ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dillon SL900 - adjustment of shot/wad guide - spilling shot
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

I changed out my 12 ga die-head for my 20ga yesterday to load up my last few thousand WinAA209's before switching over to RIO 1000-G primers for my 12ga.

I went through the setup and things have been going generally OK for the first 100 or so, but now it has started to act strange. I will get a hull that has not had shot dropped, and then I get a double shot drop in the next hull.

I have made sure that I am getting full travel of the shot arm when I set it up and I have tried to make adjustments to the wad ram/shot tube to see if adjusting it up or down makes any difference. I have found that I am just making more of a mess.

Anyone had an issue like this? Perhaps bridging of shot in the tube? Loading 8's. I had a similar issue on one of my 366's loading 26ga where shot would bridge in the drop tube every once in a while causing a similar issue.

Any thought area appreciated from the SL900 gurus.

Post subject: Re: Dillon SL900 - adjustment of shot/wad guide - spilling s
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:43 am 
Field Grade

i have a 12 ga dillon . i have never converted it to a smaller gauge , but i have learned over the years what the machine doesn't like .
1. it doesn't like small volume powder charges . the wad back pressure when seating activates the shot charge bar . not enough volume of powder in the case won't activate the shot bar .
if you lower the wad / shot tube bar adjustments to low the shot bar malfunctions .
2. the shot drop tube is very small in diameter as compared to a mec .
if the shot is slightly corroded it will hang up in the tube . as recommended to me by dillon , find a small caliber brush , affix it to a flexable wire and clean the shot tube occasionally , they claim graphite accumulates inside the drop tube .
if your shot is corroded everybody will tell you to put some graphite in the shot and agitate , personally i have found a miniscule amount of baby powder worked better for me , your mileage may differ .
3. because of the volume of powder and the internal construction inside your hull are factors .
i load 16 grs of tight group with 1 oz. of shot with claybuster tgt wad in a sts shell , i have to watch the wad seating depth and the final crimp very close or the machine won't drop shot correctly . there is a slight dish in the crimp .
when i leave all the settings for the tgt and then run a batch of winchesters aa thru they are like a factory load .
look in the lyman reloading manual where they show you the drawing of the internal of a shot shell you will see the difference between a win aa and a rem sts .
good luck , dan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:29 am 
Crown Grade

IMHO, if one hull has no shot and then you get a double drop you are bridging, it has nothing to do with set-up.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ran another frustrating hundred through it this afternoon. Probably had another 6 shells that had the issue. I lowered the wad seating/drop tube down to just barely clearing the wad. I am very sure that this is a bridging issue. If I can stand it, I will load up the last 200 out of this bag of shot and then pull the head and polish the inside of the drop tube. That worked in the past on my 366 for 28ga.

I really like this press and 12ga has been relatively trouble free (except pulling the heads off of REM Gold STS at the priming station - I have a collection of primed brass sand the plastic). I bet that 9’s will drop fine.

Thanks for weighing in.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: Western Carolina - foothills to the Great Smoky Mtns!
dandee wrote:
i ...personally i have found a miniscule amount of baby powder worked better for me , your mileage may differ ...

That’s ingenious - good chance I’m going to borrow that idea someday in the future! {hs#

MTR wrote:
...I really like this press and 12ga has been relatively trouble free ...

A buddy of mine has a 900 and loaded on everything else as he started shooting league trap as a pre-teen some 60 years ago. He positively swears by that 900 which is good as it wasn’t long before he was reloading for much more than just himself. I was blown away by the sheer quantities of finished ammo he could produce in just an hours session ... really impressive! (IIRC he settled on Rem hulls with an ounce atop 16.5 hrs e3 in either Winchester 1oz wads or the Claybuster equivalent and never changed a thing for nearly two decades of trap, skeet, sporting, 5-stand, you name he and his wife shot it all, weekly!

He STILL shakes his head at me constantly experimenting with Lite 12ga loads! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

My SL900 runs like a champ. I just loaded 3k rounds last week. I needed to tighten some screws and make a few adjustments for things that have worked out of place, but once that's done, man, it just goes and goes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:35 pm 
Crown Grade

mark-60 wrote:
My SL900 runs like a champ. I just loaded 3k rounds last week. I needed to tighten some screws and make a few adjustments for things that have worked out of place, but once that's done, man, it just goes and goes.

I am really glad to hear that, but how does that help the OP with his problem??

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

YevetS wrote:
mark-60 wrote:

I am really glad to hear that, but how does that help the OP with his problem??

Steve

It helps by saying, "Once the thing is set up and running, it's a fantastic loader". I guess.

I can't imagine why the OP is not getting consistent shot drops. If the shot bar has full travel with each pull, it should be dropping #8's with ease.

Maybe load a few "test rounds" with powder, and wad, then keep running those hulls through (no crimping stations) until the problem gets figured out. It has to be an adjustment of some kind.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

I can sit and load hundreds without any issue at all in 12ga. She runs like a top. Been loading a couple of flats a day without issues. For the last few weeks over my lunch.

Pulled the 20ga die head off after being frustrated. Found a large burr in the casting of the shot drop tube that was bridging the shot. Used a drill bit to remove that then polished the inside up nice.

Also found that I had an issue with the wad guide had a finger that was broken and hanging on the hull mouth occasionally. The plastic was older and brittle. It was chewing itself up. Replaced it and many/most of my problems have gone away.

Only thing I get now on the 20ga (and it runs in spurts) is that I will pull the brass off the hull in station 2. Remington Premier. Will do that to 2 or 3 out of 10, then run 100 without an issue. Bad batch of the rem hulls are just nicker than the AA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:34 am 
Presentation Grade

I've also gone to the darkside and have started loading Eurotrash straight-wall on it in 12ga. I have to say that I think that they load easier and better than the AA or Rem's I was going through before. I Picked up 2 cases of Rio209's - so what else was I supposed to do? I wasn't going to stretch the "good" hulls. I have tons of Rio/Fiocchi/Kent hulls available. CB6100 and American Select has been just the ticket