ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inexpensive way to reload shotgun
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:56 pm 
Field Grade

I am thinking about getting started reloading shotgun shells.

Just a low volume amount probably around 250 rounds a year with Buckshot.
I would be loading for both a 12 Gauge and a 20 gauge.

And to avoid being held hostage by either unavailability or High online ammo prices.

The only reloading equipment I currently have is a Lee Hand Press ,Lee scales,lee Hand scoops.

I am 60 years old and have reloaded for Rifle and Pistol but never for a shotgun.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Inexpensive way to reload shotgun
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

For your application go with a lee load all. Cheap and functional. However, shotshell reloading is habit forming and you may outgrow a load all quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:41 pm 
Crown Grade

And remember that loading buckshot is a different animal than regular target loads.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:30 pm 
Crown Grade

If you insist on reloading I would not purchase anything less than a used MEC 600 jr. Ask around at a local trap and skeet range and someone will probably have one they will sell for less than $100. Since you shoot so little, you can buy the conversion kit for the other gauge and convert the press once you have a lifetime supply loaded for the other gauge. Once you have loaded a lifetime supply for each gauge, sell the press.

However, if your only reason for reloading is to not be held hostage to shortages, I would just wait until they become available again and spend your money stockpiling a lifetime supply of shells.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

I would only give Lee Loadall to someone I didn’t like. Buy the MEC junior used and will it to the kids.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:14 pm 
Limited Edition

I read the thread title and first thought "There ain't".

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting 2 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Honestly if you're only going through 250 rounds a year, it probably won't be worth it to reload, esp if you don't have any of the equipment or components already.

I realize factory ammo is hard to get right now, but powder, primers, and lead are equally hard to get, so it's not like it's going to be too much easier to get the components to handload your own at this point.

If you get to the point where you're able to cast your own buckshot, you might be able to make it work financially. Ballistic Products OO buck will run you about 75 bucks for enough pellets to load 250 rounds.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:16 am 
Presentation Grade

If you are going to load buckshot, and want to save money, a Lee mold for casting shot is a necessity.
You will not save "significant money" setting up to reload 2 gauges, ten boxes a year total.
You can find a used MEC 600 Jr. for about the price of a Lee Loadall II new.
I recommend that you buy at least a flat (10 boxes) of the loads that you like in each gauge, when the ammo comes on sale.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:25 am 
Crown Grade

bcraig wrote:

And to avoid being held hostage by either unavailability or High online ammo prices.

The only reloading equipment I currently have is a Lee Hand Press ,Lee scales,lee Hand scoops.

I am 60 years old and have reloaded for Rifle and Pistol but never for a shotgun.

Thanks
Sorry Sir, but you haven't thought this through very well. You will be needing 2 loaders and primers, wads, shot, and a BuckShot specific data manual. Initial investment is going to set you back several hundred dollars. It will take you years to amortize that initial cost. At current prices for components, you will be able to load a 25 shell/box buckshot for about $15/box, give or take. You can buy 25 buckshot loads for generally about $20 to $25 per box depending on source and shipping. So you will save at least $5 per box or $50 a year. So it will take at least 5 years or more to amortize the cost of the 2 presses. It really isn't cost effective to load your own unless you plan to continue doing it for 10 years or more - IMHO.

On the other side, it IS fun and rewarding to make your own. :lol:

Retired

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:19 pm 
Field Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
Honestly if you're only going through 250 rounds a year, it probably won't be worth it to reload, esp if you don't have any of the equipment or components already.

I realize factory ammo is hard to get right now, but powder, primers, and lead are equally hard to get, so it's not like it's going to be too much easier to get the components to handload your own at this point.

If you get to the point where you're able to cast your own buckshot, you might be able to make it work financially. Ballistic Products OO buck will run you about 75 bucks for enough pellets to load 250 rounds.

Probably will not tbe that easy to find the components either.
Although I have never cast buckshot for Years I cast my own handgun bullets for plinking and Hunting.
Some soft cast ,some Hardcast using water dropped wheelweights and some paper patched Pure Lead for use in a 10 inch Contender 44 Magnum.That way I got the great performance Of a Pure Lead LBT LFN (lead flat nose) for deer hunting,without any leading because of the paper patching ,I used computer labels for the Patching .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:51 pm 
Field Grade

dubob wrote:
bcraig wrote:

Thanks
Sorry Sir, but you haven't thought this through very well. You will be needing 2 loaders and primers, wads, shot, and a BuckShot specific data manual. Initial investment is going to set you back several hundred dollars. It will take you years to amortize that initial cost. At current prices for components, you will be able to load a 25 shell/box buckshot for about $15/box, give or take. You can buy 25 buckshot loads for generally about $20 to $25 per box depending on source and shipping. So you will save at least $5 per box or $50 a year. So it will take at least 5 years or more to amortize the cost of the 2 presses. It really isn't cost effective to load your own unless you plan to continue doing it for 10 years or more - IMHO.

dubob wrote:
bcraig wrote:

Thanks

Hi
I think that I have thought through this extremely well and continue to do so.
I have asked questions and will keep on asking questions to gain the Knowledge that I do not have .
On the other hand
For me to have jumped in without knowing the cost and types of equipment to buy is an example of not thinking through things very well !

With current ammo prices of upwards of $2.00 a round and more including taxes and sometimes more,and the unavailability of the ammo to buy in most places .
It seems to me that reloading might be a good idea.

As far as cost ,It seems like 2 of the Lee Loadalls cost about $150.00 with the cost of components of course.
Or I could use a Nail and a mallet.Hornady crimp starter and
a wooden dowel and the scales and Lee scoops I already have and components and get started.
Less than $25.00 for the tools and then whatever the components cost providing I can find them.Read about doing it that way on Youtube while investigating Shotgun shell reloading on You Tube.

Plus I could tailor loads like I am used to doing with centerfire Rifle and handguns for years.
For example I could Load up some 1ounce 1000 fps Loads for my wife 20 gauge that would not kick her as much.Although she is a pretty tough 85 Pound 70 year old lady !

Yes Reloading can be fun.
I have been reloading for over off and on for over 45 years.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Used Mec 600 & lee scale you could tool up less than 100 bucks may be even cheaper if you have a drill press and roll crimp. Omit the 600 still need a powder scale but you probably have one anyway

I would prefer roll over one of the cheap hammer and punch sets. Particularly with buckshot.

Bass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Used MEC Jrs are over $100 and have been; some are pushing $150

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

Here is your answer. This gets asked so often that I wrote it all up on a blog...
Basic Reloading Starting Equipment
https://pipesf16.wordpress.com/basic-re ... equipment/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:38 pm 
Limited Edition

I would get a Mec 600jr and set it up for target loads then pruchase a roll crimper and load buck shot by hand weighting the powder, setting the wad with a dowel and roll crimping the hull.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:51 am 
Presentation Grade

There is no way to make low volume shotshell reloading pay. It has to be a labor of love. The components alone bought in small amounts are expensive regardless of how one loads them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:12 am 
Field Grade

Reloading is a pleasurable hobby. Take your time acquire the components and enjoy the ride. If this is what you want to do do worry about the amortization portion. Get your new toys together and reload for the fun of it and you will always have ammo to boot!

NSCA Life Member 511461 Since 1993.
War Eagle!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:46 pm 
Field Grade

Bass3 wrote:
Used Mec 600 & lee scale you could tool up less than 100 bucks may be even cheaper if you have a drill press and roll crimp. Omit the 600 still need a powder scale but you probably have one anyway

I would prefer roll over one of the cheap hammer and punch sets. Particularly with buckshot.

Bass

O do not hve a drill press but I do have several drills,I do Have a Lee Powder scale as I stated in my first post.

Why would you prefer a Roll crimp over a 6 or 8 star crimp ?
In subsequent Reading about roll crimping it seems as though Most factories use star crimping and that the use of a roll crimp often times results in Less Magazine capacity.

I would not think that less Magazine capacity would be beneficial in any scenario especially if used for Home defense it would be considered a detriment.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:52 pm 
Field Grade

Allguns wrote:
Reloading is a pleasurable hobby. Take your time acquire the components and enjoy the ride. If this is what you want to do do worry about the amortization portion. Get your new toys together and reload for the fun of it and you will always have ammo to boot!

I take it that you mean do NOT worry about amortization ,and I also agree about always Having ammo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:32 am 
Crown Grade

I've roll crimped for years, and here's my personal take on it. I live next to our club and can get all the empties I want for free. Roll crimping looks nice, and that's it. Because to roll crimp a shell the second time is a PITA [ straightening out the crimp ] they're just tossed away. If using fold crimped shells, the folds have to be removed [ cut off ] to get a good, nice looking RC shell. As you said, it does allow you to make shells with just primitive hand tools and one store bought RCing tool for $30. RCing doesn't change magazine capacity - the length of the shell doesn't change from a fold crimp to a RC. You cut a 1/4" off the fold crimp shell to RC, but the RC shell takes a 1/4" less material to make a crimp. Either way the final result is around 2 1/2" finished shell. You could make short shells any length you wanted with the RC and fiber wads from www.circlefly.com Other than that, I'd do as I think it was you who suggested, buy a couple of Lee presses and have at it. For the amount you're going to do they'll work just fine. I used one for over a year before I ended up with eight different Mec presses for five different gauges.