ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 10 gauge - can a load be too big?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:41 am 
Presentation Grade

This is a factory ammo question but I didn’t know where to put it forum wise so bear with me. This looked like the closest category.

I want to try TSS in my SP-10 and I know I don’t need a load that large but wanted to give it a try, just once this spring. I found some 2.5 oz #9 loads at 1100 FPS.

My question is, will that size of load do damage to my gun? I obviously don’t want that to happen especially with parts being a rarity.

Let me know your thoughts and thank you.

Post subject: Re: 10 gauge - can a load be too big?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:08 am 
Diamond Grade

Its not the size of the load that damages guns, it's the pressure the load creates.
For me the question is, What does one shoot a TSS load of 2.5 oz. of #9's at?

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:17 am 
Presentation Grade

How do you determine the pressure amount? That is what I am trying to figure out.

Good question and I honestly just want to see how far I can get a pattern. Call it me just being curious and liking to play around with my gun in the off season. Not for killing animals, just having some fun.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:30 am 
Crown Grade

I have loaded 2.5 oz. lead loads in the 10 ga. Bigger is not always better! To get something you usually have to give up something. Nobody seems to understand the concept of a balanced load these days. What you describe doesn't strike me as a balanced load. I am a long range pass shooter & jump shooter from way back but there are practical limits. How far can you reliably & consistently hit a goose? If you have this hypothetical load that will kill dead at 100 yds. & assuming you can hit something that far, what does that pattern look like at the range you shoot most of the waterfowl you hunt? I think that TSS will exceed the practical range to shoot at waterfowl with far less 2.5 oz. of shot. Maybe you are a better shot than me but 13 g/cm^3 tungsten alloy kills as far as I want to shoot at anything. Also, don't forget one of the biggest assets of the big gun is it's fantastic follow through which is derived from it's weight. It doesn't require massive amounts of shot to be effective. Light wimpy guns don't usually make good long range waterfowl guns! Yes, provided you have a wad that will provide adequate barrel protection, I see nothing to prevent such a load from being created but at what cost?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:44 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks geometric, great info.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:05 am 
Diamond Grade

Specklebelly wrote:
This is a factory ammo

Specklebelly wrote:
How do you determine the pressure amount? That is what I am trying to figure out.

It has to be ( better be) below SAAMI specs.

Or you can send them to a lab for testing.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

Worry about reloads. If a factory shell exceeds SAAMI specs and blows up, they are on the hook for that, but that is extremely rare and usually will result in an ammo recall. You're good to go. Those SP10s are tanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

YevetS wrote:
Its not the size of the load that damages guns, it's the pressure the load creates.
For me the question is, What does one shoot a TSS load of 2.5 oz. of #9's at?

Steve

What a crushing skeet load that would be—at both ends!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Galaxy, I understand your humor, but I like my old 10ga hammer guns [ Remingtons, Lefever, or Parkers ] and 1oz loads are killers at target shooting. The shot string is so short, you get really killer patterns. Mod chokes don't hurt. They're also great at trap or SCs. Americans usually think bigger is better and that's not always true. I think Geo hit the nail on the head.