ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is Shotgun Shell Reloading Messy?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:58 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but have been shooting Trap and Sporting Clays for years. I'm thinking about starting to re-load my own ammo and had a few questions:

1. How much area should I have to set up a shotgun shell re-loading station?
2. Can I do it inside in my home office? Is it messy? Or should I do it in the garage?
3. What brand and model would you guys recommend?

Thank you so much. Nice to have a community that enjoys this stuff. :wink:

MarlinShotgunMan

Post subject: Re: Is Shotgun Shell Reloading Messy?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:20 pm 
Utility Grade

I started out in a 4x6 shed loading 20 ga. in Nebraska in 1967. Now load in the carport shop for 34 yrs. in Az. It can be messy if your not carefull. I would put in garage. The loader used is up to how much $$ your willing to spend. I use the Mec 9000 (2) a sizemaster Mec for BP loads and a Mec Jr. at the summer place. Cost saving is not as great as it used to be. I still can reload for about $2.00 / box savings. I just enjoy reloading so cost isn't relevant to me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

IMHO its only as messy as the operator. Keep your machine adjusted and your wits about you and nothing goes wrong.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:03 pm 
Field Grade

No matter what brand of press you buy or how much it costs you WILL spill powder and shot. Thus, carpeting is a poor choice for floor covering. I had the carpeting ripped out of my loading room and put down vinyl. Recommendation for brand and model? You need to provide more information. E.g., budget, how much do you shoot, will you reload for more than one gauge, etc. I started off with a single stage Mec. Now I have a powered Spolar. That pretty much covers from the least expensive to the most expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

For a real beginner I think the MEC 600 jr is a great press. Easy to use and very durable/reliable. Even though I have a 9000 I still have 3 600 Jrs set up for hunting loads and smaller gauges.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:42 pm 
Crown Grade

One could easily get by for one gauge with a 4' bench shelf (I use a Gorilla rack so I have 2 shelves underneath for storage). Set the reloader in the middle and you should have enough room on either side for wads and empty hulls.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

You will spill powder and shot, so having a shop vac handy is good. As mentioned above carpeting is not a great idea. You don't need that much space, but you do want a sturdy bench to bolt the press to otherwise you will have inconsistent loads and even more mess. You need enough room on each side of the press to put wads and hulls, and room behind to catch the finished shells

Press choices depend on the volume you plan to reload. If you are just going to reload small volume then a single stage press is good. If you are a target shooter and are looking at high volume, start with a progressive press with auto-indexing. I started with, and still use a MEC 9000. It is fairly cheap compared to other choices, it was somewhat a PITA to get all the stations set up to load, but once I finally got it dialed in, it has been very consistent. My brother started with a Ponsness Warren 800 Plus and he pretty much had it running right out of the box with minimal adjustments, but it was more expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:53 pm 
Crown Grade

I prefer to use a steam table tray instead of having a shop-vac; better to contain the spill than clean up a wide spread mess.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I can think of things that are a lot messier.

The 'mess' is a lead shot spill, which isn't a big deal.

Single stage machines are very controllable and they are not messy at all.

Progressive machines can be messy IF you are careless and IF the machine is not adjusted correctly. Folks like to blame the machines, but every time I have had shot spill it is my fault.

Reloading is a lot less messy than taking apart a manual transmission on the kitchen table.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:00 pm 
Field Grade

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:22 pm 
Crown Grade

I reload in a closet.

In God We Trust.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:43 pm 
Limited Edition

oldthompson wrote:
I reload in a closet.

So many punchlines, so little bandwidth.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting 2 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:17 pm 
Field Grade

I just started reloading shotshells this year and I’d have to say that you most definitely will spill shot and powder as you learn. I found a used like new Mec Grabber for $300 locally that works great. It’s progressive however the shell is manually advanced so much easier to stop or backup when you have a problem or make a mistake, which you will. Nothing wrong with starting with a single stage either. I knew that I wanted to load faster than a single stage would do so went with the Grabber. The amount of room is less important than having a study bench to bolt the press too. I too enjoy reloading so cost savings isn’t nearly as important. When I first started loading shotgun I had a couple no powder loads so now I visually check each round to confirm powder charge. I haven’t had a dud in the since. Good luck and enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I quit loading about 2 years ago and put my press away because I could get Remington Gun Club shell for about $5 a box. Well shells at that price are no longer available so I dug out my re-loader. I still have a bunch of components left and wile finding primers has become a hide & seek game I am not worried as I have about 5 thousand Chedite primers in stock. Getting shot has become a bit harder and the price has gone higher than 2 years ago. All in all I enjoy reloading and I like saving money and you will find it an enjoyable hobby that can save you some money in the process. It is fore sure that when you first start out reloading you are going to have some spilled shot and powder but as you use your press and get familiar with how it works the spills get less frequent.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Marlinshotgunman wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but have been shooting Trap and Sporting Clays for years. I'm thinking about starting to re-load my own ammo and had a few questions:

2. Can I do it inside in my home office? Is it messy? Or should I do it in the garage?

MarlinShotgunMan

Welcome to the Forum,

You have already seen some great suggestions as posted above.

How much area? I use about a 4 foot wide by 2.5 foot deep area of my work bench for loading. Adequate room.

My press is mounted on a slab of 3/4 inch chunk of wood with room on the back side to put a 1/2 bag of shot on to keep it held down. Those two are in a cardboard box that is 16" by 16" by 2" deep to catch any shot that gets loose.

When not in use, I put those things away on a shelf and use the bench for work bench stuff.

A MEC Sizemaster is a good choice to start with. It sizes the hull and has an auto primer feed. Nice features.

My next step was a MEC 8567 Grabber. It's basically a manually advanced progressive (as in moving the hulls to the next station).

It doesn't have to be messy. Pay attention to what you're doing and make sure your primer drops in position correctly and you don't run out of shot, powder or primers.

I find it handy to pour my shot out of the 25 pound bag into a 1/2 gallon milk container. A little easier to use and a little less chance of spilling any shot.

And for me, I like reloading because I can't buy the loads I like to shoot: 1/2 ounce 12 and 20 gauge. Cost for me is around $3.00 per 25 round box.

Nice tested loads that perform well. Same rule applies: If you hit the target, it will break. If you miss it, it won't.

I'm not suggesting you use 1/2 ounce loads for trap tho. But for many of the average sporting clays course, they will work fine.

Enjoyable if you have some time, space and resources to do it.

And if you run into a problem, this is the place to find a solution.

Keep us posted and ask if you have more questions.

Jolly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm surprised it hasn't already been mentioned but do not pass go, do not collect $200 and do not make any decisions about which way to go until you get, and spend some time with the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Manual. Period.

I'd wager that 99% of the folks here have one or more well used editions. And even though they'll tell you a newer edition is in the works, the 5th Edition is still the latest one.

And even though I have or have had a few single stage loaders, 600 Jr's and Sizemasters, I think the best way to go is to get a progressive like a Grabber or 9000 and start out using it as a single stage doing 1 shell at a time and watch, and learn, as it progresses thru the different positions. I've started a few folks this way and they didn't have any more newbie mistakes than a few I know that started with a single stage.
YMMV

Finally, welcome to SGW.
:D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Marlinshotgunman wrote:
Hi everyone,

MarlinShotgunMan

#1- for DECADES (including dad) WE used a MEC single stage press (his, predated me), mounted to a piece of plywood (portable), plywood was roughly 1'x2'.
A foot on either side of that press (thus, a 3'x2' area) is comfortable to work in (wads on one side, primers and hulls on the other).
A MEC E-Z-Pack for box filling is nice.

#2- it CAN be messy, if you aren't watching what you are doing, moving bars without hulls under them to catch what pours out, the top plug CAN pop out of a MEC shot bottle when inverted, most when no longer really new, keeping using the "clear" MEC shot/powder bottles if they go to yellow-discoloring (they get fragile/brittle when they do this)).
It DOESN'T HAVE TO BE messy.
Incidentally, #25 bags of shot are a bit hard to handle.
I have empty Alliant gunpowder canisters, the 1-pounders, that I re-identified to hold Birdshot. Each canister will hold about 13 pounds, so a new bag gets split into 2 canisters when opened and dispensed from the canisters. Half as heavy, not floppy, can't tear.

#3, DEPENDS.
MEC (Mayville Engineering Company) is the 3,000-pound gorilla in the market.
Their presses are inexpensive, but not at all "junk" or flimsy like they look.
They have presses for every range of ammo volume need and wallet weight.
Single Stage presses like the 600Jr and Sizemaster will make around 100 shells an hour, if you only need to shoot 3 or 4 boxes a week, you can knock that out in an hour or so.
If you need A LOT of ammo constantly, the Grabber and 9000-series progressives can load over 400 rnds an hour easily.
The only difference between those is the Grabber is a Manual Index machine, the 9000 automatically advances the shellplate when the handle nears the top of the stroke.

You can buy more expensive presses certainly, and they make good shells, they however don't make shells any BETTER than the MECs do.

If you want 1 machine to load more than 1 gauge of shell, the MEC's are not your go-to. Readjusting the crimping is a real pain. MECs are best left an the gauge they are built to, or a cheap 12-gauge 600 bought to swap to an expensive 28 or .410bore ONCE and left there.
The progressives can't really be changed, because that would require the entire base to be changed as well.

The others can be changed over easier, but you pay up front on that ability, cost more to buy up front.

I use 5 MECs, 4 Single Stages (10, 12, 16, 20 gauges) and a Grabber (12 gauge).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Quote:

I think a sturdy, emphasis on sturdy, bench is important. You can reload in a very small space but normally a bit of space, maybe a bench 30" deep and 6' long allows room for a scale, wads, hulls, finished rounds, etc. That larger bench also allows for storing shot and reloads on shelves underneath which make that bench even more stable and solid.

Yes you can reload in your home office, but.......the garage might be a better choice.

If you are looking at reloading 150 to 200 rounds per hour a MEC Sizemaster gets the nod.

If you are looking for 400 - 500 rounds an hour a MEC 9000GN will work.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:44 am 
Crown Grade

I virtually eliminated the "messy" aspect of reloading when I got the bright idea to use 1 inch, angled aluminum around the outside of the loading table area. All screw heads were countersunk and I mitered the corners so there were no gaps or crevices. Thereafter when I had a screw up, the shot or powder just stayed on the table top.

When I felt like cleaning up I simply swept the spills to a corner with a hand brush and then picked it all up with a vacuum or a small dust pan. Works perfectly and no mess to any surrounding areas.

I also mounted my reloaders on a government surplus metal 3' x 3' computer/printer table. It has a large storage area underneath and is on casters that I can lock. In that way, I would pull it out to use and then wheel it back out of the way after I was no longer going to be reloading. It is also the correct height to load standing up or sitting back on a bar stool.

With this set up, I have reloaded in kitchen or master bedroom walk-in closet area and would probably be ok even in a formal living room! Not sure my bride would agree, but it really keeps all mess on table top and easy to clean up.

I love it when a plan comes together!

Last edited by oyeme on Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:46 am 
Diamond Grade

I reload in my home office, it doesn't require a lot of space, as you can see HERE.
Any MEC machine will get the job done. I went with a MEC 9000e, because I'm lazy :lol: