ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hodgdon loading data????
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Look at your 4 loads; decide what velocity you want form those choices, drop the powder accordingly; it's that simple. Some folks like to over-analyze things; not necessary. If those loads are for Cheddite hulls, then there will not be a stack height issue.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:07 pm 
Crown Grade

T-Pee wrote:
OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
What dogchaser said, shotshell loading isn't like metallic loading.

For that matter, nothing about shotguns is like metallic except there's a trigger (used differently btw), it makes a loud noise and stuff comes out the front end. I've pretty much mastered rifles and pistols. Shotgunning is a complete start at Square One deal and I'm having a blast with it. :)

tp

I STARTED down this rabbit hole about 1982, loading dad's Handicap Trapload, so we could shoot trap and he didn't have to spend time loading them.

I spread out to loading various hunting loads as well over the next few years.

1989 I started loading .308W for dad's BAR to go Deer Hunting.

About 1998'ish I started loading handgun, .38/.357 for dad's Blackhawk to learn and shoot centerfire bullseye, then .45 Automatic to shoot Bullseye and IDPA shortly afterward.

Ever deeper and deeper down that rabbit hole. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I load every round I fire, which now encompasses 4 gauges (10, 12, 16, 20), 4 rifle rounds (.223R, .270W, .308W, 7.62x57R), and 5 handgun rounds (9x17mm, 9x19mm, .38Spl., .357 Mag., .45 Auto).
Target ammo, Hunting ammo, Serious Social Use ammo, every round I fire other than .22Rimfire.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Look at your 4 loads; decide what velocity you want form those choices, drop the powder accordingly; it's that simple. Some folks like to over-analyze things; not necessary. If those loads are for Cheddite hulls, then there will not be a stack height issue.

I know that, you know that, and almost all here know that, but I was just saying I could see how ezzpete could be confused with data like this where nothing changed but the weight of powder in each recipe, compared to how a pistol/rifle recipe might list the same thing, only using a minimum/maximum format. I don't know that ezzpete has progressed to picking out a velocity yet. And everything the 4th load listed would certainly not fall in the category as MAX loads. I really don't see on Hodgdon's site where they list those (especially the first three loads) as MAX loads anywhere. It doesn't show on my screen that way. It's like you said, you pick out the velocity you want, and pick that powder charge. We hope he learnt something out of all this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:59 am 
Field Grade

Nebs wrote:
Wheelspin wrote:
I agree some can be confusing
Example of 28 gauge
28 gauge AA shells, Universal Powder, Winchester 209 Primer, 1200 FPS
Hodgdon Paper manual says 14.1 Grains
Hodgdon website says 13.0 Grains
Label on powder keg says 13.0 Grains
I drop 13.1 to 13.2
Make sure you are looking at the data for the same hull. It appears you quoted the data from the printed manual for the 28 ga. AAHS hull but quoted data from the 28 ga. AACF hull from the online source. They are 2 completely different hulls and do not take the same data.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:09 am 
Field Grade

Wheelspin wrote:
Nebs wrote:
Wheelspin wrote:
I agree some can be confusing
Example of 28 gauge
28 gauge AA shells, Universal Powder, Winchester 209 Primer, 1200 FPS
Hodgdon Paper manual says 14.1 Grains
Hodgdon website says 13.0 Grains
Label on powder keg says 13.0 Grains
I drop 13.1 to 13.2
Make sure you are looking at the data for the same hull. It appears you quoted the data from the printed manual for the 28 ga. AAHS hull but quoted data from the 28 ga. AACF hull from the online source. They are 2 completely different hulls and do not take the same data.

Nebs- you are correct I had wrong shell in my on-line search
sorry for the double post :-(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:53 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

In addition to much lower operating pressures (hence no signs when one is exceeding them), garrisonjoe touched on it in an earlier post. It is the stackup of the components to achieve a good crimp. In metallic reloading your primary concern is pressure. In shotshell reloading you also have to be concerned with the fit of the components. Without a good crimp you'll get poor and erratic powder burns. Crimps can mushroom out after a while, spilling shot. While the length of the metallic case affects how it fits in the chamber, the length of the shotshell hull affects how it crimps.

By the way, not all published data will assemble perfectly. All should be safe, but some just won't fit without many adjustments to your reloader.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NSSA Referee
NSSA Level I Instructor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:42 pm 
Field Grade

Bob_K wrote:
In addition to much lower operating pressures (hence no signs when one is exceeding them), garrisonjoe touched on it in an earlier post. It is the stackup of the components to achieve a good crimp. In metallic reloading your primary concern is pressure. In shotshell reloading you also have to be concerned with the fit of the components. Without a good crimp you'll get poor and erratic powder burns. Crimps can mushroom out after a while, spilling shot. While the length of the metallic case affects how it fits in the chamber, the length of the shotshell hull affects how it crimps.

By the way, not all published data will assemble perfectly. All should be safe, but some just won't fit without many adjustments to your reloader.

Or some adjustments made to the recipe! You can't adjust the reloader to compensate for a load that 1/2" short of the crimp.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:53 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Yes, some adjustments to the recipe. Too much stuff in a hull (like a Winchester 12 ga HS hull) and I will reduce the shot drop a bit or I'll use a 1 1/8 wad for a 1 oz load. Underfilled, I place an overshot card to take up space.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NSSA Referee
NSSA Level I Instructor