ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ponsness Warren 375; how to tell if it was upgraded?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've got a PW 375 in 28ga that I bought used. How can I tell if the dies were subsequently upgraded to the taper crimp die set? Is there some sort of marking on the 375c dies?

Post subject: Re: Ponsness Warren 375; how to tell if it was upgraded?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:34 pm 
Crown Grade

There are no marking that I know of, but if a hull sticks up above the sizing die by roughly 5/8-3/4" it would indicate it's a taper crimp die.

Also, the final crimp die will have an adjustment nut below the top plate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:34 am 
Crown Grade

Yep, if the press has taper crimping ,then finished shells will be longer than the height of the sizer, and the hull knock out will be a spring loaded cup, isntead of just a straight solid rod.

So in this tool set up, we have both 20 and 12 gauge tools.
If you look just right of the screw driver handle, will note that the 12 gauge side knock out tool is solid rod, so not taper crimping on the 12 gauge side.

On the other side of the tool set, 20 gauge tool set does have spring loaded cup for knock out tool, so 20 gauge is taper crimping tool set instead.

Hence with taper crimping and since the end of the finished hull will be longer than the sizer, the knock out too has to be a cup, that holds the finish shape of the shell as it being driving down to be ejected out of the sizer (without the top of shell above the sizer just peening isntead.

As for farther down the rabbit hole if we must, non taper crimper on the left, and taper crimper on the right.

So to turn a Pw375 not taper too set into taper crimping tool set, the just need the shorter sizer, spring loaded knock out tool, and taper crimper.

https://www.reloaders.com/collections/a ... -crimp-kit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:59 am 
Presentation Grade

Unless you shoot a semi auto, it wont make a hill of beans if its "upgraded" or not. Even in my 1100, I dont have any issues with my original 375, unless Im loading some really over used hulls. They may mushroom at the crimp end, resulting in FTF.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:57 am 
Crown Grade

rosiesdad wrote:
Unless you shoot a semi auto, it wont make a hill of beans if its "upgraded" or not. Even in my 1100, I dont have any issues with my original 375, unless Im loading some really over used hulls. They may mushroom at the crimp end, resulting in FTF.

I agree that in most cases the taper crimp dies are not absolutely essential.

However, having loaded thousands using the older system, and then switching to the newer taper crimp assembly, I really prefer the newer system. It can be adjusted in several ways until you get that factory identical looking crimp. It also provides a crimped shell that falls into a chamber like a new factory shell VS having to be helped with a little push.

Like I said, I have loaded many thousands on older system but for me the newer taper crimp die was worth the price.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:54 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks a bunch, the pics really helped! I needed to know because I'm missing the knockout tool (in my case, a solid rod) for my 28ga dies and wasn't sure which I needed to order. I've been using my .410 knockout tool, but it's been caving in some of my 28ga shells.

CORRECTION: Turns out the die that I thought was a funky, long crimping die was the knockout tool for my 28ga taper crimp die set. Apparently, one of the previous owners decided to upgrade only the 28ga die set. The joys of buying unfamiliar used reloading equipment...still got a good deal!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

I converted two 375s to taper crimp. Turns out a better looking load & requires less handle pull weight on knock out. Intended for autos it’s an advantage with tight breeched doubles too.

Bass