ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your thrid or fourth choice
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If all hell broke loose and you had to buy hulls to reload saying that Remington and Winchester were not available what would you reload. Personally I had good luck with Fiocchi and Federal GM. What about you?

Post subject: Re: Your thrid or fourth choice
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Whatever is available on a regular basis so I can use the same components easily

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

In my opinion, you can use the same components for all of the Euro hulls, and for the Federal straight wall hulls. Except possibly for primers, given the difference in diameters. -Ed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm kind of a hull whore already because I take whatever is dropped when I can get it.

the paper base top gun hulls were good hulls, but I ain't so sure of the new plastic based ones.

Rio's were great even with their 6 point crimp, but then again,, ain't seen any primers from them in over a year, and they might not return.

the white Box Estates...... ahh now we are getting somewhere, they run the cheddite hull and primer which means you can easily use Winchester primers in them in your O/U, they got an 8 point crimp, and any straight wall wad works just fine if you use a longer crush section.
but I ain't seen a single hull of that type on the ground in about 18 months.

which leaves the Fiocchi clear hulls and their low brass height cousins [the colored ones are hit or miss in their longevity] I don't have a lot of data on them other than they are a cheddite type hull.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

wrfish wrote:
If all hell broke loose and you had to buy hulls to reload saying that Remington and Winchester were not available what would you reload. Personally I had good luck with Fiocchi and Federal GM. What about you?

I like those 2 also, but I have enough Remingtons to last my lifetime.

cdb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have Winchester and Remington hulls exceeding life expectancy.
Oh, and Federal Top Gun for Black Powder loads.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Federal Gold Medals/Grands, RIO's, Cheddites in some respects are better choices than current the Remington or Winchester hulls, especially when it comes the lengths and crimp depth consistency.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

I started collecting hulls about 5 years before I even owned a reloader, that was about 20 years ago. Hulls are the least of my worries. Well maybe except for Federal Papers, after all who couldn't use some more Federal Papers!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:44 pm 
Limited Edition

I've found Nobel Sports to load really well once and done loads

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:33 am 
Tournament Grade

wrfish wrote:

Fiocchi hulls are actually my first choice; I'd love to use GMs, but I've quite literally never even seen one---they're not sold around here, so none ever show up in the hull bucket. Remingtons are my second choice (because of capacity limitations), so I guess Win and Cheddite are my third and fourth choices.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm finding the new plastic base wad Top Guns are excellent for reloading.
These are the ones with Federal primers and not Euro primers.
The 2 look similar with the Burgundy plastic and brass washed metal.
The crimps are just as good as the old GM hulls and the plastic is holding up much better
than those old GM's. I even like them better than the old paper base wad Top Guns.
I gave up on those old Gold Medal hulls after several separated plastic from metal
and the plastic didn't hold up to very many reloads. They were way over rated in my book.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

wrfish wrote:
YGBSM. You're not a hull'aholic? It sounds like you are running low on hulls....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nebs wrote:
wrfish wrote:
YGBSM. You're not a hull'aholic? It sounds like you are running low on hulls....

For the past several years I collect hulls,( when I'm not shooting), while staying in Tucson.I sell them on this site and there seems to be a demand since I always sold out. I assume there will not be as many Remington STS and Nitros as there were in years past. Since the Spring Grand has not started yet I don't know what will be available thus the question. I am seeing mostly Federals and Fiocchi hulls since that is what the club sells. I had good luck loading Fiocchi hulls but you need Fiocchi primers to fit them.
Has anyone fitted Fiocchi hulls with Cheddit primers ?
If anyone has a preference for a particular hull you can pm on this site and I can be one the lookout for them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

As far as I can tell, the Cheddite primers sold in the US are all American-size, not Euro-size. The ones I have do not work in Fiocchi hulls (without conditioning). I use Fiocchi or Nobel Sport primers in these hulls. The Cheddite hulls I've used have all taken the American-size primers, too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was given 50 once fired Rio hulls. I had some straight wall wads and some Noble Primers, so I reloaded and used them. They still looked good and I kept going. Ultimately, I got seven reloads out of these hulls. And that really surprised me. I would use these hulls, but you need to have the right primers and wads.