ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gun smith credentials
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:47 am 
Crown Grade

For the person who is NOT engaged in the business with the aim of making a living, no FFL is needed.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:58 am 
Limited Edition

Credentialing is VERY hard to pull off in a widely-varied service environment like "all types of firearms from the last 150 years." Lots of good shotgun smiths might not know how to service a Winchester '97 properly, but are wonderful over/under techs.

Your best way to find who is good is to ask for references to smiths among your trusted friends and fellow shooters in the disciplines that you need service in. The closer they are to your area of shooting and your experience, usually the better their recommendations will serve you. As in, if you are a beginning hunter, asking a top Sporting Clays shooter who they recommend to do nice work will waste both your and the other shooter's time, most often. Their knowledge base may be wide, but perhaps not wide enough to recommend who could refinish your 870 stock quickly and cheaply.

And then be willing to recommend the good gunsmiths you find to others in your shooting "circle", when appropriate.

Good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:58 pm 
Crown Grade

[quote="desmobob"]...I know I wouldn't trust the majority of "gunsmiths" in my area. My neighbor had the value of a very nice Mannlicher-Schoenaeur rifle reduced significantly by the work of a local "gunsmith" who probably shouldn't have even been in the business.../quote]

A friend bought a Beretta 680 unsingle with a fixed full choke shortly after the model hit the market. A few months later he decided to have some choke work done. A well known trapshooter/gunsmith who sold gun cleaning accessories at registered shoots back east offered to do the job at a nominal price. After the work was done, my friend's scores dropped noticeably. Some other shooters shot the gun with equally disappointing results. Lacking a pattern board, we lined up some clay targets on edge in the grass off to the side of a traphouse. Shooting from roughly 20 yards, the center clay was unscathed and the clays to the right were broken. My friend now had a Beretta 680 with an eccentric choke! Not willing to give the "gunsmith" a second chance, the gun was shipped off to Stan Baker who backbored it and reamed a new fixed IM choke. My friend's confidence in his Beretta quickly returned accompanied by improved scores.

It pays to check the reputation of the 'smith or stockmaker for the type of work that you require.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi