ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buckshot uses???
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Curious here.

I've noticed many posts about loading buckshot. I'm curious about what games/sports/critters buckshot is being used for that would generate sufficient use to warrant reloading.

Post subject: Re: Buckshot uses???
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

Some people use it for deer.
Many use it for coyote

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:56 pm 
Field Grade

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
Curious here.

I've noticed many posts about loading buckshot. I'm curious about what games/sports/critters buckshot is being used for that would generate sufficient use to warrant reloading.

Well in my case the inability to find 20 Gauge Buckshot at a reasonable price.
Plus the Possibility that may not be able to find it at any price.

With ammo makers having over a year Backlog and The Biden administration wanting to confiscate and tax ammo and guns more heavily I think If I could find Components at a reasonable price ,I would like to have the ability to have ammo when I want it.

I also like the idea of being able to load it to what payload and velocity that I want .
Main reason for that is my Wife is about 85 pounds and I want as little recoil as as possible for her to shoot with her 20 Gauge.

As far as Buckshot and what it would be used for ?
Obviously for Deer Hunting ,Home defense and to Practice on an ongoing basis with the same ammo that will be kept in the gun.

If I could find 20 Gauge Buckshot at 1100 FPS with about 7/8 ounce or 1 ounce of buckshot and reasonable price and a constant supply I would not even consider reloading for it.

But I am really getting tired of checking online suppliers and seeing the "Out of stock"
Not available in store,Please enter your e-mail to be notified when back in stock or they want a $1.50-$2.00 per round plus shipping.

To

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:47 pm 
Crown Grade

many folks also load it for HD

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

I make my own, and I pretty much only use it to shoot holes in stuff down at the junk yard/pile
fridges, freezers, car doors.
but I do slip a couple in the pump gun when I grouse hunt up where the wolves like to hang out.
I see enough of their tracks on many of the trails I like to bird hunt on that it makes me nervous just being there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:59 am 
Field Grade

I've always wondered this too. I've never met anyone who actually uses it for deer. I think it's a lot of hoarders/home defense nuts who overbuy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:52 am 
Tournament Grade

I keep my 870 loaded with it for stuff that may go bump in the night. I also shoot it sometimes if for no other reason that to rotate my ammo supply of it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:10 am 
Crown Grade

I have often wondered that myself (buckshot uses). It's name refers to it's primary use. Obviously, it is not a very good skeet load. People often post inquiries on loading buckshot but they don't specify the use they intend. Without knowing the intended use, it is difficult to make recommendations. The practical uses as I understand them are, deer hunting & similar size game, varmint hunting, home defense, and law enforcement. The milk jug hunters also get a blast out of blowing up watermelons & water jugs & such. There is contently nothing wrong with having fun! Those uses call for very different loads. Kind of like comparing skeet loads with goose loads. Commercial buckshot has, in the recent past, been very good. I have killed a fair amount deer with buckshot. The main reason I have & do reload buckshot is to get better loads & due to the lack of availability of good commercial loads. It is getting difficult to find high quality buffered 10 ga. buckshot. I don't hunt deer much with buckshot these days but I keep some handy for home defense & occasionally for varmints. The loads I want are not always available commercially!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:06 pm 
Crown Grade

I never had much success loading buckshot for anything other than CLOSE home defense. At 25 yards - puffff. Probably because I used soft homemade lead 30 cal balls. I know the balls have to be the right size to be set in layers, and I used a filler to keep them in place, but still no luck. Some guys handload em, but they know more than me. They were claiming to kill coyotes out to 60+ yards.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quote:
Many use it for coyote
:shock:

I didn't think you could be missing enough deer and coyotes in a year to warrant reloading buckshot.

Quote:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Nor that anyone would be fighting off enough baddies in a year that you couldn't afford to buy factory loaded buckshot.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:18 pm 
Crown Grade

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
Quote:
Many use it for coyote

I didn't think you could be missing enough deer and coyotes in a year to warrant reloading buckshot.

Quote:

Nor that anyone would be fighting off enough baddies in a year that you couldn't afford to buy factory loaded buckshot.

But one DOES need to practice, and at $1+/shot, reloading for practice make sense. others also shoot various competition where buck and slug are required.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:24 pm 
Crown Grade

I shot a lot more buckshot loads developing & testing than I shot at game. I developed loads that would put 8 of 16 "OO" or "OOO" in a circle of about 7" at a measured 60 yds.. Then when I came back down to earth, some realities started to sink in. Such loads have little practical use. They would be great if all your shots were at 60 yards but most are at under 40 yds.. So that fantastic 60 yd. load has no pattern at 40 yds.. You are shooting a rifle at normal range for all practical purposes. The other thing is at 60 yds., buckshot's energy is getting marginal for deer size game. 50 yds. is a much more realistic maximum range & then only for the heaviest magnum tight patterning loads. Deer are thin skinned game but even at that, you are not shooting ducks & geese. It takes a lot of energy to cleanly kill a mature buck. Forget anything that has thick skin & an anatomy that is hard to penetrate. I have always considered buckshot inadequate for mature feral hogs. I can see no reason why coyotes can't be effectively taken at 60+ yards with tight patterning loads. 2+ ounces of # 4 buck is a lot of buckshot & of course #2's can produce even denser patterns. Coyote loads are not my forte so I can only speculate. Returning to the reason for reloading buckshot, many of the loads I want are not available commercially & I can load much better ammunition than I can buy. Not to mention my reloads are not subject to the whims of the market place. To conclude, if I expect 60 yd. shots at deer, I am thinking "RIFLE" or at least an accurate slug.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:41 am 
Utility Grade

4 buck, 10 ga 3 1/2”and 54 pellets for coyotes, a real sledge hammer

We were air gunning coyotes back when the last of the factory loads were drying up. I did not want to hand load shot gun but the lack of factory 10 ga forced me into it. Later, I was given some loaders in other gauges, I caught the bug, bought some other presses as well.

I actually own more shot shell presses than those for loading metallic ..... my passion is still with metallic however.

Three44s

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:04 pm 
Crown Grade

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
Curious here.

Because I can.

I already have hulls.
I already have sufficient and appropriate powders.
I already have primers.
I likely already have appropriate wads.
I already have buffer (from a buffered 1-5/8oz 2-3/4" "short magnum" 12-gauge load)
All I needed was buckshot.

Coyotes
Housebroom

I load every round I shoot other than .22 Rimfire, which means 5 handgun rounds, 4 rifle rounds, and 4 shotshell gauges, target, hunting, and "Serious Social Use" loads.
Any other uses I imagine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:32 pm 
Limited Edition

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
Quote:
Many use it for coyote

Quote:

So don't load it then. Some of us like to mess around with loads and trust our handloads more then factory rounds so we load all sorts of things.

If one has basic shotgun reloading stuff or metallic reloading gear it takes very little extra equipment to load slugs or buck shot. If you have a grain scale and a drill or drill press you can get set up with supplies and a roll crimp tool for under $150.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:03 pm 
Limited Edition

Life of Riley wrote:
I've always wondered this too. I've never met anyone who actually uses it for deer. I think it's a lot of hoarders/home defense nuts who overbuy.

EVERYBODY........Here in the south uses buckshot when running deer with hounds.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:34 am 
Diamond Grade

Number 4 buck is hard to beat for killing coyotes, at ranges out to 50 or so yards.