ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester AA 20 gauge Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:48 am 
Utility Grade

I hope you guys can clear up a couple of questions for me. I have used the old AA 20 gauge hulls for many years with W571 powder and the WW20f1 wad. Those hulls are used up and now I find that the hulls are different and that W571 powder is no more and neither are the F1 wads. So my question is what load data do I use for the current AA hulls. I was told by a guy at a gunshot to just use the old AA data, but that won't work without the old wads. It also looks like the current wads are for 7/8 ounce loads and not 1 ounce.

I am trying to load shells for rabbit and squirrel hunting. The 7/8 ounce loads will be fine with magnum shot, but I am totally lost on what hull to choose for the load data. My current powders are Blue Dot, Longshot and Universal. I have some Remington SP wads, but have more WW20 wads

Thanks in advance
Leon

Post subject: Re: Winchester AA 20 gauge Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Leon. I have thousands of once fired Winchester/Western old style compression formed hulls for sale if you wish to continue using them.
[email protected]

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:03 am 
Crown Grade

Otherwise, Universal is a good powder for 20 gauge. I use Remington hulls (mostly Gun Clubs)

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:03 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

It has been stated by Winchester that the same loads are used in the older CF hull and the newer HS hull for 12 ga and 20 ga. That is mostly true except many find the newer HS hull to have slightly less capacity and wad and powder selection needs to be considered. If you are looking for a one oz load, use the Remington SP20 wad. If you are looking for a 7/8 oz load I would suggest the Claybuster 1078-20. If you want to save shot and load just 3/4 oz, use the Claybuster 1075-20 wad. For recipes, go to the powder manufacturer's websites:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... ndex.aspx&
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NSSA Referee
NSSA Level I Instructor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:27 am 
Presentation Grade

I used to reload my hunting loads, but dont hunt so much anymore so I just figure when I run out of 1 oz 20 ga, I will just buy off the shelf. But in todays environment with ammo so hard to find, I guess reloading is an option.
One Alliant powder for 1oz 20ga might be Blue dot. I went to Hogdon's website and they have several powders for 1 oz. More than I want to type.
If you use the AA HS hull, be aware that stack height MAY be a concern. Using a single stage press, you can more easily fine tune the amount of pressure to compress the wad. OR find some federal hulls, they are very roomy and more friendly to higher pressure loads.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Casonet, I have a large supply of modern AA hulls and am looking for data to put them to use. Thanks for the offer though. I am a Hunter Ed instructor and I keep all the empty hulls.

Bob K, thanks for that info. I was wanting to know which data to use. I don't shoot over a couple of boxes of field loads per year and would be as well off buying factory loads, but nothing is on the shelf anywhere here in East Tennessee, so I am dusting off the MEC 600 Jr. I have plenty of #5 shot and plenty of hulls to load and have a few Rem SP20 wads and almost a full bag of Win AA20 and Fed 20S3 wads. I just didn't know what data to use. I should be good to go now.

Thanks to everyone.
Leon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Leon, I load a lot of one ounce 20ga. It’s my go to squirrel and dove load. I use Longshot powder in either a federal or Winchester AA Hull. In the Federal hull I use the Federal 20s1 was in the Winchester the expensive Remington SP20 wad. Both load perfect, and according to The longshot info, velocity runs @ 1220fps

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:37 pm 
Utility Grade

Turkinator, I have loaded a bunch of the Remington hulls with the Remington wads and they worked great, but currently all I have are the AA hulls. For the last several years TWRA has furnished Winchester AA loads for Hunter Ed, so that is all I have in enough quantity to load. Not sure if I could get Remington SP wads anyhow at this time.

Post subject: Winchester AA 20 gauge Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:58 pm 
Crown Grade

You’re correct, they would be very hard to get and very expensive. I’m probably in the minority, but I love 1oz 20ga loads for hunting

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:07 pm 
Utility Grade

All I used to load were 1 ounce loads in the old AA hulls with the AA20F1 wad, but the hull and the wad are history. The 7/8 ounce loads will work fine with #5 magnum shot.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:25 am 
Field Grade

WOW ! who needs 1 oz #5 for squirrel hunting !!!! :shock: squirrel are monsters in your area ! :)
in my opinion 3/4 oz will be nice, soft to shoot and environment friendly ! #7.5 for both rabbit and squirrel. and you save on lead (the most expensive component) and on powder (the second most expensive component)
Foulcan.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:57 am 
Crown Grade

foulcan wrote:
WOW ! who needs 1 oz #5 for squirrel hunting !!!! :shock: squirrel are monsters in your area ! :)
in my opinion 3/4 oz will be nice, soft to shoot and environment friendly ! #7.5 for both rabbit and squirrel. and you save on lead (the most expensive component) and on powder (the second most expensive component)
Foulcan.
I want not need a 1oz load. I want not need 1.625 oz tss 20ga turkey loads. But shoot whatever works for you!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

For AA20HS hulls I have settled on 20/28 with AA20/CB2078 wads for 7/8 ounce loads. For 1 ounce its SP20 with Blue Dot.