ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bair Panda and unknown similar press
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:46 am 
Tournament Grade

Got these from a buddy. Mainly wanted all the components that came with them.

20 gauge is an unknown model. No markings anywhere on it.

12 gauge is a Bair panda

Can anyone identify the 20 gauge press?

Anyone here still using a panda?

I haven’t really done anything with them yet. Came with a couple of coffee cans of bushings and extra parts that I need to go through.

I have a PW press that is my primary press. Got these to play with and will likely set them up for a particular load and leave them like that.

I did try a hull in the depriming station on both and the hull caught up in there and had to be pried out on both presses. Great start!

Post subject: Re: Bair Panda and unknown similar press
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

Jeepwm69 wrote:
Can anyone identify the 20 gauge press?

Pictures??

You can also "picture search" Google.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ah, pics too big to load. Will resize when I get to my desktop Monday

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:23 pm 
Crown Grade

I’ve got 2 Bair Honey Bair 405s. Only because I found some used Pacific dies on Ebay, one is a 20 ga and one is a 16 ga machine instead of the original 12 ga. I assume your mystery press is blue, and a single stage press, round base? Does it have plastic hoppers that turn in a black base to shut off the shot and powder?

BP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:19 pm 
Limited Edition

Quote:
I did try a hull in the depriming station on both and the hull caught up in there and had to be pried out on both presses.

Pretty common for ANY shotshell press that has been neglected for a long time, and perhaps stored in unheated building or shed. ALWAYS scrub out all the die bodies with a bronze brush and bore cleaner (or Kroil oil). This will get the dust, crud and surface rust off. Then inspect. If pitted heavily, it may be necessary to run a shotgun chamber hone (flexihone) lightly in the dies to get the steel die walls back to smooth. Rough surfaces will grab the hull head and even the plastic body.

Likewise, I used to use a Honey Bair loader. Slow, plastic parts that finally broke, but it made great shells when it was still running.

Good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:19 am 
Tournament Grade

A cleaning is likely needed. I just remember the old Pacific 266 I cut my teeth on actually popping the shell out of the resizer. That was 30 years ago so wasn't sure if this one was missing a component/kicker, if the set up on the press was for lo brass only, or what.

Trying to upload pics again. Hopefully they'll work this time.

Obviously this is the Bair, which I believe is a "Panda Bair"

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:21 am 
Tournament Grade

This is the other, which looks similar, but has no markings of any kind on it.

Any ideas on this one?

I tried going through the two coffee cans full of what appear to be extra dies and bushings etc, but the one year old wasn't having it, so I had to put it off till I can go through it while she's napping.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:26 am 
Limited Edition

The 20 gauge loader is the right color and general design to be an old (1960s) Bair. But I don't have a catalog that would identify it specifically.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:59 am 
Tournament Grade

They are similar for sure, but there are enough differences where I wondered if the 20 might be a different make.

Of course, my pics leave a lot to be desired.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

The paint appears to be the same color, the tops on the hoppers are the same, and IMHO since most people stick with the same model press, it sure looks like a Bair.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:06 pm 
Field Grade

The mystery press looks a lot like a Bair "Bobcat" in .410 that I picked up in a package deal that included a 20 ga. Mec 600 Jr, $35 for the pair. I managed to load a few boxes of fairly decent looking shells on it before I had way more than my limit of frustration and pitched it out into a snowbank. When the snow melted enough I retrieved it and may try it again, then again I may just throw it in the scrap heap. The MEC was like new so I didn't get hurt on the deal.

Last edited by Alan in Vermont on Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Alan in Vermont wrote:
The mystery press looks a lot like a Bair "Bobcat" in .410 that I picked up in a package deal that included a 20 ga. Mec 600 Jr, $35 for the pair. I managed to load a few boxes of fairly decent looking shells on it before I had way more than my limit of frustration and pitched it out into a snowbank. When the show melted enough I retrieved it and may try it again, then again I may just throw it in the scrap heap. The MEC was like new so I didn't get hurt on the deal.

Ha, sounds like we share the same level of patience!.

I think 410 is just tough to do anyway. My father has a nice PW progressive, so these won't be my primary presses. I got them with a bunch of lead, primers, wads and hulls, and thought it would be nice to set them up for a specific load and leave them that way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Nosed around at the pile of stuff that came with these, and it looks like the Bair marked press came with 12 gauge dies installed, AND also had 20 gauge dies, AND 28 gauge dies.

The other one was set up for 20 gauge.

Had a few shot bushings and powder bushings as well.

Anyone have a set of 16 gauge dies for a 155? I don't have a 28, so don't really need those, but I do shoot a 16 ga 11-48 from time to time during dove season.

The smaller "mystery" press does indeed have "Bair" caps on the shot and powder tubes, which appear to be original, so as some of you guessed, probably a different model of Bair press.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

The other question I had would be, are there 3" dies available for these, or can one adjust the existing dies to load 3"?

I only shoot 3" during duck season. Since I have a progressive PW press, seems like setting up the Bair for duck loads and leaving it set would be the way to go. Use the PW for dove/clay loads.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

Jeepwm69 wrote:
The other question I had would be, are there 3" dies available for these, or can one adjust the existing dies to load 3"?

I know on a MEC you adjust the center column up to load 3" hulls and there are no special dies. Could this machine work the same way??

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:00 pm 
Crown Grade

I’m sure with a little field expedient that can be accomplished. Extend the center support bar the correct length and probably make a new die body to install the sizing die on, 1” pipe and a lathe makes quick work of it. With the other dies an extra 1/4” won’t bother a thing. You aren’t going to be changing back and forth so cutting and welding won’t hurt you any. Maybe that’s more work than you want to go to? I’ve got all that equipment so it’s no big deal for me. If your sizing die is a one piece part rather than a tube with a cap screwed on the bottom, a Hornady sizing die is the cap and you can easily make the body from the 1” pipe by cutting it the right length and cutting the correct threads on both ends to fit the cap and press head. I did this to make my 16 ga die set work in my 405 Honey Bair.

BP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Burnt Powder wrote:
I’m sure with a little field expedient that can be accomplished. Extend the center support bar the correct length and probably make a new die body to install the sizing die on, 1” pipe and a lathe makes quick work of it. With the other dies an extra 1/4” won’t bother a thing. You aren’t going to be changing back and forth so cutting and welding won’t hurt you any. Maybe that’s more work than you want to go to? I’ve got all that equipment so it’s no big deal for me. If your sizing die is a one piece part rather than a tube with a cap screwed on the bottom, a Hornady sizing die is the cap and you can easily make the body from the 1” pipe by cutting it the right length and cutting the correct threads on both ends to fit the cap and press head. I did this to make my 16 ga die set work in my 405 Honey Bair.

BP

Sounds like something I can make work then. Thanks for the info!