ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Why" are you a re-loader?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:23 am 
Tournament Grade

Been a bullet caster for over 30 years; next up shot marker. I gave up trying to save money years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:00 am 
Presentation Grade

I rotate through a set of light bird guns at clays and I can load the same hard shot, same wad, same hull, and I suspect the same powder as RST brand loads for approximately 1/3 of the cost.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:44 am 
Limited Edition

DE wrote:
RST brand loads

What is a RST brand load?

Last edited by J.Fred_Muggs on Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:52 am 
Crown Grade

http://www.rstshells.com/

They make all sorts of low pressure loads for older guns.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:31 am 
Field Grade

I got started because my wife bought the daughter a “new” gun with sub gauge tubes! And along with that, the guy selling the gun also sold us his 28 gauge and 410 Mec Jrs and some powder and some primers. The first time I went to pick up some 28 and 410 shells, I was shocked. So I started to read, watch videos and bought Lyman #5. A few disaster shells and than some beautiful ones! Soon found a 12 and 20 Jr. Shortly after that, was gifted a grabber. Needed a few parts and found the local supplier that also repaired it. And he carried reloading supplies. It is an addiction and a great time. And when she started shooting bunker trap and I realized that the “standard” bunker load was just under 7/8 ounce, we started making all her 12 gauge ammo standard 7/8! Now the 3/4 ounce 12 gauge experience starts! Hopefully they work in 30 degree weather.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:19 pm 
Utility Grade

I grew up hanging around my grandfather's gun shop in the 1970's and he reloaded shotshells and rifle/pistol rounds. Once I started shooting trap with him I too started reloading and received a Pacific DL155 reloader for my 12th birthday. I loaded 1000's of shells on that loader. Fast forward to 2013 as I got ready to retire in 2016 i started purchasing reloading equipment, both shotshell and metallic, and components. I reload for the enjoyment more than to save money. It is very satisfying shooting ammunition I created.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm a reloader because I can't buy what I want. I can also reload a premium shell cheaper than I can buy them. I definitely can reload metallic cheaper and better.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Back in the early 70's my dad gifted me a Mec 650 for Xmas since I did alot of upland hunting in my youth. Back then, a box of shotgun shells were less than $2 @ "Grants for Guns" in Costa Mesa, so that 650 just ended up in my closet for decades & followed me when I relocated over the years.

Fast fwd to 2013, I retired & along with fishing, I dug out the 650. Read alot about reloading for 3" 410, (on a mec 600) & 12g on that like new 43 yr old 650 in 12g.

SGW is a great resource to learn the do's & don'ts. Been very helpful as well.

That's my story & I'm sticking with it.

..pete

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

Went over 10,000 shotgun shells today, Getting good use of my 650 :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:51 am 
Tournament Grade

I used to reload when it was possible to save money. The days of $5 per bag shot are over though. Today, you're lucky to be able to load at roughly the same price of store shells or just slightly lower. So why do I continue to reload?

1. I can perhaps convince myself that my loads are somehow "better" than store bought

2. It gets me out of the house and into my shop without having to explain what I'm doing. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I suspect there are as many reasons as there are re-loaders. Just ran MY cost for 12ga 1 1/8 loads and came out at $4.10... Least expensive here (when on sale) is $5.50.... I do not buy those but when I buy I buy premium at $7.87.... any way you choose to take these numbers (or compare to yours) I same money... right now locally, no sales, no 1 1/8oz, no target, NO NUTHIN.
Too often over the years this has happened... way too often.
It basically boils down to controlling my own supply or doing without... Cost??? I guess one can save a lot by not having anything to shoot... Larry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:17 pm 
Limited Edition

llc wrote:
Just ran MY cost for 12ga 1 1/8 loads and came out at $4.10.

That's good. What are you paying for shot?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Average cost on my new shot is $31...... much is from purchases I have made over past years. I also have many bags in inventory of redropped that cost $30.. At this time I have about a 2 year supply of "stuff" that I have bought as it pops up..... I buy reclaimed from time to time from my club and it runs $28 a bag.. Club buys it out of Montana and it is very good quality..... Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:39 pm 
Limited Edition

Loading with left-overs. Always big savings there. I'll use my left-overs for for 28 and 410 shells when/if I get an opportunity to play skeet again. Since my left-overs include 2k WW-209s, I might do better just peddling them off.

I checked my records. In 2017 my 1 1/8 oz loads were $4.51/box including tax. I was buying Estates/Top Gun ammo then for $4.85/box.

Curiosity and Covid induced boredom induced me to recalculate based on today's prices. These were prices for components actually available (tho limited) except for primers which don't seem available. One big internet dealer had WW-209s listed at $200/5k, so I used that price.

The price came out to $5.43/box with the required sales tax in that state.

That dealer had Estate ammo for $60.76/flat including tax (one flat limit).

llc wrote:
Average cost on my new shot is $31...... much is from purchases I have made over past years. I also have many bags in inventory of redropped that cost $30.. At this time I have about a 2 year supply of "stuff" that I have bought as it pops up..... I buy reclaimed from time to time from my club and it runs $28 a bag.. Club buys it out of Montana and it is very good quality..... Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Opportunity to hang out with the cool guys at the club.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:02 pm 
Field Grade

"Because it fun". I started 40 years ago. I started with Metallic cartages, I have loaded, black powder rifle and pistols rounds, Smokeless powder rounds rifle and pistol. And now I just took on reloading shotgun shells. Some Center fire rounds are just to expensive to purchase like my 257, and 300 Weatherby, by reloading you save money and shoot more often. Just like the shotgun reloading. I took up sporting clay so to get better you need to shoot more often. I cast a lot of lead bullets, 45 APC, Colt 45, 9mm, 50/90 sharps, Springfield trapdoor. 45/70. Casting just adds more fun to the reloading process.

And now with this ammo shortage, I am glad that I reload. Now my only worry is components. I am pretty much set up for a long time. But I am running low on small pistol primers. Any way reloading is fun and gives me a little time to myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I suppose the term "left overs" fits my inventory but not sure it accurately describes a long term activity of "being prepared". Always on the lookout for someone's surplus or "left overs" to keep myself and several around me supplied with stuff. The mind set of "preparation" hold true for organizations and clubs also. A good example of that is the difference between two clubs I shoot regularly.. one alway out of ??? Searching for ??? No money set aside for ??? The other is the opposite. Both clubs have good officers, good members, great facilities but the difference becomes obvious at times.... The difference is in the mindset of preparedness by planning.
A long time ago I was told to make sure my "people" had 5 magazines, 100 rounds..... I took them to places where resupply was not possible... a rather bummer to hump but 200 was my minimum. No way to know the future but preparedness paid off... same today... Larry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:18 am 
Limited Edition

One can "be prepared", and maintain an adequate inventory, and keep an emergency supply of new ammo as easily, or even easier, with new ammo as with reloading supplies.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:52 am 
Crown Grade

Actually, I never thought much about why, I've just always done it since I got a Lee Loader for my 20 ga. LC Smith back in the early 1960's. I get a sense of satisfaction from hunting with shells I produce. There are other advantages. I can produce what I want when I want it & I can tailor loads for specific guns & applications. I don't have to worry about the whims of the market & public demand or drive all over town looking for a specific load that may have been discontinued. I never did it to save money but I do save a lot on non-toxics by reloading. I am always looking for deals on non -toxic shot & have found some really good ones! My two center fire rifles have never fired a factory round since I bought them nor has my .44 cal. revolver. Now that I think about it, some of my shotguns have never fired a factory shell. The guns I bought used are assumed to have been fired with factory ammo. but I rarely shoot anything but my reloads in anything!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
One can "be prepared", and maintain an adequate inventory, and keep an emergency supply of new ammo as easily, or even easier, with new ammo as with reloading supplies.

That’s true.

I think with reloading, there is much greater flexibility in what you can do. I decided this year to work on reloads at or below 1,200 fps. If I had stocked up on factory, I’d be stuck with the 1,250 fps loads I had concentrated on in prior years. Also, I just decided to reload 410. I can use my primers for that load. I’ll need powder but all else is easy to make happen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next