ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is Shotgun Shell Reloading Messy?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:56 am 
Diamond Grade

A 14"x24"x3/4" piece of plywood to bolt the press to. Next make a frame 14"x20"x 1 3/4" from trim board. This just sets on the plywood leaving a few inches of the plywood exposed up front for a c-clamp to hold the whole thing down to the bench. The frame will hold spilled shot in place and can be removed for clean up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Marlinshotgunman wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but have been shooting Trap and Sporting Clays for years. I'm thinking about starting to re-load my own ammo and had a few questions:

1. How much area should I have to set up a shotgun shell re-loading station?
2. Can I do it inside in my home office? Is it messy? Or should I do it in the garage?
3. What brand and model would you guys recommend?

Thank you so much. Nice to have a community that enjoys this stuff. :wink:

MarlinShotgunMan

I knew a guy once, years ago, who setup his reloading area on an unused coffee table in his living room. We used to go through a couple hundred rounds together on a weekend, just practicing on clays. So yes, it can be quite clean if you pay attention to the details. He was using a MEC 600 press if I remember right.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:31 pm 
Utility Grade

I mounted my 600 jr to an inexpensive cutting board that gets clamped to my workbench with deep C clamps from Harbor Freight. No reason you couldn't mount it to the kitchen table if a dedicated workbench isn't an option.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

rkrcpa wrote:
No reason you couldn't mount it to the kitchen table if a dedicated workbench isn't an option.

Lets think about this for a second....lead dust and food.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You will need space to store wads, hulls, shot and powder, which take up more room than the space need for the loader itself.

And many of use use loaders other than MEC. There is Spolar, P/W, Hornady, RCBS and Dillon. While I have never used one, the Lee Load-All does not have a good reputation.

Loaders of most all types are available on the used market, and eBay usually has listings.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:17 pm 
Crown Grade

YevetS wrote:
rkrcpa wrote:
No reason you couldn't mount it to the kitchen table if a dedicated workbench isn't an option.

Lets think about this for a second....lead dust and food.

Steve

:shock: Brother oh brother, lemme tell ya bout the time I packed up my reloading shop to move after just a decade (I dunno maybe 15 years) of reloading just 400-500 shells a week!

The pattern of where every bench foot or shelf base or ammo pallet was so distinct and clear and the dust stain so bad I HAD MOP AND REPAINT THE CONCRETE FLOOR!

It was THAT bad!

I have several ceiling mounted (DYI but nonetheless very effective) air cleaner/filters in the shop I’m putting together now (after a 5-year hiatus :-(

Last edited by thor_sen on Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:44 am 
Crown Grade

I agree with Dogchaser37's recommendation for a sturdy reloading bench. For many years, a 1930's vintage 4 ft. x 8 ft. x 1-1/2" thick wood R.R. draftsman's table served as my reloading bench. Unfortunately, it did not accompany us when we relocated to Texas. This old gent had to build a new bench that would fit in our garage work area, support a P/W 800CVT and a Texan M II-A and have a storage shelf capable of holding a couple hundred pounds of shot. I ended up with a 2' x 6' x 3' 6" bench.

Each leg is comprised of two 2 x 4's sandwiched together leaving gaps to accept horizontal members. All horizontal 2 x 4's rest squarely on top of vertical 2 x 4's. The bottom shelf, side and back walls are 3/4" plywood. The top is 1-1/2" thk. butcher block left over from a kitchen remodeling job. Its all held together with deck screws. 1/2 x 3/4 pine molding around the perimeter retains any spilled shot. A removable corner plug in the molding allows any shot to be brushed into a container for easy clean-up.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

It's only as messy as you are. But you WILL have a spill or two, getting started. Good lighting is important, clean up as you move forward. Store components away and only get out what you're gonna load. Stop and clean up every couple of hours.

Now my work bench is only 24 x 24, but it's supplemented by 2' x 5' and all is bolted into the wall. Lots of LED lighting all around. Clean up with 18v shop vac and air hose. Biggest advice I have is to limit to one load at first with no variance. Start in progressive press with single shell and figure out what all can go wrong. If there's ever an "uh-oh" Stop and go back several steps.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:47 am 
Limited Edition

Like many others have mentioned, I have my presses mounted to sturdy blocks of wood, 2x12s or layered plywood. That way I only need bench space for one press at a time.

The bench is old kitchen cabinets with a formica countertop. I found that putting an old bath towel underneath, folded in half, both smoothed things out (including improved drop consistency) and helped with "mess." If a couple flakes or bits of shot sneak out, they get stuck in the towel. whenever I change presses I carefully roll it up, go shake it out in the flower garden, and a few times a year I wash it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

doppelflinten,

When we moved, I moved my reloading bench. It is built from 2x4's, 2x10's and plywood.

After seeing yours, mine is definitely a bit worn around the edges.......hmmmmm looks like another winter project!!

Nice stuff!!

Thanks for the motivation!!

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have nothing against "sturdy" at all and when I build something that is usually one of the first requirements. However, if your anticipated reloading volume and budget can justify it, you might consider a powered progressive press like the MEC 9000E or 9000H. Since you are not pulling on a handle there is pretty much no force being transmitted to the table/bench and sturdy becomes much less important.

My 9000H sits on some homemade risers on a small piece of plywood and the whole thing sits in a plastic dish washing tray that is about 18 x 14 inches and 4 inches deep. The tray captures nearly all the spillage (when there is some) and nothing is attached to the table it sits on. With this setup a 2 x 4 foot old school table is plenty of space and plenty sturdy. This approach only works with powered presses.

The comments above about flooring and avoiding food areas are spot on. My reloading room has indoor/outdoor carpet glued to the floor (house came that way when we bought it) but I wish it were vinyl or something similar. Fortunately the press arrangement captures any spillage well enough that I haven't been motivated to rip up the carpet and put down something else (yet).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you buy components in economic quantities, shot and powder and primers and wads can make for a lot of clutter. That could be an issue if space is limited.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:45 pm 
Utility Grade

It can be as little or as much space you want it to be. I load on a MEC 9000E Automate and when I stop I leave the machine loaded at all stations and just pick up where I left off when I start back reloading.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:54 am 
Utility Grade

Lol count on it raining shot and powder at times haha especially in the beginning or when your
experienced and switch to a new press
On more than one occasion for laughs I’ve weighed the amount of shot I picked up off the floor and actually had enough to load 3 more shells haha and that was only what I could find.