ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super feather with AS powder with gauge 12 !!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:01 pm 
Field Grade

Powder Vectan AS: 24gr. Shot: 232gr lead #5, cible: 30 inches at 38 yards, primer 209 cheddite cx2000. speed: 1479 feet/s. this recipe should be good for TSS with smaller beads #10 - 9 - 8 and reduce the powder to reduce the speed and have a better sheave. What do you think about it?

I think that the lead ball #5 is not appropriate for this kind of cartridge can be the 7.5, a little less speed to fill a little more the sheaf? My wish is to replace with the same weight by TSS.

Post subject: Re: Super feather with AS powder with gauge 12 !!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Uh.......the ONLY part of a shotshell pattern that is going to kill RELIABLY anything is that 15" circle in the center, maybe a bit more. Since the pattern has degraded in regards to central thickening it is iffy at best.

You need a lot more pellets than that in a pattern to get the job done reliably.

Overlaying patterns on an outline of a gamebird, is not a good representation. Patterns like other external ballistics are taken on an average. IF you start counting pellets that is 52% pattern with approximately a central thickening ratio of 1:1. Not good for a pattern shot at 35 meters.

Good patterns for reliable kills require a 70% pattern with a minimum CT ratio of 1.5:1 at whatever range you take the majority of your birds.

Lots of work to do.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:46 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you dogchaser for the remarks. I understood well the pattern is not good because I have a result of 50% while to be reliable it should have 70% of marbles in the circle, is that right?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:58 pm 
Field Grade

"Overlaying patterns on an outline of a gamebird, is not a good representation. Patterns like other external ballistics are taken on an average. IF you start counting pellets that is 52% pattern with approximately a central thickening ratio of 1:1. Not good for a pattern shot at 35 meters.

Good patterns for reliable kills require a 70% pattern with a minimum CT ratio of 1.5:1 at whatever range you take the majority of your birds.
I don't understand your demonstration!!

"Lots of work to do" I inderstand this !!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:20 am 
Field Grade

Would you be so kind as to enlighten me on this subject, this project indeed requires a lot of improvements, that's why I'm talking to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you are talking about replacing equal weights of lead shot with TSS shot, I do not think it will work. TSS shot reacts much differently than lead and requires different wads for barrel protection. TSS loads can be developed and tested but do not assume you can replace an equal weight of TSS shot in a lead shot recipe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:30 pm 
Field Grade

The 20 gauge inner wad is a steel wad so no problem with the barrel, this wad is screwed into a 12 gauge windjammer wad. Here is the assembly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:36 pm 
Field Grade

Here is the assembly in photo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

7albert wrote:
Here is the assembly in photo

Screwing a steel wad into a target wad is an interesting tactic. Does the steel wad have any slits in it or is it just a cup?

What is your end use for this load?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

why did I just start to get a headache?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

It sounds like you may be new to reloading shotguns. I would find a nice simple PUBLISHED load and stick with that for a while until you get the hang of everything. Shotgun reloading is particularly esoteric in that there are no standards on component compatibility, and certain wad/ hull/ powder combination will either not perform, or relocate your fingers to another zip code.

If you have Vectan AS, consider a nice 12 gauge load at 1200 fps with 1 oz load of lead shot using Win AA hulls. This is the sweet spot for that powder, and there is published data.

Very few people are attempting exotic loads with TSS and alternative wads. Those that are, use published data from TSS re-sellers and many do reasonably expensive pressure testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:36 am 
Field Grade

Thanks Terratin for these advices, I'm not new in reloading simply a careful explorer, because I test while climbing stairs and carefully, I observe no overpressure and my shoulder with a 15gram lead shot seems OK, I wanted to lower a maximum shot weight for comfort and also by ecological concern, with a view to the TSS shot.