ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The low velocity principle
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Truth be known, you can end up inadvertently loading 'duplex' target loads very easily if the shot is not graded uniformly or you are shooting reclaimed shot that was just cleaned and not remelted and dropped anew and carefully graded for size. Shot that is plus or minus a size is not all that unusual and don't forget Remington's Duplex loads of not that long ago.

Olin, some Winchester 'special' skeet and Remington STS shot were some of the best/most uniform shot that I've used, but getting any of it today is like finding a four leafed clover.

You can buy some of the best target ammunition w/hard uniform shot in factory trap loads. Some of it is fantastically good. I'm of the opinion that you generally cannot buy bagged shot as good as what is in several dif. brands of premium factory target ammunition, but you can buy shot that is uniformly graded and reasonably hard & spherical and it is generally, but not always, the more expensive. I've noticed some periodic variances in the same brand(s) over the years as well, so there may be some QC issues w/'lots' or batches that caused that. I don't know, only speaking to what I've seen.
--

Also, going back to the late 1870's, the Britt's. ran empirical contests to see which brands of guns & ammo 'shot the hardest'. Choke boring was mostly absent and they used an agreed upon 'standard' type of paper cards in an also standardized spaced queue to test for penetration. The shooting press also kept up w/the most winning brands, seasonally from highly publicized shoots.

Bottom line was that the better shots tended to score better, regardless of any hype, but the powder and gun makers benefited from the advertisements, endorsements and associations w/winners just as varied makers of items & gear do today thru professional sports.