ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ready Made Lead Slugs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:46 am 
Field Grade

Anyone no of a seller who makes ready made Foster/rifled slugs? Casting my own is out of the question. Slugsrus has them but they are sabot slugs and I have a smooth bore barrel. Ballistic Products lists them but I have never found them in stock. I picked up some of their Thug Slugs but I would like to find just the lead slug if possible.

Post subject: Re: Ready Made Lead Slugs
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:10 am 
Tournament Grade

About the best deal going is the Lyman diabolo-style slug sold by Gardner's Cache (http://gardnerscache.com/12_525_lfp_pc.html) in either plain lead or powder coated. I especially like the coated slugs, and for 30 cents apiece, you can't beat the price. He casts them a little harder, and I've found them to be very accurate out of a smooth or rifled bore. I just got some a little while ago, but I see on his web site that he is now all backed up and not taking new orders. Things have just gotten crazy all around, so unless you want to pay rip-off prices on an auction site or at a gun show, you may need to wait just a little while. I've also gotten standard Foster-style slugs from several pull-down sites, including American Reloading; they were very cheap a few months ago, but they're all gone now.
If you must have slugs now, I'd suggest finding a friend who does cast and buying a few from them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:35 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the info FullTang. Do you shoot the Lyman diabolo-style slug through a rifled barrel or a smooth bore?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Time Bandit, I think you are working from a couple of misconceptions here.

The "Forster" type, "rifled" slug, that "rifling" doesn't "do" anything to make the slug fly straight, AT MOST, it gives a bit of "crush room" to the ribs if it hits a tight choke at a muzzle.

That slug flies straight, nose fwd, because the nose is heavy, it "shuttlecocks", the same way a shuttlecock does, because the nose is heavy, the back is light and has high drag.

Those Lyman slugs fly "nose-first" the exact same way/reason, because the solid nose is heavy and the hollow skirt is light.

The same thing happens with Brennekes because of the light wad attached to the base of the solid metal slug (BPI's AQ slugs, same way)

Yes, those Lyman's can be fired just fine from a smoothbore, every bit of data I have of them puts them inside a shotcup, because they are that size, not to get the shotcup to spin them in a rifled barrel.

Contrast this with actual SABOTED slugs, which are most often hollow-nosed handgun bullets, which MUST BE gyrostabilized (spin stabilized) in order to remain nose-fwd, or else, very shortly, in flight, the heavy tail WILL PASS the light nose and the heavy base will fly first. It will shuttlecock, if fired from a smoothbore, and that is NOT desired, in this instance.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:24 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you kindly for the clarification Crown Grade. I will be the first to admit I have a lot to learn but I am learning. Your post as well as FullTang's helped thanks to both of you. To bad that Gardner's Cache is not taking orders. I have 25 1oz. Thug slugs on hand. I am just working on getting the added shotshell equipment and components organized in my load room before I start loading. It is full of handgun loading stuff. It needed a good cleaning and organizing anyway. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Time Bandit wrote:
Thanks for the info FullTang. Do you shoot the Lyman diabolo-style slug through a rifled barrel or a smooth bore?

I've shot them through 3 different smooth bores (1 cylinder bore and 2 with chokes) and 2 rifled barrels (2 different H&Rs). They do pretty well in all of them, but there's not that much improvement from spinning them. They are accurate enough in my tactical shotgun (Benelli Nova) with no choke and a somewhat over-bored 18" barrel to hit a 12 X 18 gong at 100 meters reliably, which is pretty good as these things go.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:42 pm 
Crown Grade

That IS really pretty decent there, particularly from a "loose" barrel FullTang