ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hornady 366 Crimping
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:14 pm 
Utility Grade

Not new to reloading but new to the Hornady 366. I picked up this used press and everything works fine but I cannot for the life of me get a good crimp! I read the manual and counted the threads above the lock nut and have played with the die & plunger height so much that but still can't get a decent crimp on station #7 and I haven't even started with #8. Before I wrap it up in tannerite and sight my rifle in, I thought I would post a couple of pics and maybe get some suggestion. Thew first Federal shell is the pre crimp and using a 6 star starter. The other shells are what they look like after station #7. I was loading perfect shells with the MEC but Oh No, I had to switch presses!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Hornady 366 Crimping
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:22 pm 

Count the folds in your shells, they are usually 6 or 8. the precrimper should have the same number of fold starters in it. Using a 6 fold starter will give you crappy crimps on an 8 fold hull. First hull over on the right needs to have the centerpunch lowered about 0.050"

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As Curly said, you need the 8-point crimp starter with 8-point shells. Why would you NOT use the 8-point starter?

However, I think your MAIN mistake is like trying to put 10 pounds of xxxx in a 5 pound bag. It looks pretty clear to me that you either are using the wrong wad, the wrong powder, or too much shot in your load.

I would begin by checking the components you are using versus what a good reloading manual recommends. Second, if the components are correct for the shell, then reduce the shot weight by about 30 grains and see what happens.

Then, depending on what the reloads look like with the proper crimp starter, proper components, and about 30 grains less lead in the load, we may need to make minor adjustments to crimp depth and/or other settings.

Load a few as I suggested and post pictures of what they look like. Then we can go from there. Oh, and why are you using different shells/hulls to reload. Depending on what they are, they may not be interchangeable without adjustments to the reloader settings. Stick with one shell until you get the hang of it.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:36 pm 
Utility Grade

I checked on the crimp starter and it is a 6 point so the proper one is ordered. The WinAA was a mistake but the Federal hulls are proper components as per the manual and I have been using them for years in the MEC with great results. I didn't think the 6 vs 8 point would make that much of a difference, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:41 pm 
Limited Edition

Yep, sure looks like a lousy job done by the crimp starter die. Check die "teeth" count, and condition.

It's VERY possible to load PERFECT shells on a 366. See attached pic.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by garrisonjoe on Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

jvelecky wrote:
I didn't think the 6 vs 8 point would make that much of a difference, thanks!

:shock:

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:49 pm 

jvelecky wrote:
I checked on the crimp starter and it is a 6 point so the proper one is ordered. The WinAA was a mistake but the Federal hulls are proper components as per the manual and I have been using them for years in the MEC with great results. I didn't think the 6 vs 8 point would make that much of a difference, thanks!

That's about the same as putting gasoline in the tank for your diesel vehicle.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jvelecky wrote:

I think your reloads would improve with the following changes:

Use the proper crimp starter.

Be sure the wad is fully seated before adding the shot.

Use less shot. What shot size are you using in these loads? Large size shot is bulkier than an equal weight of smaller shot... all else being equal.

Increase the crimp plunger depth.

Try these changes and get back to us with pics.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:33 am 
Diamond Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Use less shot. What shot size are you using in these loads? Large size shot is bulkier than an equal weight of smaller shot... all else being equal.

Should this be a fix?? Since we drop shot be volume, it is also bulkier in the shot measure of what ever brand loader we use.
I know back in the days of me hunting pheasants on a game farm all I did was change the shot from #8's to #5's, all else stayed the same. Loaded just fine.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

YevetS wrote:
Ulysses wrote:

Should this be a fix?? Since we drop shot be volume, it is also bulkier in the shot measure of what ever brand loader we use.
I know back in the days of me hunting pheasants on a game farm all I did was change the shot from #8's to #5's, all else stayed the same. Loaded just fine.

Steve

It's true that loading presses drop shot by volume. However, most people select the shot bushing that will give them the WEIGHT of shot that they want. For example, if someone wants to load 1 ounce loads, they will generally pick a bushing that gives them one ounce of the shot size they want to load. If that shot size happens to be #7 1/2 shot, then that will take up more VOLUME than if they wanted to load one ounce of #9 shot.

Depending on the powder type, powder amount, wad, and shell being used, sometimes these are good fits and sometimes not. The reloading manuals don't guarantee that every combination is going to be a good fit in the shell. They just tell you what is safe.

BTW, when you changed from #8's to #5's, everything else did NOT stay the same if you used the same shot bushing. Check it out sometime if you doubt it. You'll get more WEIGHT of #8 shot than you will of #5 shot in the exact same bushing. This can make a difference in how well everything fits into the shell in SOME situations... depending on the other components and amounts.

The reason I recommended that the OP cut the shot weight was because the shell appears too full to crimp properly. However, considering how bad those reloads looked, it's difficult to tell if the amount of shot is too much or if they look bad for multiple other reasons. Reducing the shot weight certainly wouldn't hurt as far as "fit" is concerned in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ulysses wrote:
BTW, when you changed from #8's to #5's, everything else did NOT stay the same if you used the same shot bushing..

To clarify, I load with a MEC, no shot bushing to change. And by me saying "everything else stayed the same" I was referring to components and press setting. {hs#

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

YevetS wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
BTW, when you changed from #8's to #5's, everything else did NOT stay the same if you used the same shot bushing..

To clarify, I load with a MEC, no shot bushing to change. And by me saying "everything else stayed the same" I was referring to components and press setting. {hs#

Steve

But the components (specifically the weight of the shot) did NOT stay the same if you left the press at the same settings. You threw a heavier load with the #8 shot than you did with the #5 shot even though they occupied about the same space in the shell.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ulysses wrote:
But the components (specifically the weight of the shot) did NOT stay the same if you left the press at the same settings. You threw a heavier load with the #8 shot than you did with the #5 shot even though they occupied about the same space in the shell.

OK, one more time. I used my 1 1/8oz. target load, I replaced the #8's with #5's, the rest of the components stayed the same. It all fit and the hulls crimped just fine. And the pheasants all died on a LIGHTER load of #5's.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:02 pm 
Field Grade

You can get perfect crimps with the 366. Call Hornady they have an excellent service department and will give you suggestions.
Read your manuel again.
My guess is you need to play with your precrimp station. Also in MY experience when changing from one brand of hull on the 366 to another it will require some adjustment.
The 366 is an excellent machine and there are many articles on YouTube and the internet about adjustments and easy modifications.
Once you have it set up and running I would suggest staying with the same brand of hull.
You should be able to easily crank out 400 to 500 rounds per hour with less physical work than the Mec( which is also an excellent machine).

Good luck and don't give up.
John

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Looks like the OP didn't like being called an idiot and checked out. He never did say what load he was using.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Well after waiting for a new wad finger guide and a new 8 point crimp starter it seems I am able to get some pretty nice crimps. I had to adjust the wad depth a little more to accommodate the 1 1/8 oz load. It's still a pretty slow process till I get the hang of replacing the de primed hull and adding the wad but it's getting faster. I'm still not 100% on the setting for station 8, the taper crimp. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Unless you shoot an autoloader, the effect on the crimp at st. 8 is immaterial. unless you are talking about the kick out of the hull to the ejection hole.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:23 am 
Limited Edition

Pumps like a nicely tapered hull, too. You can power through an enlarged crimp, though, if you realize what is happening.

Good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jvelecky wrote:
Well after waiting for a new wad finger guide and a new 8 point crimp starter it seems I am able to get some pretty nice crimps. I had to adjust the wad depth a little more to accommodate the 1 1/8 oz load. It's still a pretty slow process till I get the hang of replacing the de primed hull and adding the wad but it's getting faster. I'm still not 100% on the setting for station 8, the taper crimp. Thanks!
The fact you are having to adjust wad depth to accommodate the 9/8 oz. load suggests there may be an issue with your load. if you could tell us what load you are using, we might be able to see of there is some problem with the stack height.

Also, with use, you will develop a rhythm. While I'm cycling the machine with my right hand, I'm reaching for a new hull with the left. After the stroke is complete, I'm taking the hull off the resize/deprime die and putting it on the shell plate and inserting the new hull while reaching for a new wad with my right hand.

And, I load standing instead of sitting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:34 pm 
Limited Edition

^^^
The ergonomics of the loading actions just about demand operating standing while running a 366. I find my hands move just as Nebs describes.

While slipping the hull into the platen (shell plate) glance quickly to the right to ensure a primer dropped.

I use a mantra when unloading the machine of the last few shells.

When last shell is at powder drop - "Last powder, close valve". Next pull - "Last Wad." Next pull "Last shot, close valve."

This prevents cleaning up a dreaded "Loose Shot on the Platen" event that almost always requires removing the shell plate to get the last of the shot out from under the shell retaining ring.

Good luck, garrisonjoe