Shotgun Forum banner

Duster wads

878 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  MAX & TOBY 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of buying a 28ga Browning and I want to get reloading supplies while I'm waiting.
The load I'm looking at is this, from the Alliant site:
3/4 0z @ 1200 fps
Win AAHS hull
Win 209 primer
13gr 20/28 powder
Duster 2834 wad

My question is, is the Duster 2834 wad the 28ga red duster?
I can't find a part number on the DR site and I see only the red duster.

#3 ·
Curly N said:
ceh383 said:
I'm in the process of buying a 28ga Browning and I want to get reloading supplies while I'm waiting.
The load I'm looking at is this, from the Alliant site:
3/4 0z @ 1200 fps
Win AAHS hull
Win 209 primer
13gr 20/28 powder
Duster 2834 wad

My question is, is the Duster 2834 wad the 28ga red duster?
I can't find a part number on the DR site and I see only the red duster.
Yes, but I think we had trouble with that wad in cold weather resulting in splatty sounding reports.
Thanks Curly, when you say "cold weather" what kind of temps are you talking?
Keep in mind, I'm in So. Cal...Doesn't get too cold here.

#5 ·
MAX & TOBY said:
JMO but I stopped using the red duster after downrange took over. I'm using the same load data that you want to use but have switched to the CB-5034-28HS wad and never looked back. Again, JMO.
Thanks M & T, but what is the real difference?
I have not bought anything yet and am open to suggestions.

#6 ·
ceh383 said:
MAX & TOBY said:
JMO but I stopped using the red duster after downrange took over. I'm using the same load data that you want to use but have switched to the CB-5034-28HS wad and never looked back. Again, JMO.
The temps were in the 30's to your other question.
I have measured the Red Duster and the CB-5034-28HS-B wads in every dimension and there is no difference of any consequence. I can see no reason to not use the same data and I do.

#7 ·
Curly N said:
ceh383 said:
MAX & TOBY said:
I have measured the Red Duster and the CB-5034-28HS-B wads in every dimension and there is no difference of any consequence. I can see no reason to not use the same data and I do.
Ok, did this stop the cold weather issues?
We don't have too many days in the 30's, so probably not an issue here. Just wondering...

#10 ·
ceh383 said:
Curly N said:
ceh383 said:
MAX & TOBY said:
Ok, did this stop the cold weather issues?
We don't have too many days in the 30's, so probably not an issue here. Just wondering...
I have bought more of the Claybusters and no more of the Dusters. I have no more chilly day bloopers, so I assume the problem is fixed.

#11 ·
Based on the recommendations here, I'll go with the CB wads. I use CB wads in my 12ga loads and have had no issues with them.

Inquiring minds want to know...
If the Duster and CB wads have the same measurements, why would one have cold weather issues and the other not?
Is it the polymer used?

#13 ·
The original dusters had a "slick" feel to them and were shiny red. After DR took over it was a long period of time for them to come back on the market and even then they were hard to find. That's
when I changed to the CB wads and I've loaded over 10,000 with no issues whatsoever, even in the winter conditions of Pittsburgh, Pa.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.