ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trouble converting MEC 600 from 12 to .410 and questions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:42 am 
Utility Grade

First off, does anyone know how to tell the difference between the 2.5” shell crimper and the 3” shell crimper? The only visual difference between the two to me is where the roller is positioned. One is higher than the other.

Station 1 - I continually get significant flaring and sometimes rolling over of the open shell end during deprime and resize. Is there an adjustment for this?

Station 3 - often times the wad does not seem to want to go down without a decent amount of force. Is this normal for .410? My 28 gauge doesn’t do this. Also, on occasion the wad wants to pull out when I left the lever after dropping shot. I’m not using wad pressure but have confirmed the wad is being placed directly on top of the poweder and no air gap. Any advice?

Post subject: Re: Trouble converting MEC 600 from 12 to .410 and questions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:48 pm 
Utility Grade

The roller location is the only difference. You have to drive out a roll pin to move the roller. I have a newer MEC Jr in 410 which came with 2 crimp dies so you don't have to mess with moving the roller.

The hole in the plate where the decapping pin mounts is oversize to provide slop for locating the pin. Try loosening the nut holding the pin, run it down into a hull, and re tighten while holding it in the down position.

I have never experienced the problems you are having with seating the wad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:15 pm 
Field Grade

I am fixing to change mine over from 12 ga to 410 3 inch. I hope it was going to be easy. I did order the mec step down 410. I can leave it set on 3 inch and load 2 1/2 without resetting it. Hope the step down works right.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:43 am 
Diamond Grade

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 3&t=518720

Steve