ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEC 9000G, perplexed
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bought a used 20 gauge 9000G few weeks ago, got 200 size primer tray, cleaned it up, and seemed to cycle well with just empty hulls. The primer drop tube easily clears hulls in station 1 and station 2.

Finally got around to dialing it in for my recipe this morning. Dialed in collet for sizing, primer drop, wad depth, pre-crimp, closing crimp, and final crimp using a single hull at a time and using the auto-advance. Shells look great. No issues with single hull and using auto advance.

Figure it's working well enough to try multiple shells at a time. So I get three hulls started and it trips up when the initial hull reaches station #3. Trying to insert the wad on hull at station #3, handle comes half way down and won't go any further. It is not obvious to my eyes where it's hanging up. So I removed hulls in station 1 and station 2, pull the handle with the leading hull still in station #3, and it drops the pellet charge, auto advances to next station fine. So I disconnect auto advance, get 3 hulls started and manually advance and same thing happens, handle stops when lead hull gets to station #3, remove hulls in station 1 & 2, then it works fine for dropping pellets. There was one time where I got 5 shells in the stations, but again hung up.

So it must be in station 1 or 2, but not obvious to my eyes where the problem is.

Post subject: Re: MEC 9000G, perplexed
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

The problem is your wad guide is too low. It comes to rest on the hull in station 3 before the lifter fork rod (wad guide is attached to this) drops far enough to allow the rim of the hull in station 1 to align with the groove in the collet.
Raise the wad guide enough so the "C" clip on the lifter fork rod touches off on the press base.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

BTW nice trouble shooting and excellent explanation of the problem.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:11 pm 
Crown Grade

YevetS wrote:

Steve

+1

Not a 20 questions job.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:40 pm 

YevetS wrote:

Steve

I love it when someone takes the time to actually see what is going on and when. Then it is easy to give them a nudge in the right direction to get over the hump and on to the next problem.
Many of the answers to the upcoming questions are here.
Answers for many MEC questions that we get here on SGW

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

I love it when the Explanation matches the problem to a T !
I'm going on my 30,000 time of pulling the handle on my 3 9000's and watching it index !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ravenanme wrote:
I'm going on my 30,000 time of pulling the handle on my 3 9000's !

You need an AutoMate for Christmas.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Steve and Curly. That seems like it will do the trick. After cleaning up the press the other week, I set the shell lifter height, but when I started to reload this morning, the additional weight on the measure threw the shell lifter off, so I adjusted shell lifter higher this morning. That must have been enough to create the situation.

Yeah believe me, I've looked thru the sticky many times, even used it putting this press back together, but there are so many helpful tips in there, I must have missed the Station #3 link. I have 2 other progressives, but this is the first w/ auto-advance.

As they say, every once in awhile a blind squirrel finds a nut. Thanks for the compliment of troubleshooting. I happened to have the day off, and not in any hurry to crank out 1000 shells today. So it was a bit easier for me to take my time, no pressure and try and trouble shoot before throwing my hands up. It let me think about what was really happening and distill it into words. Normally, I'm in a hurry to get a press set up to start cranking them out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:56 am 
Utility Grade

I went through the exact same issue with my new to me 9000G. Once dialed in and you figure out a rhythm you can reload super fast.
Oh, and you will at some point, maybe more than once, pull the handle without a shell in either the powder or shot station and make a mess.