice! I have actually done this. Its astounding how much variance there is in the components that we use. There is sometimes as much as a 15 grain variance just in the empty hull itself.

That’s kind of why shotshell reloading is more like baking and you really can’t fully apply rifle/pistol reloading methods and checks fully.