ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need advice on shotshell loading
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:12 pm 
Utility Grade

I was given a Mec jr and would like to load skeet and trap loads along with some loads for dove hunting. I have a ton of reloaded Win AA shells my buddies grandfather loaded but I dont trust them. Maybe I can take them apart and use components and toss the powder? #8 shot is all I can find now so I guess I will have to use that. I checked Hodgdons site and they show several different loads depending on primers, wad and powder. Where would be a good place to start? I am loading for a gas autoloader if that matters.

Post subject: Re: Need advice on shotshell loading
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 pm 
Limited Edition

Depends on what components you can find. Primers, powder are tight right now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:12 pm 
Field Grade

You are wise to be cautious. If I were in your place, I'd open the crimp on one shell and dump the shot into a container to keep and re-use. I'd pull the wad with a pair of needle nose pliers and depending on condition (from the pliers) possibly re-use that too. Dump the powder in a shallow container and see if it has any identifying "dots", for example red dots, green dots, etc. If so, I would proceed to collect it for re-use. That's just me, I'm not suggesting that you do it. The hull and primer, depending on the method you use to open can also be re-used. In these times of scarce components, I'd try to avoid throwing anything except perhaps the hull away. -Ed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:49 pm 
Crown Grade

I would take one shell apart and weigh the shot charge, try and ID the powder and weigh that, IF it is a listed load I would not hesitate to shoot them. If I could not ID the powder but its weight was not out of the "norm" for the shot charge I would still consider shooting them.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:37 pm 
Utility Grade

YevetS wrote:
I would take one shell apart and weigh the shot charge, try and ID the powder and weigh that, IF it is a listed load I would not hesitate to shoot them. If I could not ID the powder but its weight was not out of the "norm" for the shot charge I would still consider shooting them.

Steve

So his grandfather passed away 2yrs ago and quit loading about 20yrs ago. When we cleaned out his shop we found several presses and a ton of components but his uncle took them to sell and I got the loaded ammo. My concern is how old they are.

How would I go about knowing what powder it is? Just weigh a few and reference a manual and see if the charges match?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:07 pm 
Crown Grade

axis ii wrote:
How would I go about knowing what powder it is?

Some powders have identifying "markers" in it. For example, RedDot has some red flakes in it, GreenDot, green flakes, other powders are different. Open a shell and post a good picture of the powder and maybe someone can help you.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:15 pm 
Field Grade

axis ii wrote:
YevetS wrote:

Steve

So his grandfather passed away 2yrs ago and quit loading about 20yrs ago. When we cleaned out his shop we found several presses and a ton of components but his uncle took them to sell and I got the loaded ammo. My concern is how old they are.

How would I go about knowing what powder it is? Just weigh a few and reference a manual and see if the charges match?

Ask the Uncle to take and send you some pics of the shotshell components. Might be able to narrow the 'unknowns' down. Sounds like the gentleman was an avid reloader and if the components was stored in 'good' place, might be worth making an offer. Right now reloading stuff is hard to get.

Last thought. I'll bet that there are some reloading manuals with the deceased gentleman. His favorite loads may be marked along with some notes.

As others have said, one can not trust assumptions, but a little detective work could get some answers quicker. Good luck.

Fred

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you have a ton of loaded shells, look up pressure testing at Precision Reloading. Send off six shells and they will provide pressure and velocity data. Better than spending a lot of time and energy tearing up what might be perfectly acceptable shells.

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, then his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

axis ii wrote:
I was given a Mec jr and would like to load skeet and trap loads along with some loads for dove hunting. I have a ton of reloaded Win AA shells my buddies grandfather loaded but I dont trust them. Maybe I can take them apart and use components and toss the powder? #8 shot is all I can find now so I guess I will have to use that. I checked Hodgdons site and they show several different loads depending on primers, wad and powder. Where would be a good place to start? I am loading for a gas autoloader if that matters.

Why don’t you trust them. He probably never had any problems, shoot them age doesn’t matter, I shot shells that are 40 years old or better

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:42 pm 
Utility Grade

shootandfish2 wrote:
axis ii wrote:
YevetS wrote:

Steve

Ask the Uncle to take and send you some pics of the shotshell components. Might be able to narrow the 'unknowns' down. Sounds like the gentleman was an avid reloader and if the components was stored in 'good' place, might be worth making an offer. Right now reloading stuff is hard to get.

Last thought. I'll bet that there are some reloading manuals with the deceased gentleman. His favorite loads may be marked along with some notes.

As others have said, one can not trust assumptions, but a little detective work could get some answers quicker. Good luck.

Fred

Hi Fred,

He’s been deceased 2yrs now. My buddies cousins are all drug addicts and it was a mad dash to clean everything out before they came over. His uncle took the components and press and disappeared with it even though I was offered the reloading stuff. I’m sure it’s gone by now. His cousins broke into the garage and cleaned everything out within 3 days. The shells look like reloads to me due to the crimp being not complete on some of them and not all the shells are the same in the boxes. Pap and I used to talk guns and he shot trap and skeet 2-3 days a week but quit about 20yrs ago. My buddies clean cousin got several Browning trap and skeet guns.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

back then you had color choices of the exact same hulls. [AA's come in red, silver, and before that a flat black, Remingtons were flat green, or blue [up to the 90's] many guys would mix all of them together and load them]

I'd look to not be tearing up a bunch of AA-CF hulls, for a powder I might not be able to identify, if there was any way I could help it.