ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hodgdon and Cheddite primers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I did not look at everything but did check 12 and 28ga data. There is no mention of Cheddite primers for any of these loads. Did I miss something?
Not so for the Alliant site, they show them.

Post subject: Re: Hodgdon and Cheddite primers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:31 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Yup, you missed them. Go to Hodgdon, select Cheddite hull, and you will find Cheddite and Fiocchi primers. The answer may depend on the hull you select.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NSSA Referee
NSSA Level I Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

They list them under winchester aa hulls.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have primarily Remington hulls and tapered wads and a variety of powders including Int. Clays, Claydot, 700x, and Titewad. All I have for primers are Cheddites and lucky to find them. What about data for these components? There is no data available from Lymans, at least in the books I have.
Does anyone know where Cheddites stand as far as a subsitution for Winchester primers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

wrfish wrote:
I have primarily Remington hulls and tapered wads and a variety of powders including Int. Clays, Claydot, 700x, and Titewad. All I have for primers are Cheddites and lucky to find them. What about data for these components? There is no data available from Lymans, at least in the books I have.
Does anyone know where Cheddites stand as far as a subsitution for Winchester primers.

What load do you want to use oz. wise?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:13 pm 
Limited Edition

I have substituted Cheddites for Winchester 209 primers in moderate pressure 12 gauge target loads, based on comparing published loads where the only difference was those two primers. Got similar performance. YMMV.

Good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

At one time Hodgdon had a statement that in effect said, a Cheddite was a safe replacement for a Winchester 209.

I have tried to find the statement, with no success, probably because Hodgdon has started to provide data for the Cheddite primer.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From what I read here and other places I think Cheddites are no hotter than Winchesters. That is good enough as I don't load any real high pressure shells mostly around 9000psi and shoot them from modern guns.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

I use the in my 12 ga 3/4 loads and they work fine. With both W AA and gun club hulls

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:53 pm 
Field Grade

Is there any truth to the things I have read that Cheddites have a tendency to be punctured by the firing pin and therefore you are risking breaking the firing pin?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:32 pm 
Crown Grade

No, you are not risking BREAKING the firing pin.

10,000psi 3,500-4,000* hot gas in a blow-torch jet through the puncture MELTS firing pins.

The tips erode over time, require replacement.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

SMP190 wrote:
Is there any truth to the things I have read that Cheddites have a tendency to be punctured by the firing pin and therefore you are risking breaking the firing pin?

Some What , my MX 3 doesn't like Cheddite primers but my KS5 doesn't mind them
at all , neither does my hunting guns or the Browning 425's I have !
I'm thinking it's the angle of the firing pin that allows more blow back ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:20 pm 
Limited Edition

Yes, Cheddite 209 primers are hard on a few models of shotguns' firing pin tips.

My 2 year old Citori CXS went through two lower firing pin replacements due to my using Cheddite primers in the first 3,000 target loads (yeah, guess I learn slowly). Quit using Cheddites (Win 209s now) and have another 3,000 rounds through the gun, with no erosion of the firing pins. Same load, just with Winchester primers.

Got a shooting buddy with a Browning 525 - he's replaced his lower firing pin twice in the last 2 years. No longer shooting Cheddites in his gun either.

It's not the end of the world - I know how to replace Browning hammers now. But it's not worth repeating the experience for me.

good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

There were a couple threads here a couple months ago - basically Cheddite primers are more prone to puncture on O/Us when the firing pin strikes at an angle. In actions where the pin hits perpendicular no problems.

I subbed Cheddites for Win209s in a Rem Hull, 17.5g Clay Dot, CB-1078, and 1 oz, and have run a few thousand of them through S/As, 870s, and an old Stevens SxS with no punctures. Spec pressure on that is only about 8000 psi, but it does OK for skeet. I'm saving my remaining W209s for the O/U.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:31 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you all for your responses. Win50, that is my exact load although I use the CB-8100-12 wad.

Appreciate the help!