ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brass sizing v decapping?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:07 am 
Utility Grade

Looking to draw on some of the collective wisdom with respect to guidelines for when to full resize brass vs just decapping?

Post subject: Re: Brass sizing v decapping?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:37 am 
Crown Grade

Suit yourself, but I always resize each and every time. Last thing I want is a shell that won’t chamber.

BP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:55 am 
Limited Edition

Are we discussing metallic or shotshells?
A little more information will make it easier in the discussion.
This is a shotgun forum after all and assumptions can be problematic.

tp

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:35 am 
Limited Edition

Resize shotgun hulls?

If you have only one gun (and don't pick up other's hulls) - just about no need to resize.
If you have all manually-chambered guns (over/unders, side by side, single barrel break) - just about no need to resize.

If you have semi autos, pumps, levers, other SGs feeding from magazines - resize.
Pick up random hulls - resize.
Use a lot of steel base rather than true brass base hulls (STS/Nitro and Win AAs) - resize

Shooting in events where life may be in danger or high speed operation is needed - resize AND THEN FINAL SIZE CHECK all finished loads!

I've shot and loaded for all those situations, so this is from my experience in THIS reality space.

Yours may vary, depending upon medications. :lol:

Good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:36 am 
Crown Grade

Just depriming would be with a 650 Mec. All others resize. At least with Mecs. I use the 650s, but only with shells my guns have fired, and that's with break open guns, not autos or pumps. JMHO.
joe and I were typing at the same time. Kind a said the same thing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:43 am 
Limited Edition

A Hornady(Pacific) 366 "separates" the resizing and decapping operations into two stations, as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:54 am 
Crown Grade

The 650 doesn't just separate them, they make it a PITA to resize. The primer tray has to be removed and resizing a separate operation, then the primer tray re-installed and adjusted. It's far easier to have a Super Sizer and just use that when necessary. I don't know anything about other presses.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:12 pm 
Field Grade

I resize every time, and this was the main reason I went with a Grabber rather than a 650 for my presses. I shoot four different O/Us, but also have a few semis that I shoot. My two cents is if it takes a few extra seconds, but allows me to chamber the round in any of my guns, why wouldnt I do that. (Also its really nice if its incorporated with another function, i.e depriming like a 600 Jr, Sizemaster, Grabber, or 9000 from Mec) Means I dont have to categorize my ammo as O/U only or Semi ammo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

garrisonjoe wrote:
Resize shotgun hulls?
If you have only one gun (and don't pick up other's hulls) - just about no need to resize.
If you have all manually-chambered guns (over/unders, side by side, single barrel break) - just about no need to resize.

I can tell you from personal experience you should always resize. I used Win AA hulls in 410 and over a few reloads they grew to the point I could not chamber them in my O/U.
Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks All for the replies. I was referring to shotgun shells. I load 12 ga ITX 10 for a 1925 LC Smith, steel for a browning cynergy, and heavy lead upland loads in 12/20. Sounds like no downside to resizing other than an extra pull of the press handle.

L.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:40 am 
Crown Grade

All of my spent shells are run thru a MEC Shell Conditioner.
It removes the primer and resizes the base.
When reloading I use a MEC 650 and a Hornady 366.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:02 am 
Crown Grade

Burnt Powder wrote:
Suit yourself, but I always resize each and every time. Last thing I want is a shell that won’t chamber.

BP

Same, here, exactly.

Doing anything else is asking for problems of some kind at some point, and Murphy only shows up when you least want to see him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:10 am 
Crown Grade

LMunsterlander wrote:
Thanks All for the replies. I was referring to shotgun shells. I load 12 ga ITX 10 for a 1925 LC Smith, steel for a browning cynergy, and heavy lead upland loads in 12/20. Sounds like no downside to resizing other than an extra pull of the press handle.

L.

No "Downside" whatsoever.

Hull Life is governed by crimp fold failure in every hull I've ever loaded for closing on 4 decades, not by "metal head over-working".
I've used Ring Sizes and Collet Sizers, rings NEVER wear out (I've tried, I swear), collets, unless overworked/abused, also don't fail (or, at worst, last a VERY long time), and are smoother (require less brute force), but require cleaning/lube maintenance.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:51 am 
Crown Grade

I started reloading in the 70s and have never noticed a shell grow, to where it wouldn't fit in my guns. A couple of years back I was loading for me, the wife, daughter, and granddaughter. We shot three times a week and going through close to 40 boxes a week. My reloading then was with a 12 and 20ga Mec 650. I shot SxSs and they O/Us. We never had a problem with shells fitting in the chambers. The only shells I reloaded were ones we shot. I do have Mec 600s for screw ups and they will resize if necessary, like shells from a auto.