ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Favorite crow loads.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:17 am 
Tournament Grade

I was young my uncle give me 2 25 pd #2 lead shot. I used activ hulls 700x powder. It made some of the best crow loads I ever shot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:31 am 
Presentation Grade

Still frame, action shot...

One of two triples for the day.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:45 am 
Tournament Grade

When I was doing a lot of crow shooting and duck hunting in the lead shot era I used the published load that was said to duplicate the old Federal flyer loads except with #5 shot for both with fine results. That's a 36 gram or 1 & ¼ oz. load of lead shot @ 1220 fps. It used Federal 2 & ¾" 12 ga. hulls, 23 grains of Unique, Federal 209 primers and a Federal wad whose number I'm not recalling, just now, but today's version would be probably be a 12S4. I just checked Alliant's on line data & several similar loads are listed.

In the FWIW bit of knowledge; when I was doing a lot of patterning years back, I concluded that there was no significant difference in pattern density attained using regular #5 lead shot or 'drop shot' as many called it and the so called 'magnum' shot of the day. My findings were that once you get past American #6 in shot size, there is no advantage to paying extra for the 'magnum' shot. Just saying.

Also will mention that some 'plated shot' is not hard, but that depends on whose shot is being talked about. At one time a Mexican copper plated shot being sold under the 'Hawk' brand for reloading was dead soft when compared to the bagged plated shot being sold by Winchester or Remington.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:23 pm 
Crown Grade

I would sum up my crow shooting experiences by making the following observations. Crows are not hard to kill. Get them coming into a decoy set at 30+/- yd. ranges & a 20 ga. with 7/8 oz. #8's will work, although 6's would be better & 1 oz. loads even better. A move up to 12 ga. 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz. of # 6 up to # 4 will put pass shooting & call shy birds in range you have trouble reaching with lighter loads. There are few crow shooting situations these loads won't handle. There isn't any real need to shoot crows passing at 60 yds. & over other than it is a lot of fun but fun it is! That is a really good way to stay sharp with my 10 ga. waterfowl guns. I also pick off a lot of sassy crows sitting in pine trees with my CZ bolt .22 up to just under 100 yds.. (model 452 I think).