ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thanks and a couple of questions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:46 pm 
Utility Grade

I've been reloading for a lot of years, with multi-year breaks in between. My MEC 9000G had a clunky brass resizer, and I could never get the "clunk" and following primer upside down issue out of it. I had tried lubing it the best I could because I didn't know how to get it apart.
Thanks to this group I followed a video on how to disassemble and lube. Now it works perfectly, so thanks for that.

Question(s): I was short on hulls and bought some 12AA once fired (actually I think they were once fired, once reloaded and once fired again) I've noticed the new batch of hulls has a bit of a hole in the crimp, where my old ones are perfect.
Are new hulls a little different in length.
Once I fire them and do another reload, will they adapt better to my loader and close the hole?
If I want to close them up a bit, is it the first crimp I should lower a tad?

Looks like I didn't pick the best time to start loading again in regards to component availability. I have enough for a while, but curious how long the shortage has been happening and are we closer to the end than we are the beginning? There's plenty of TP and paper towels now. Are components next to be replenished?
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Thanks and a couple of questions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Woody99 wrote:
I've noticed the new batch of hulls has a bit of a hole in the crimp, where my old ones are perfect. Are new hulls a little different in length.

Yes.

Woody99 wrote:
Once I fire them and do another reload, will they adapt better to my loader and close the hole?

No.

Woody99 wrote:
If I want to close them up a bit, is it the first crimp I should lower a tad?

Yes.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:36 pm 
Limited Edition

For more reading on open crimps in Win and Rem current production hulls from a post a week ago:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 3&t=525296

Good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

yes,no,yes,,,, [shrug?]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:50 pm 
Limited Edition

Well, a recent statement from an exec of Fiochhi USA, looking at the US ammo market, expressed his guess that we would not see the return of normal level of supplies until a year from now.

Listen yourself: https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 5&t=526018

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:09 pm 
Crown Grade

fiver wrote:
yes,no,yes,,,, [shrug?]

I answered his questions directly and precisely. If you have something constructive to add why dont you step up. If the OP needs more info about a specific question he will ask a more detailed question.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:11 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the feedback on the AA's.
Regarding the reloading supplies, I really didn't (don't) have a clue about what phase we may be in. I called the club that use to buy in bulk for members and they just said they don't order reloading supplies anymore. Other shooters tell me they have a bit of an issue getting shells, but they find them here and there. So, that's where I'm at.