ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rio hulls and primers most recent
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The 'old' CCI209M is basically the same as the 'new' CCI209M, without the step in the OD, paper covering the flash hole, and they no longer have a larger OD than most 209 primers as they used to have.

The CCI209M has always been more stout than any primer except the Federal 209A.

You folks consistently compare primers using relatively fast burning powders, which is incorrect.

If you want to compare primers and how 'hot' they are, you need to compare primers when lighting off large amounts of powders such as HS-7/571, Herco, Blue Dot and Steel. Then you will see the difference. Trying to compare primers using Clays, Red Dot, American Select, 700-X etc, is at best misleading.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Jta5er wrote:
Anybody sure about the rio209 vs rio g1000 ?

Yes, they are all the same/identical primer, - just different marketing name. rio 209=Rio G-600=G-1000.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:43 pm 
Crown Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
If you want to compare primers and how 'hot' they are, you need to compare primers when lighting off large amounts of powders such as HS-7/571, Herco, Blue Dot and Steel. Then you will see the difference.

Trying to compare primers using Clays, Red Dot, American Select, 700-X etc, is at best misleading.

I disagree, - I think that you need to test the primers with the propellants for which it will be used with, not some propellant that you don't even have, use, or one that happens to shows the biggest difference.

We're not testing "primers" here (as in a "component"), we're testing a load as a "system" ('subsystem' to be more accurate) which has as one of its components: 'a primer'.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have some 223 cases that are designed to shoot a .22 pellet powered by a 209 primer.
At one point I thought about chronographing the different primers... But it wouldn't mean anything of any relevance to anyone. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

Tenguage wrote:
Quote:
. they say magnum, but the data says otherwise.
that makes me believe they didn't burn hotter but a little bit longer to help insure powder got ignited when it was cold.

You may have the older CCI209M primers before Federal started manufacturing them.
I still have some older CCI 209 magnum primers.

if they were from the 90's they'd be from the newer batch I have, so yeah I'm basing it on those.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:18 pm 
Field Grade

I recently scored some CCI 209 in a trade for some powder. The carton looks relatively new but I can't say for sure. The lot number is AJ346 if that means anything.

I normally load 20 ga, 3/4 oz lead, claybuster wad, 12.2 grains of International and a Win 209.

Can I sub the CCI 209 for the Win 209 ?