ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New guy with 10-gauge questions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:07 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello everybody --

As you might have guessed, I'm new here. I have some reloading questions about my 10-gauge single-shot.

I don't have any real experience with 10-gauge, most all of the reloading I have done was 30+ years ago with 12-gauge AA hulls on a friends MEC press. We used to have a lot of fun busting clay birds. Waterfowl is a big deal in my area although I don't hunt any more.

My new (to me) H&R Topper has a 3-1/2" chamber with a 30" tube, full choke and it looks like a mirror in there. It fits me perfectly and swings beautifully. I am strongly considering getting some brass hulls in 2-7/8" and loading the old-fashioned way, with smokeless and hopefully a mix of 2-oz shot. Is this going to damage the chamber or bore? Or should I stick with the 3-1/2" plastic hulls? Planning on lead shot since I'm not hunting.

One other dumb question: is there any kind of "Sporting Clays" game that would be legal with the 10-bore? I live about 3 blocks from a local club...

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: New guy with 10-gauge questions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

Welcome to SGW.
From the pictures I saw your gun is a single shot break. So shooting SC is going to be difficult because there are some true pairs. Now, if the club "3 blocks" away sets their course so you can throw all singles you should be good to go.
But if that club limits gauge size you are out of luck. All the clubs around here do not care about gauge, you just can't use shot larger then 7 1/2's.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Welcome! Your brass hulls at 2 7/8 inch will not cause any damage in your 3.5 inch chambers. Reload away and enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:26 pm 
Crown Grade

As already stated, your gun will be fine with brass hulls. Do you have a source for brass hulls? I would like to know where if you do. The only sources I know of are cost prohibitive. Since your gun is a single shot, which is probably relatively light, you might want to consider light loads. I shoot crows with 2-7/8" hulls loaded with 1 1/4 oz. lead shot often. I shoot 1.5 oz. loads in 3.5" guns regularly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Make sure the brass hulls take a 209 primer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:40 am 
Presentation Grade

I load and shoot 2 7/8 inch 10 G on Sporting courses. Routine is let them know at check in “2 7/8 inch 10 1 & 1/8 oz # 7 1/2 1180 FPS” is it OK to shoot ? “

Most say yes, others have wanted to see it break a couple clays. Ones that say no generally employees that don’t have authority to make the call. I can understand having 10 G restrictions, big 10 field loads can be offensive on a course. Not likely to go a full 100 shot round either cutting courses income.

Always ask, bring another gun and don’t debate the call my advise .

Bass

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Brass shotgun shells are either thin Mag-tecks or turned Rocky Mountain brass. The RMs use shotgun primers, the MTs pistol or rifle primers, and there's nothing wrong with that. The MTs use fiber wads, 10 or 11ga, and those are what you want if shooting black powder. A plastic wad is kind a sloppy in them. I personnal never had any luck shooting nitro powder in brass shells. I believe it's because you need enough resistance in the crimp to get good pressure. The military brass shotgun shells have a slight roll crimp. I sold the 200 Mag-tecks I had because I couldn't seem to get good nitro loads out of them. BP loads were great, but I got tired of cleaning shells. My chambers are 2 7/8 in my Remington, Parker, and Lefever 10ga SxSs. I've shot all the way down to 2 1/4" shells with no problem. But then I'm shooting target loads at clay birds - 1 to 1 1/8oz loads. One oz is real nice for recoil. I suggest you load up a shell or two with two ounces first before you get carried away. Even a 1 1/2 oz load is going to kick with that light a gun. Mine weigh more than 8#s, and I wouldn't even think of 2oz loads. In a semi auto they might be ok. I have a wad bag of 10ga plastic hulls if you want some. They can be cut down to what ever length you want. Go to www.parkerguns.org. and in their reloading forum they have many 10ga, 2 7/8oz loads listed. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

You can shorten 3 1/2" plastic hulls by cutting them off. Length will depend on whether you wish to roll crimp or regular crimp.

Probably a lot cheaper than brass hulls and less headaches.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Amen, Amen.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Agree with both above. Brass sounds neat but not worth the trouble . Another issue is cost of enough hulls to load and keep what’s needed on hand. Clays guns I like to keep 250 hulls going same lot. Two rounds of sporting clays & extras to cover lost or damaged .

Brass I could probably afford 20. No use for 20 loaded shells except low volume hunting

Bass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

All I can say, is OUCH!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

PeterAVanTassell wrote:
Hello everybody --

As you might have guessed, I'm new here. I have some reloading questions about my 10-gauge single-shot.

I don't have any real experience with 10-gauge, most all of the reloading I have done was 30+ years ago with 12-gauge AA hulls on a friends MEC press. We used to have a lot of fun busting clay birds. Waterfowl is a big deal in my area although I don't hunt any more.

My new (to me) H&R Topper has a 3-1/2" chamber with a 30" tube, full choke and it looks like a mirror in there. It fits me perfectly and swings beautifully. I am strongly considering getting some brass hulls in 2-7/8" and loading the old-fashioned way, with smokeless and hopefully a mix of 2-oz shot. Is this going to damage the chamber or bore? Or should I stick with the 3-1/2" plastic hulls? Planning on lead shot since I'm not hunting.

One other dumb question: is there any kind of "Sporting Clays" game that would be legal with the 10-bore? I live about 3 blocks from a local club...

Thanks!

I reread your post. Are you planning on hunting with this gun or are you just going to shoot clays? In any case, there is no reason to launch 2 oz. of shot at either ducks or flying saucers. Your best steel loads for ducks are going to be closer to 1-1/2 oz of steel and clay targets don't require more than an ounce and an eighth of lead.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:34 am 
Presentation Grade

I think that H&R Topper is light. Do yourself a favor and load some 3 1/2 inch hulls shortened to 2 7/8 with SP 10 wads 16 g fiber filler bottom of the shot cup. 1 - 1 1/8 - oz Red Dot using published 12 G data for those shot weights Trim the fiber wad to make the stack height come out right. Roll or fold crimp. If fold MEC 600 with MECs short kit. If roll add over shot wad.

My two 10 SxS guns 9 lb Ithaca & 10 lb Parker use 1 or 1 1/8 for targets. Light recoil perform great. No way I would use heavy shot loads in a lightweight 10. Most I use is 1 1/4 # 6 for crows. Before Magnums came out 1 3/8 was the heaviest regular 10 load.

Bass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:21 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks, guys! Got exactly the kind of answers I needed!

I love the old Toppers, I could buy one every month if I could find any. So I don't want to damage what I have, even though they really aren't worth that much. Or any break-action singles and doubles.

I'm a lot more used to doing the 12-ga AA hulls, so this is completely new territory for me. I think I'll go with the 2-7/8 as suggested and 1-1/2 oz max loads.

Right now I'm still doing a lot of reading and learning about reloading for these. A press is not in my future for financial reasons, it'll all be done by hand the old fashioned way. I am looking for a source of shot and primers these days.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:13 pm 
Crown Grade

If you're interested a 10ga Parker, weighs about 9.5 to 10 lbs, and I believe it's been restocked [ very nice but the wrist is too thick to be a Parker stock-maybe the original cracked and was made thicker ] for $600 plus shipping. I have too many SxSs and need to thin things out. Hope this is OK here. [email protected] You could shoot those heaver loads in this gun. It got just a bit too heavy to swing on our SCs course.