ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: "Why" are you a re-loader?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just loaded 2 flats... That is 2 flats more than is available in local area....... Freight free ordering now has the less expensive at $6+ and $8+ for premium.. Better pricing available from other sources but by the time I pay freight it gets a bit spendy... The price I pay for living in the "boonies". Primers are soon to be my issue... 2 flats and 1/2 a brick has gone in the hulls..... once I thought I had a big reserve... now not so much...... Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:03 pm 
Utility Grade

I guess my answer is "all of the above". Everything that everyone has already said.

Last time I was into shooting in a serious way was in between high school and college/university. That was in the mid-1980's. It was nothing to go out with my buddies and pound a few hundred rounds of clays. We reloaded because we were poor students, and it really did save us a few dollars.

Today I have a 10-gauge. I live in goose and turkey hunting country. Also long-range ducks and the occasional pheasant. White tailed deer are everywhere. I've never hunted very much, but it is nice to have the ability if needed.

There never has been much of a selection of ammo for the 10-gauge. I have decided that it would be good to have a clays load for practice, which is the vast majority of my shooting. And then two different hunting loads: one load for birds, the other load for "things with fur". Both hunting loads to be (probably) 1-5/8 oz. The only difference would be the shot size. The clays practice load would be a regular 1-oz with red dot.

Pretty sure nobody makes that for the 10-gauge, and there is a shortage at the moment -- so, gonna have to roll my own. And when the shortage is over, restock like crazy so I'll be better prepared next time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:04 pm 
Field Grade

I reload because I want to have access to ammunition when you cannot find it and the prices are to high like it is right now. Knowing how is a big part of it also. Could come in handy down the road. :|R

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It is interesting... all the folks that have been telling me that saving a dollar or two a box just is not worth it are now asking "Where's the ammo?". Seems questions and answers change over time. I sincerely hope that soon they will be telling me the reloading is just not worth it.... Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:10 pm 
Limited Edition

I can buy ammo.

I can't buy primers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Been doing it for 50 years. Why stop now?

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Waste Not, Want Not.
Because it would be a travesty to allow a once fired hull to go unwanted.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:08 am 
Presentation Grade

brm wrote:
Waste Not, Want Not.
Because it would be a travesty to allow a once fired hull to go unwanted.

Hallelujah! {hs#

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:28 am 
Tournament Grade

I enjoy the heck out of reloading my shells. Particularly since I got the Dillon. It's fun to fiddle with and I like shooting 3/4 oz loads for skeet. I can't find any on the shelves. I was running low on ammo a few weeks ago, and so I started reloading on my lunches. Now I'm sitting on 3k+ loaded rounds. I reloaded almost every hull I had sitting in totes. I'm very happy right now that I was able to buy some components before the poo hit the fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One 4 pack AA downtown. $39.... 6 boxes Estates $6.55 a box...... 5 boxes Top Gun. $6.84 a box.
Bought primers at the club.... $27 per 1000.
The situations change with location and with the individuals ability to shop and purchase.
Couple places way East of here had decent primer prices..... 1000 limit and no shipping... Things will change though, we all know that..... just wonder what the change will be.... Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:34 pm 
Field Grade

I reload 28ga and 410 bore to save a little $$
I reload 12 ga and 20 ga to produce a shell that you cannot buy retail. (specialty loads)
It can be cathartic at times

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

DuckPerry wrote:
I reload 28ga and 410 bore to save a little $$
I reload 12 ga and 20 ga to produce a shell that you cannot buy retail. (specialty loads)
It can be cathartic at times

In the process of developing a bismuth hunting round for 2 3/4" Remmy hulls, HS6 and 1 1/4 ounces of #6 bismuth at ~1150fps. Good luck finding that at the store.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)