ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Message from Federal
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Ravenanme wrote:
, who support the industry

Let me take a WAG here, with 6 major shotgun bores, ( 10, 12, 16, 20, 28 and 410) and how many pistol/rifle bores? Who supports the industry.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:29 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

YevetS wrote:
Who supports the industry.

Steve

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Randy
Does the "others" section of the pie include shotgun, or is that just the rest of the rifle/pistol ammo?

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:42 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

YevetS wrote:
Randy
Does the "others" section of the pie include shotgun

Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Really I had no idea , just thought , what I buy and shoot was a major contribution !
Sure wish I had purchased more , just for the heck of it !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think that the 9mm share would a lot bigger now then in 2018

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:28 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

New handgun sales dwarfs all long gun sales combined, quite easily.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:36 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Ravenanme wrote:
Really I had no idea , just thought , what I buy and shoot was a major contribution !

I have no idea what you mean by that, for it is a contribution only to yourself. I suppose the guy that eats more than everyone else can say that he contributes more to the food industry than anyone else, but that is a really odd way to look at things. It is hardly a gift or a donation.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was able to buy the 35 Remington dies from Midway on sale for $33, and they also had the trim set for $6.

Now if I could only buy about 100 extra cases, I’d be all set.

But when I shoot up all those hard kicking Hornady rounds that will give me forty, plus the twenty I got with the rifle, so I’m not going to ever be caseless.

Multiply me by several million other bored gun owners sitting around trying to find calibers to reload for, and it causes a shortage of everything that has to do with something that goes bang.:)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:

New handgun sales dwarfs all long gun sales combined, quite easily.

I don't know if you or I are reading this chart correctly, but it looks to me like long gun sales are in front not hand gun sales.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:36 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
I just maintain a little over a years supply on hand. I can make it through the spikes and build back up after the shortages.

This is a common solution to the fact that manufacturers won't maintain inventory, so you do it yourself.

You should know how much it costs to maintain inventory. I haven't heard one person complain about how much it costs him to maintain his ammo inventory, which he wouldn't need to do if the ammo manufacturers simply maintained an inventory.

If you had confidence that your local dealer would have ammo on the shelves, how much inventory would you keep? Truthfully, the answer is probably none because you could go buy the amount of ammo you intended to use.

Everybody talks about how inventory will bankrupt every company that keeps an unspecified amount on hand for demand spikes. Everybody thinks storing ammo, without even knowing how much is to be stored, will bankrupt any company that does. Yet they buy ammo they don't need at the moment and store it in their basements. All because they can't trust the ammo companies to keep ammo on the shelves. How much does that lost trust cost them? More than storing an (unspecified) amount of ammo?

But by all means, keep on forcing a constant-demand, zero inventory business model on an industry that is obviously NOT constant demand. Keep trying until it works. Nobody minds empty shelves. That's just the way it HAS to be.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:13 am 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
don't know if you or I are reading this chart correctly, but it looks to me like long gun sales are in front

That chart is a "stacked-bar chart". The blue handgun bar has the black long gun bar stacked on it, and then the gray "other" bar on top of that.

For August 2020, you can read off that there were
* about 900,000 handguns sold (top of blue bar),

* about 750,000 long guns (rifle and shotgun) (you have to get this by subtracting the number at the top of the black bar from the bottom of the black bar, or 1,650,000-900,000)

* and about 130,000 (gray bar top - gray bar bottom, or 1,780,000 - 1,650,000) "other" firearms. (Are those air guns? Paintball guns?)

A stacked bar chart is more intended for a quick comparison than for giving you a way to see the accurate numbers. In this case, it's drawn to show month-to-month comparisons of total sales, with a less-easy-to-see trend for each of the gun types.

Now, my analysis of this chart:

We've all been told that about 7 million guns or so have been sold in 2020, and that is supposed to be the major explanation for ammo shortages. As you can see from looking at the highest monthly sales in Mar 20 and June 20, those sales are about double the monthly sales from 2019 (before shortages). I'm sure the extra gun sales have been impactful, but it's not the complete reason there's no ammo on retailer shelves right now. There's a ton of "individual stockpiling" and "out-of-channel high-markup resale" going on, too.

Remember the .22 rimfire shortage? There was NO big run on new .22 firearm sales at that point. It's just that "ammo day traders" decided that if they could corner most of the retail ammo supply they could "resell out of channel" and make tons of money real quick.

good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:35 am 
Crown Grade

Hornady gets it. Here’s a CEO that thanks the customer, has increased production capacity, and hits it out of the park for customer relations unlike the CEO at Federal that needs a course in crisis management and customer relations. I’ll be swinging more business to a hornady when I can.

https://youtu.be/cCgQ2DV0n6Q

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Patently Obvious wrote:
Hornady gets it. Here’s a CEO that thanks the customer, has increased production capacity, and hits it out of the park for customer relations unlike the CEO at Federal that needs a course in crisis management and customer relations. I’ll be swinging more business to a hornady when I can.

https://youtu.be/cCgQ2DV0n6Q

His comments were nearly identical to that of the Federal CEO. Neither of them are going out and buying new manufacturing facilities and hiring more employees. Both are producing all they can within the scope of current resources and that is exactly what both said.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Ravenanme wrote:

I have no idea what you mean by that, for it is a contribution only to yourself. I suppose the guy that eats more than everyone else can say that he contributes more to the food industry than anyone else, but that is a really odd way to look at things. It is hardly a gift or a donation.

You're right Randy it's hardly a contribution to the factory loads I like shooting but
it does add to their bottom line . I just wish the supply train was a little more efficient
at delivering to my door , these days ! There seems to be more people/businesses with
their fingers in the pie , without Mart-stores having their shelves full ? Apparently this
is one way to change the price of ammo ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:49 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

DEG wrote:
His comments were nearly identical to that of the Federal CEO. Neither of them are going out and buying new manufacturing facilities and hiring more employees.

Vista did!
https://lmtribune.com/business/vista-ou ... ec4ee.html

$81 million+ is a substantial investment and they have been hiring.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

You'd think with hiring 400 more employees the shotshell shelves would be full in no time ?
There's got to be more to this shortage than what's being reported ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:02 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Ravenanme wrote:
You'd think with hiring 400 more employees the shotshell shelves would be full in no time ?

Other than the very small matter of people dying and states enacting lockdown measures? https://www.usatoday.com/storytelling/c ... erica-map/ .

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/202 ... to-return/

Quote:
During a recent interview held via Webex, Chris Metz, Vista Outdoor chief executive officer, said the company is focused on bringing the Lonoke operation back to its full potential, including linking the facility in with the Vista Outdoor's logistics and implementing its covid-19 safety protocols for the company's workers.

Currently the company employs more than 400 at the Remington plant in Lonoke, with plans to bring back 300 furloughed workers as soon as possible. Metz declined to say what the average pay was at the plant citing competitive concerns but said the jobs paid well and that Vista Outdoor offered a competitive benefits package. He said during the bankruptcy the plant was functioning at about 10% capacity before Vista Outdoor took over.

"In a lot of ways, its like a cold start," Metz said.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

we got no lockdowns,,, so where's my stuff?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for sharing those updates with us Randy !

Hope your holidays are as Jolly as can be expected , Merry Christmas !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next