ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Federal 3 inch 410 hull question on reloading.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:55 pm 
Field Grade

I been buying the federal 3 inch in blue box for squirrel loads. They dont have a crimp on them. Can they be reloaded? I hope so I been buying them to reload. I didnt like at them until today. I bought up 24+ boxes of them. I didnt know I bought 8 more boxes today for 11.00 a box. They had them in 3 inch 4's and 6's. Walmart had Winchester AA 2.5 #9 shot. If they would have been 3 inch 7.5. I would have bought them.

Post subject: Re: Federal 3 inch 410 hull question on reloading.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are recipes for 3” federal shells on the powder company web sites. I quit reloading Federals because of problems with the plastic case separating into two pieces. Not on the 3” but the 2 1/2”. I would suspect that both are made from the same material. I finally threw out all my Federal hulls.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:26 pm 
Crown Grade

I’ve not looked at a 3” Federal shell in probably 40 years and then they were roll crimped. They can be reloaded. All the 2-1/2” Federal shells I’ve seen and loaded in the past 15 years or so are a 6 fold crimp, they too can be reloaded. Federal .410 hulls are quite poor for reloading. Crimps fail quickly, hulls tend to stretch, and many of them separate sending 2/3 of the hull downrange with the wad and shot charge, commonly known as Zingers. The short version is: Yes they can be reloaded, not well or often, probably as poor of .410 hull that you can find. First choice is WW and a distant second is the Remington, then Cheddite. Everything else is a crap shoot, emphasis on crap.

BP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:21 pm 
Field Grade

Thank ya. The federal's will work if I only get 1 time. I would have bought Winchester AA ammo. But they only had 2.5 #9. I do have some older Winchester super x hulls 2.5 and 3 inch. Almost have a box of Remington long range ammo. They had Winchester 3 inch #6 steel shot . Never shot steel out of my 410. I have a new mossberg 500 410 TSS Turkey gun. It only came with a xx full TSS choke. I bought a full and IC. All I need now is a modified choke.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

You may get a one and done load from the Federal 410's. I've had crimps torn on the first firing. Definite zingers on the second and third loading. I'll pick up any 4.10 to load except Federals.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:51 pm 
Field Grade

I have been looking for once fired brass. Not going good but some will show up. But I have a bunch of factory ammo. Are the fiocchi 410 any good? I was told there is one that takes the primers in yellow box. I fount new fiocchi 3 inch hulls .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:55 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

The separation problem with Federals was more evident with some powders than others. Alliant 300MP powder seems a bit easier on the hull and is what I would recommend. Even though the hull started life as a roll crimp hull, I have been able to load with a fold crimp. That does not work as well going the other direction.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NSSA Referee
NSSA Level I Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It really should not happen with any powder recommended by the powder manufacturers. For me, it simply isn’t worth the risk that some piece of debris will be left inside my barrel. I threw about 1500 once fired ones in the trash after a few too many separations

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:47 pm 
Crown Grade

204_ruger wrote:
I have been looking for once fired brass. Not going good but some will show up. But I have a bunch of factory ammo. Are the fiocchi 410 any good? I was told there is one that takes the primers in yellow box. I fount new fiocchi 3 inch hulls .

Some load a few times, others are junk.

BP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:47 am 
Tournament Grade

Bob_K wrote:
The separation problem with Federals was more evident with some powders than others. Alliant 300MP powder seems a bit easier on the hull and is what I would recommend. Even though the hull started life as a roll crimp hull, I have been able to load with a fold crimp. That does not work as well going the other direction.

I agree with Bob K, Alliant 300MP is the only powder I’ve had any success with reloading Federal 410 cases. Everything else gives me whislers right away.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:21 pm 
Field Grade

Ok I fount some Remington sts 410 3 inch. I think is the name of the hulls. Will this hull work for me?
What wad for them? Will the older Remington 11/16 wad work? I dont think they make it anymore. But I get my hands on 2 bags of them. Plus I fount a 410 3 in mec kit to fit my mec.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:26 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Yes, that hull will work. Use the wad specified in the recipe. Load data here:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... ndex.aspx&

and here:
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NSSA Referee
NSSA Level I Instructor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:09 pm 
Field Grade

I went and looked at the data. In the 3 inch do I need to get the mec 11/16 oz shot bar? I will be loading 6's . Is win 296 or lilgun or H110 good for 410? In my area nobody has any 3000. Plus have to get a good shotgun reloading book.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is very little inference in 300MP powder vs Win296/H110. 300 MP is just ever so slightly slower. All three have nearly identical applications