ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RP16: The lost wad of the 16ga gods.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

Anyone have a wad that can be used with the RP16 data? I'm cooking up a 16ga bismuth reload, and stepping back into reloading after a couple of year layoff.

I just ordered a slew of AA16 claybuster clones because the skirt is supposed to seal up well, which I hope will hinder powder migration. The capacity should work (fingers crossed) as I'd like to get to 1 oz of #4s - which sort of cuts out the DR16.

Any advice on the Italian offerings from Precision or Ballistic?

Thanks kind Reloaders!

Post subject: Re: RP16: The lost wad of the 16ga gods.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

The skirt of the Claybuster AA16 clone does not seal as well as Remington R-16 and SP-16 wads.
The AA16 clone is significantly taller than the Remington wads.
I am down to one half bag of R-16 wads. It I see any more in a gun show, I will pounce on them.
The only solution that I have is to use SP-16 wads with a filler felt wad in the bottom of the cup, where I would have used the R-16 wads previously.
I use Ballistic Products Z-16 wads in Cheddite hulls and find them perfectly satisfactory.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What hull are you using?

If you are going to reload 1 oz. of Bismuth you need a 1 1/8 oz. lead wad, so the SP-16 wad in a Remington hull works fine.

You can ask on 16ga.com if anyone has some R-16's.

Not sure that is the wad you want for 1 oz. of Bismuth. The R-16 won't fit well in the Federal, Cheddite, RIO or Fiocchi hulls, as it will allow for powder migration just like the SP-16 wad does.

I am not sure if the SG16 or the Z2M wads will hold 1 oz. of Bismuth in the Federal, Cheddite, RIO or Fiocchi hulls.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

The Z-16 (z2m) wad cup is significantly less deep than the SP-16, allowing more shot contact with the bore.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:21 am 
Diamond Grade

Dogchaser37 & Saskbooknut,
Currently there are some bags of CB16 BLUE 1oz -1 1/8oz Claybuster wads winging their way towards me. Holding a few bags of of straight wall hulls that I've gathered over the years (mostly Fiocchi), and I probably have a bag or two of Wins (2 piece) and Remington blacks.

Wondering if the Remington 16ga wad manufacturing biz went to hull heaven, with the ammo business being purchased by Vista during the Rem bankruptcy. If there was a bid that I missed, and another wad manufacturer purchased that part of the biz, it'd be great.

Seems I'm going to have to work up a load with the CBs, and send them in to test, since data for the CB Blue is rare as hen's teeth

Gotta roll with the changes, and if that means that the CBs end up my go-to target wad, and the BP SG16 or BP z16 become the new hunting wad, I'm okay with that. Just have to do the work, but since I'm only looking to get to 1300 FPS for Bismuth loads so it shouldn't too tough.

Thanks to you, and to Saskbooknut!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:09 am 
Presentation Grade

Those Remington Game hulls are the only 16 gauge hull left in recent production that the AA16 clones fit well in.
It remains to be seen what Vista production of Remington ammo becomes in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

slowshooter,

The CB0100-16 wad is a clone of the Winchester WAA16 wad for which there is plenty of data.

I don't see a negative not using the R-16 wad and having to use the CB0100-16 wad.....at least in Remington hulls.

I am not a big fan of the CB0100-16 in straight wall hulls other than the Remington, as powder migration can be a real problem. There is at least one person I know that stretches the over powder cup before he reloads the CB wads in Federal, Cheddite etc. hulls and has good luck doing that.

For 1 oz. Bismuth loads I use the SP-16 wad in the Remington hull. For 1 1/8 oz. Bismuth loads I gave up messing around with the SP-16 wads years ago and went to a plastic gas seal/Mylar wrap/felt cushion wad combination. A bit time consuming, but the components are available and there are no powder migration issues. I probably use a box or so a year of the loads so it isn't a big deal.

Using the Federal, Cheddite, RIO, Fiocchi etc. hulls for lead shot you can't beat the Gualandi or Bascheri & Pellagri 1 oz. wads that Precision Reloading and Ballistics Products sell.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’ve got a couple of bags of Activ wads (T32) I think for 11/8 oz or more. The base fits a straight wall nicely. If interested send me a PM

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith