ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Image



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Upgrading Reloading Press - Questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:20 am 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:32 am
Posts: 61
bladesmith wrote:
Woollymonster, you going to need some mental help if you get so easily offended. HP wrote a humorous reply and you get bent out of shape. Maybe you owe him an apology.
Cut a hole in your bench ? I've got six reloaders set on my two benches and there are holes drilled everywhere for mounting different machines over the years. Also holes cut for shells and primers to drop through. I look at my benches as work tools, not some place to eat dinner.
Sorry if I'm sounding a little offensive, but if you're around here [ or on the other forums on this website ] you'll fine things get a little, shall I say, " testy ' at times. Don't let your feathers get ruffled so easily. Have a good day. Paul


Really? Looks like I can get all the mental help I need here. As for any other intelligent advise on guns, reloading, etc, I'm not so sure. But thanks for all you have offered.

Now, I don't have thousands of post logged but, I have been reloading since 1987. I built my first bench then. I now have 5 benches from the lasts 4 decades lining my 850 sq/ft shop that is dedicated to mostly reloading. I have 4 running reloaders and several primer and powder drop stations. I have already passed one machine down to my son and another to a friend.

Though I have eaten off of my benches many times, none of them are pristine in any way and are filled with many holes, stains, and gouges. My point was, I like the shells to eject above the table so I can inspect them and box them. That is the way I do it. I don't give a crap about holes in the bench top.

So, do you have anything constructive to add to the post? Have you ever owned, used, or even seen either of the two reloaders in question?

I can argue with trolls like you with the best of them. I am not here for that.

Hows that for testy?




Last edited by Woollymonster on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upgrading Reloading Press - Questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:26 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:28 pm
Posts: 5621
Location: Missoula, MT
I don't know about the spolar, but pw sells a front drop kit for the 800+. I just made my own. I installed a pull out shelf just to the right side of the machine and the shells drop into a rubbermade tote. Works for me and no holes.

_________________
NRA Life Member

One of Many


Last edited by John H on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upgrading Reloading Press - Questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:31 am 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:32 am
Posts: 61
John H wrote:
I don't know about the spolar, but pw sells a front drop kit for the 800+. I just made my own. I installed a pull out shelf just to the right sude of the machine and the shells drop into a rubbermade tote. Works for me and no holes.


Good to know. PW is almost 3 months on backorder. I have an 800+ on order.

I have not been able to talk to Spolar yet. They are closed due to a "family emergency". Hope all is well with them. They are probably backordered as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upgrading Reloading Press - Questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:08 pm 
Tournament Grade
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:49 pm
Posts: 122
Location: SoCal
The Ponsness/Warren version of the Spolar electric vibrator is their $15 track tapper accessory that is standard equipment on their Patriot reloader. You could ask for it to be installed and tested before shipping. I did this upgrade as well as the magnetic shell seating post for my P/W900 and am very pleased with them.

By shear luck I had a spare gas welding bench with a drawer under the removable table top. I marked out the cutout right behind the shell chute and cut it. Clamped down the machine and works like a charm. I love the shell ejection on every handle pull. I also removed the shovel handle and put a ball back on. The original owner never broke the machine in as he only reloaded some 150 shells. After I put 500 shells through it and a real good lube it swings very smooth.

I have a little over $450 in this system right now. Next upgrade may be the primer tray extension or the shot/primer easy seal complete top plate kit for $95 or both.

After the summer and loading some 5000 shells with this 900 I appreciate the robustness. Am actually jones-ing for a Patriot which is a P/W800plus on steroids. Still don't like the bent monster handle though and will ask to have the straight with ball end installed. I don't even like the 1.5" ball as I like my 1" ball handle end better.

Customer service for bushings, upgrades, the manual has been rapid and simple. Only once did the wrong powder bushing get shipped and the lady rushed the correct one out and told me to keep the wrong one, which I will find a use for anyway. The confidence will help me make the decision to buy their Patriot machine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upgrading Reloading Press - Questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:27 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:32 am
Posts: 61
shovelon wrote:
The Ponsness/Warren version of the Spolar electric vibrator is their $15 track tapper accessory that is standard equipment on their Patriot reloader. You could ask for it to be installed and tested before shipping. I did this upgrade as well as the magnetic shell seating post for my P/W900 and am very pleased with them.

By shear luck I had a spare gas welding bench with a drawer under the removable table top. I marked out the cutout right behind the shell chute and cut it. Clamped down the machine and works like a charm. I love the shell ejection on every handle pull. I also removed the shovel handle and put a ball back on. The original owner never broke the machine in as he only reloaded some 150 shells. After I put 500 shells through it and a real good lube it swings very smooth.

I have a little over $450 in this system right now. Next upgrade may be the primer tray extension or the shot/primer easy seal complete top plate kit for $95 or both.

After the summer and loading some 5000 shells with this 900 I appreciate the robustness. Am actually jones-ing for a Patriot which is a P/W800plus on steroids. Still don't like the bent monster handle though and will ask to have the straight with ball end installed. I don't even like the 1.5" ball as I like my 1" ball handle end better.

Customer service for bushings, upgrades, the manual has been rapid and simple. Only once did the wrong powder bushing get shipped and the lady rushed the correct one out and told me to keep the wrong one, which I will find a use for anyway. The confidence will help me make the decision to buy their Patriot machine.


Good info. Thanks!


Last edited by Woollymonster on Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upgrading Reloading Press - Questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:22 pm
Posts: 144
Location: People's Republic of Massachusetts
The emergency is Carter Spolsr passed away recently.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upgrading Reloading Press - Questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:38 pm 
Tournament Grade
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:49 pm
Posts: 122
Location: SoCal
Oh no!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upgrading Reloading Press - Questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:22 pm
Posts: 144
Location: People's Republic of Massachusetts
It’s over on Trapshooting. Com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upgrading Reloading Press - Questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:03 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:32 am
Posts: 61
Galaxy Flyer wrote:
The emergency is Carter Spolsr passed away recently.


Yep, God Bless.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upgrading Reloading Press - Questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:55 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:21 pm
Posts: 34
Since part of this thread is about saving money shooting reloads and premium ammunition part of the reason I reload is the enjoyment of rolling my own. I love running machines and those Spolars and PWs look like very nice machines. I’d liken it to shooting skeet with a Kolar or Perazzi when a person could do just as well with a 1100. I have a Mec Grabber right now but could see myself enjoying a Spolar.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upgrading Reloading Press - Questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:55 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:21 pm
Posts: 34
Since part of this thread is about saving money shooting reloads and premium ammunition part of the reason I reload is the enjoyment of rolling my own. I love running machines and those Spolars and PWs look like very nice machines. I’d liken it to shooting skeet with a Kolar or Perazzi when a person could do just as well with a 1100. I have a Mec Grabber right now but could see myself enjoying a Spolar.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upgrading Reloading Press - Questions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:38 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:49 pm
Posts: 3612
Location: Mormon Mecca
Woollymonster,

I bought my Spolar (4 gauges w/ hydraulics) in the mid 1990's after seeing it in operation in Las Vegas at the old Comstock Skeet Shoot and talking to Carter Spolar about how it came about. His machinist background and Trap shooting passion and association with P-W made him think he could design and build an improved version of the P-W. I think he succeeded. I had 4 MEC loaders at the time and they were cranking out Skeet and hunting loads by the thousands every year. But with 2 of us shooting 15 plus 4/5-gun Skeet tournaments every year, I needed something better and saw the Spolar as meeting that need.

The Spolar is not fool-proof. It will skip a primer feed occasionally. And there will be an occasional powder or shot spill or a tipped over primer that gets crushed. MEC & P-W are subject to similar malfunctions. It's called the 'real world'. :D

My bride and I have about 350,000 registered Skeet targets total and have shoot about 3 or 4 times that amount in practice over the years, so I've loaded probably over a million rounds with my Spolar. I sent it back to Spolar after about 15 years of use for a tune-up/upgrade. Service, for me, has been 5-Star over the years. If I need a part, I can call them and it will go out that day and be in my mailbox 2 days later. Issues with something not working as it should has always been remedied over the phone.

My rating of the major players is this: MEC is the Chevrolet, P-W is the Cadillac, and Spolar is the Rolls-Royce. All are good machines and will get the job done and the companies are all known for good service. My advice is to buy the best machine you can for the budget you have.

Shoot more and shoot more often.

If you can afford the purchase price, it is the very best shotshell reloader you can buy.

_________________
Bob Hicks, from Mormon Mecca
I’m 78 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”
Image
Retired


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upgrading Reloading Press - Questions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:46 am 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:32 am
Posts: 61
dubob wrote:
Woollymonster,

I bought my Spolar (4 gauges w/ hydraulics) in the mid 1990's after seeing it in operation in Las Vegas at the old Comstock Skeet Shoot and talking to Carter Spolar about how it came about. His machinist background and Trap shooting passion and association with P-W made him think he could design and build an improved version of the P-W. I think he succeeded. I had 4 MEC loaders at the time and they were cranking out Skeet and hunting loads by the thousands every year. But with 2 of us shooting 15 plus 4/5-gun Skeet tournaments every year, I needed something better and saw the Spolar as meeting that need.

The Spolar is not fool-proof. It will skip a primer feed occasionally. And there will be an occasional powder or shot spill or a tipped over primer that gets crushed. MEC & P-W are subject to similar malfunctions. It's called the 'real world'. :D

My bride and I have about 350,000 registered Skeet targets total and have shoot about 3 or 4 times that amount in practice over the years, so I've loaded probably over a million rounds with my Spolar. I sent it back to Spolar after about 15 years of use for a tune-up/upgrade. Service, for me, has been 5-Star over the years. If I need a part, I can call them and it will go out that day and be in my mailbox 2 days later. Issues with something not working as it should has always been remedied over the phone.

My rating of the major players is this: MEC is the Chevrolet, P-W is the Cadillac, and Spolar is the Rolls-Royce. All are good machines and will get the job done and the companies are all known for good service. My advice is to buy the best machine you can for the budget you have.

Shoot more and shoot more often.

If you can afford the purchase price, it is the very best shotshell reloader you can buy.

Are the hydraulics quiet?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upgrading Reloading Press - Questions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:07 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:49 pm
Posts: 3612
Location: Mormon Mecca
Woollymonster wrote:
Are the hydraulics quiet?
I can not definitively answer that question without an actual sound level measurement. What is loud to one person may very well be quiet to another person. I have a hearing loss and have to wear hearing aids to hear normal conversations. For me, the sound of the hydraulic press is noticeable but not objectional. You may find it otherwise. It is NOT Bosch Dishwasher quiet for sure. :lol:

_________________
Bob Hicks, from Mormon Mecca
I’m 78 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”
Image
Retired


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upgrading Reloading Press - Questions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:03 pm 
Limited Edition

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:52 am
Posts: 442
Location: Eastern Kentucky
I used to load on 4 MEC 9000 hydraulic loaders. Switched to a Spolar hyd. About 18 years ago. Noise is similar but the hydraulic unit must reside under the loading bench with the MEC loaders, my Spolar hyd unit is located in the unfinished side of my basement and the loader is on the other side of the insulated wall with the two hyd lines thru the wall. Cuts way down on the noise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upgrading Reloading Press - Questions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:50 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:32 am
Posts: 61
kyskeet wrote:
I used to load on 4 MEC 9000 hydraulic loaders. Switched to a Spolar hyd. About 18 years ago. Noise is similar but the hydraulic unit must reside under the loading bench with the MEC loaders, my Spolar hyd unit is located in the unfinished side of my basement and the loader is on the other side of the insulated wall with the two hyd lines thru the wall. Cuts way down on the noise.

Man, sounds like a great setup!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upgrading Reloading Press - Questions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:41 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:28 pm
Posts: 5621
Location: Missoula, MT
Seems to me back in the old days when dot-matrix printers were all the rage they made sound enclosures for them. A number of people re-tasked them to enclose their hydraulic motors.

You could look into the electric drives. I don't think they are generally as well liked as the hydraulics - but they would be quiet. I think PW makes/made one for the Spolar, from what I've read Spolar does not recommend them (because they sell hydraulics)

_________________
NRA Life Member

One of Many


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upgrading Reloading Press - Questions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:31 am 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:32 am
Posts: 61
John H wrote:
Seems to me back in the old days when dot-matrix printers were all the rage they made sound enclosures for them. A number of people re-tasked them to enclose their hydraulic motors.

You could look into the electric drives. I don't think they are generally as well liked as the hydraulics - but they would be quiet. I think PW makes/made one for the Spolar, from what I've read Spolar does not recommend them (because they sell hydraulics)

This looks pretty sweet:

https://youtu.be/55VekVhPN7I




Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: bearman49709, Bing [Bot], birdhunter39, Boch0627, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], jandat, ninepointer, shacked


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice