ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A few questions on 28 ga reloading with MEC 9000
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It’s a pretty sorry state when arguably the best 28 ga hull for reloading doesn’t even have a consistent OAL for reloading along with the other problems mentioned.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

casonet wrote:
It’s a pretty sorry state when arguably the best 28 ga hull for reloading doesn’t even have a consistent OAL for reloading along with the other problems mentioned.

From a quality stand point its a sorry state when any manufacture of a product can't hold a tolerance. But, they are not in the business of making a hull for reloaders, they make ammo for shooters. Once and done.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:01 pm 
Crown Grade

YevetS wrote:
casonet wrote:

From a quality stand point its a sorry state when any manufacture of a product can't hold a tolerance. But, they are not in the business of making a hull for reloaders, they make ammo for shooters. Once and done.

Steve

I suspect the hull does hold Winchester's tolerance.

If sells of factory shells suffered just because a hull did not meet a reloaders tolerance after being fired then Winchester may adjust their tolerance to be in line with the reloaders tolerance, but only to the point that it helps them sell more factory shells.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Steve, back in the day when Winchester/Olin were in the business of selling powder, wads, and primers, one of the BIG selling points of the AA hull was its reload ability. I have copies of Winchester print ads bragging about how a AA hull can be reloaded ten times. Obviously times have changed

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:11 pm 
Crown Grade

I suspect reloadability is still a big selling point since Winchester AA hulls are still very reloadable. Slight deviations in hull length have had no negative impact on my ability to load a shell using HS hulls that will break targets. I probably get 5 or 6 loads from a 28 HS hull before some start to split down the side, but I'm sure many, if not most, will easily go 10 loads.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:29 pm 
Limited Edition

BerettaEd,
Exactly 3/4 oz not so important. My 3/4 oz bar is throwing ~ 1/32 oz light with #8.5 shot. I have not had trouble with bulging of loaded rounds after sitting for a week or two.

Thanks for pointing out an option.