ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Load Data For Magtech 410 gauge brass
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:24 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm looking for a load for the Magtech 410 gauge brass shells with smokeless powder. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

Last edited by mmlj on Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Magtech 410 gauge brass
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Smokeless or Black powder?

Smokeless for the 2-3/4" chamber,
large pistol primer
win 296 or H110 (both the same powder) 16.7grs.
CB5050-410HS wad
226grs of shot
Nitro card over the shot in the wad, use a tool about the same size as the ID of hull to push the card/shot/wad to press it all down tight against the powder (top of nitro card will be down about 1/2" in case), then break out a hot glue gun to glue the sides of the nitro wad to the inside of the case.

If black powder,
Large mag pistol primer.
40grs of 3f (smooth bore, and why your not using 2f instead),
Over powder seal that has been tool packed to get the BP packed tight, and over seal tight against it.
The needed amounts of fiber wads to get the shot stack height with nitro card up to top of hull, or you can use just one, the nitro card over the shot will be lower, so same as the above load with hot glue.
Paper shot cup,
226grs of shot,
Nitro wad over the top, it/shot/ paper shot cup packed down against the powder seal cup, then hot glued in place the nitro card.
Note here, everything used in the load from powder seal, shot cup and nitro card are made from waxed thin cardboard. The BP load burns hot, and if you use any plastic pieces in the load (plastic wad, it's going to melt and bind to the inside of the bore.
So to keep the costs down, you make your own over powder seals, wad cup, , punch your own nitro cards and fiber wads, and even make your own BP for about $6 a lb.

Now the warning when shooting BP loads.
As soon as the cases are shot, get them into a milk jug with water and a few drops of dish soap (shake the jug every so often) to break down the BP salts asap on the cases. On the shotgun, as soon as you get it home, break it down to every single piece to clean the BP salts out of the gun with hot water and soap as well. Hence BP salts will not only start to corrode the hulls quickly, but it will rust the gun from the inside out as well.
And no, not just re oiling the shotgun is going to solve the rusting problem. Every part surface has to be flushed of the salts to begin with, then you can re-lube the parts, and put the shotgun back together. So the more complex the gun, the more work you have tearing it all apart to clean the BP salts, and then put it back together.

Last edited by Dano523 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Dano523 wrote:
226grs of powder

Typo IMHO.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:04 am 
Utility Grade

Dano523, Steve:

Thanks for the replies. I edited my post to specify smokeless powder loads. I believe dano523 meant the 226 grs. to be the shot weight. I appreciate the load data.

Bill

Post subject: Re: Need Load Data For Magtech 410 gauge brass
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Shot amount as corrected above, and you can use either fingernail polish, or hot glue to bond the over shot nitro card in place in the brass case.

Myself, since hot glue sets a hell of lot faster, tend to use it isntead. You just want a micro tip hot glue gun, so you not over globing the hot glue.

https://www.amazon.com/H-195F-Specialty ... B00IA8WLQA

And the reason that you want to use the hot glue, instead of roll crimping the end of the brass hull, the roll crimp process ends up with the end of the hulls cracking over time. So if needed, you can still size the hull in a metalic press with 410 sizer, but don't do the roll crimping to the end of the hulls (if the hull volume fill was correct to get the nitro card to top of brass in say a BP load, or smokeless with fillers.

Post subject: Re: Need Load Data For Magtech 410 gauge brass
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:37 pm 
Utility Grade

I plan on using a card wad with a glue gun. Thanks for the link for the micro tip gun. Looks a lot better than the one I planned on using.