ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEC 9000
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

Have a friend who bought a new 9000 and is having a bad time getting it setup.
Is there a tutorial or link you can direct me to that might be useful to set up a brand new 9000?

Post subject: Re: MEC 9000
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:51 pm 
Field Grade

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=me ... &FORM=VIRE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:04 am 
Crown Grade

First, read the owners manual. The number of people that ask a question here that is directly addressed in the manual is amazing.
Next, check and search YouTube, don't pass up videos about the Grabber, it is the same machine minus the auto advance.
Ask here or send me a PM, I am always glad to help.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In the header for "Reloading" you will find Tips and tricks for all reloaders. Curly N has many many useful posts for operation and adjustment of the MEC 9000...... Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:49 pm 
Crown Grade

YevetS wrote:
First, read the owners manual. The number of people that ask a question here that is directly addressed in the manual is amazing.
Next, check and search YouTube, don't pass up videos about the Grabber, it is the same machine minus the auto advance.

Steve

I used to find it amazing. :roll:

After about 15 years of it, It's just Par on this particular Course anymore. :(

Nobody reads anything, they just Ask The Internet.

You know what's funny about that though.... they have to READ THE ANSWERS :mrgreen: (unless of course they have a program read them, to them, for them). :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:15 pm 
Crown Grade

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
YevetS wrote:

Steve

You know what's funny about that though.... they have to READ THE ANSWERS :mrgreen: (unless of course they have a program read them, to them, for them). :roll:

The manager for the maintenance department of the last job I had before retirement made everyone in the department read the entire manual for all equipment brought into the plant BEFORE you ever worked on it.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

For clarification, my buddy has read the manual. He is far from lazy. He has called MEC. He is still having issues. All I ask is for helpful advice to guide him. I'm under quarantine at present and am of little help to him.
Please avoid the negative comments. If you have something to offer, as has YevetS , it is appreciated.
Thanks and God Bless.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:46 pm 

Not being picky, but most of the time people here respond very well to questions that actually describe a particular problem.
What does : having trouble getting it set up" really mean. Can he not drill holes in a surface to bolt it down? I suspect the problem may be further along than that, but who knows?
State some specifics and I bet you will get some specific answers.
Nobody wants to spend hours guessing at problems and writing answers that do not address the actual problem at hand.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:05 pm 
Crown Grade

browning66

Please get your buddy to sign up for a SGW account so we can talk directly with him. There is nothing harder then trying to fix something over the phone/ chat situation like this except trying to do it through a 3rd party. No offence. I speak from experience, I worked in maintenance departments where we shared 24/7 on call duties when we were not in the plant. I refused to talk to anyone other then the person working on the issue.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks all- will do.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I and others on this site really do not mind the questions... much better to ask than to blunder ahead and ruin something. Granted asking through a second party might be a bit cumbersome but still better than just floundering around... often answers from Curly, Dogcatcher and Yevets are easier to understand than printed instructions or u-tube.. Dogcatcher (Mark) posted a bit about using a #2 phillips screwdriver a short while ago........ bet you cannot find that little bit of information anywhere in print..... Ask away friends, that is what this site is for....... information and questions..... and available resources..... Larry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hey thanks all; after considerable work, viewing youtube videos and talks with MEC reps they have agreed to him returning the loader; they will resolve issues and set it up for the load he intends to use.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:45 pm 

browning66 wrote:
Hey thanks all; after considerable work, viewing youtube videos and talks with MEC reps they have agreed to him returning the loader; they will resolve issues and set it up for the load he intends to use.

Well he won't learn anything that way! It's his money to waste as he wishes!

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:00 pm 
Crown Grade

browning66 wrote:
they have agreed to him returning the loader; they will resolve issues and set it up for the load he intends to use.

WOW, $100.00 shipping round trip and $65.00/hour labor at MEC. Unless this is a NC.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:56 pm 
Crown Grade

YevetS wrote:
OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
YevetS wrote:

Steve

The manager for the maintenance department of the last job I had before retirement made everyone in the department read the entire manual for all equipment brought into the plant BEFORE you ever worked on it.

Steve

I would probably do the same thing. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I live out of manuals at work, aircraft manuals and component manuals, I don't do very much without one AT LEAST within reach for when I need to see a specification for SOMETHING, some measurement, some function test procedure, some troubleshooting, Part Number, something.

The people I train, I teach them what I do, and why, and how, AND "here it is in the manual".

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:24 am 
Field Grade

I believe patience is key to running the autos and expecting screwups adds a little humor.
In today's world where frustration is easily elevated, it does no good dragging it into reloading world. You have to want it ... for it to work. Sending the unit back will only delay the inevitable.
H

Last edited by HenryPeter on Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

If I bought a new truck or car and it did not perform as expected I'd certainly exercise my warranty rights. I'd want to go from place A to place B in the vehicle and wouldn't expect to have to be an expert mechanic at that stage of the purchase.

Some people love to shoot. They get into reloading as a new hobby, to save money, to have a supply of ammo or to be able to customize their reloads. They didn't take on reloading to be an expert on their machine. They will learn as they progress along the journey.

I've appreciated the help, support I've received on this web page over many years. Yes, I've made dumb mistakes and asked boneheaded questions. Thanks to all but remember.... not everyone is as far along the path to excellent reloading knowledge. When new people ask questions please be tolerant and welcoming.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Great responses all around. I'll add that a necessary ingredient is a LOT of patience, particularly if your buddy is new to reloading. The 9000 is an auto-indexing machine (the shell carrier rotates automatically), as far as I know. Before attempting to load any shells I'd recommend disabling the auto-index function and rotate the shell carrier manually. Also, start off loading 1 shell at a time, don't put a shell in each stage, until he becomes familiar with the sequence of events. Don't let the tail wag the dog. Be knowledgeable regarding what to expect on the next pull of the handle as this will help reduce the learning curve dramatically, IMHO. Good luck. These are great machines once they are dialed in properly. I own a few of them in all four gauges.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:00 am 
Field Grade

With respect to your friend I bought three brand new MEC 9000s and one with an Automate within the last three years. Exactly none of them worked correctly out of the box. Each of them also suffered component failures that can only be described as premature.

Before purchasing the MEC I did a lot of research. That began in earnest about six months before eventually deciding upon the 9000. Despite my out-of-the-box difficulties with them I have no regrets about that decision. Tens of thousands of reloaded shells later they all function completely flawlessly.

Given my experience expecting flawless operation from a brand new MEC is probably unrealistic. Call it lack of quality control, apathy, poor quality fasteners or whatever but they all needed attention they should not have needed. I suspect MEC either couldn't find quality materials or hardware, or was too cheap to spend a few more nickels on various fasteners, or had to settle for crappy imported parts. Fixing those problems was easy enough but MEC can and should do better. Maybe they did better years or decades ago, but I wouldn't know.

On the subject of reloading in general: at first I thought reloading was way too complicated for me to attempt. The subject intimidated me, but after reading through nearly every post I could find on the subject Curly N and Steve and a few others here answered all the questions I had before I had to ask a single one. They literally taught me everything I know about reloading. The one and only phone call I ever placed to MEC was to confirm what I already knew. Their technical support is phenomenal by the way.

I also learned what NOT to do from another website that should not be mentioned (for a lot of reasons). I am thinking of one thread in particular illustrating utter mind-boggling incompetence with the MEC over a number of months, from people allegedly familiar with it. It was like watching a months-long train wreck. Or 2020 all over again. Disturbing. Don't go there, unless you want to learn what NOT to do. Or for a laugh.

Anyway... impugning your friend for not knowing what he's doing may be unjustified. I'm sure whatever is wrong with is is fixable, given some patience and understanding how it's supposed to work vs. whatever it's doing. A well-worn MEC might have been less of a hassle than breaking in a brand new one. There's a reason they hold their value.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:48 am 
Crown Grade

For the life of me I do not understand why anyone would expect a machine they buy at a LGS or the like, to come set-up exactly for their load. There are just too many variables in the equation for that to be even remotely possible.
Now, call MEC and pay their price and then pay them to set it up to your load specs is another story.

Steve