ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Running through the reloads
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:32 am 
Field Grade

Yesterday, 2-18-21, after work I decided to do some pest control on the homestead. I live in a flyway for starlings, so I took advantage of the target rich environment. Ended the afternoon with 94 starlings. Win AA, Win 209, Claybuster wad, 18g red dot, 1oz #8s.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Running through the reloads
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Now you have coyote bait!!

Starlings make wonderful targets!!

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:19 am 
Field Grade

Plenty of yote bait! The starlings cost me $1000s annually in lost/soiled livestock feed. I know I don't make a dent in the starling population, but it makes me feel better. Plus, it's good wing shooting practice. My goal was to kill 1000 last year over my hand carved decoys. I ended up with 656 for 2020, not bad for just figuring this out. They respond well to decoys and a call. I'm at 302 starlings this year already.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:09 am 
Tournament Grade

Killing for sake of killing.
Not something I consider to be normal behavior.
H

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:24 am 
Field Grade

HenryPeter wrote:
H

Please elaborate? The European Starling is a Non-native invasive species in the USA. Not only are they costing me and many other farmers $1000s of dollars annually, they are known for spreading disease via their dropping in the feed our livestock consume. Will you be willing to reimburse me for the lost/soiled feed or sick animals should I stop harvesting this pest?
On top of that, once planting of the fields start, millions upon millions of starlings flock the fields and raid the seed. This happens from sun up to sun down, every day of the week. This is 2 fold for farmers, as we have to pay the cost of replacement seed & fuel to replant. So please educate yourself on this nuisance pest before stating it's just "killing for the sake of killing" because to many like me, its a small attempt at protecting our investment and livestock.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:29 am 
Field Grade

HenryPeter wrote:
H

It has nothing to do with societal "normal behavior", nor is it "killing for killing's sake". It's part of a farmer/ranchers life.
Virtually every state has sets of laws on the books that allow farmers and ranchers to destroy invasive, and predatory,species that are threats to crops or livestock. All of the species are identified in the regs. It has to be this way.
There can be 10,000 starlings in a flock. At the wrong time of the year, they can destroy acres of crop yield in an afternoon. Crows can be even more devastating.
It's also more humane to dispatch them in winter, before they have a chance to nest in the spring.
Better to shoot them, than to put out poisoned bait seed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:15 pm 
Field Grade

VizslaHunter wrote:
HenryPeter wrote:
H

It has nothing to do with societal "normal behavior", nor is it "killing for killing's sake". It's part of a farmer/ranchers life.
Virtually every state has sets of laws on the books that allow farmers and ranchers to destroy invasive, and predatory,species that are threats to crops or livestock. All of the species are identified in the regs. It has to be this way.
There can be 10,000 starlings in a flock. At the wrong time of the year, they can destroy acres of crop yield in an afternoon. Crows can be even more devastating.
It's also more humane to dispatch them in winter, before they have a chance to nest in the spring.

{hs#

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

pintail_drake2004 wrote:
Yesterday, 2-18-21, after work I decided to do some pest control on the homestead. I live in a flyway for starlings, so I took advantage of the target rich environment. Ended the afternoon with 94 starlings. Win AA, Win 209, Claybuster wad, 18g red dot, 1oz #8s.

12 gauge is a little much for starlings, isn't it? I never got in on it, but 3 of my friends used to lay waste to starlings with .410's. Mucho fun taking winged critters with a .410.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Same situation with the eared dove in Argentina. Introduced species with 7 broods per year and destroys millions in crops. Even with aerial poisoning and thousands of dove shooters blazing away, it’s hard to make a dent in the population. Same with the wild hog situation in the south and Burmese pythons in the Everglades

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

VizslaHunter wrote:
HenryPeter wrote:
H

pintail_drake2004 wrote:
Plenty of yote bait! The starlings cost me $1000s annually in lost/soiled livestock feed. I know I don't make a dent in the starling population, but it makes me feel better. Plus, it's good wing shooting practice. My goal was to kill 1000 last year over my hand carved decoys. I ended up with 656 for 2020, not bad for just figuring this out. They respond well to decoys and a call. I'm at 302 starlings this year already.

I fully understand the need for culling for the sake of the better good, and leave it to those who decide what is best. I do not consider it normal behavior to kill for the sake of 'feeling better'. Even worst when one knows it doesn't matter ("...don't make a dent...").
Thinking right goes with doing right is how I approach terminating any life less you invite bad luck.
I mean no disrespect....only something to think about.
H

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Not to mention starlings are nest robbers & crowd out & otherwise destroy who knows how many thousands of native birds a year. Controlling the population of an over abundant varmint species is not wanton killing! Now if we can just keep the NWS from imposing a season & bag limit on starlings! Politicians are the varmints in greatest need of control! Just thought I would cheer everybody up!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We used to shoot starlings in CT on the dairy farms. They raid and crap in the silage piles and then pick the grit off the barn roofs. As well as raiding the corn along with the crows.

I take offense at the 'killings for killings sake' comment. When someone doesn't understand what the issue is it would be nice if they learned before they point an accusing finger. We aren't talking about 12 starlings, there are literally 1,000's of birds that create the problems.

Like crows.....if you have ever seen cornfields near a crow roost.....if you don't do something there isn't much corn left. It isn't the only the crows you kill that helps, but the disruption in their feeding routines keep a lot of birds away.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:24 pm 
Field Grade

Thinking right has a different meaning when its your dollar on the line verses someone you don't know. But since we have different view points doesn't make either of us wrong. I won't poison them because of collateral damage. I can only trap so many in the funnel traps but they get wise to that after a while. I will keep shooting them as long as I have a supply of reloads. Which has been one of the reasons I have reloaded for the last 30 years. Shooting starlings has been a rather large past time in my area for young and old alike. Many people here (kids & women included) get their first taste of wingshooting on starlings down here.

FYI: when I worked with the IL DNR the 2 biggest recommendations for starlings were Shooting (where legal) & Trapping (funnel traps).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:34 pm 
Field Grade

Pintail
Can you give some more detail on your decoy techniques. How many do you set? Please post some pics of your decoys.

Thank you,

Doug

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:46 pm 
Field Grade

I'll grab some pictures when I get home. I carved them out of 2" pink board foam. I put 2 coats of glue and fine saw dust over the foam to harden it. I then prime with flat black paint, after that dries, I block in UV iridescent purple and emerald green (from the UV kit for mallards). After that has dried, I use a fine tip brush to add the UV white dots all over the decoy. They work well. I have had one get attacked by a hawk, and another was taken by a coon.

I set decoys like I would for ducks & geese. Pay attention to the wind. In the picture of the scattered birds, they were set up in a "J" pattern to start. I literally shot 50+ within 30 minutes, so they kind of laid where they fell. If there is no wind, I prefer an "X" pattern as they may come in from any direction. When I seen a group, I turn on my call (starling distress) and they usually flock right in. When they are not responding to the distress, I turn on a starling feeding call on my phone (can be found on youtube). They will literally hover over the call and decoys. Use dead birds to increase decoy spread. Large groups of birds prefer (in my experience) large decoy spreads. When I have 2-3 days worth of dead birds added to my decoy spread is when I start getting the large groups of starling to commit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

HenryPeter wrote:
H

Piss off. That is a public service. How out of touch can a guy be about nuisance wildlife? Thanks Pintail for doing your part.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

Way to go pintail thin em out! Waiting for a pic of the decoys

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

Rats starlings crows coyotes red squirrels. Killing them is a public service. We don’t have wild hogs yet thanks be. Over wintering geese and beaver are starting to be a problem here.

Last edited by dutch7373 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hal4son wrote:
HenryPeter wrote:
H

Piss off. That is a public service. How out of touch can a guy be about nuisance wildlife? Thanks Pintail for doing your part.

:lol:

Sure seems like he had a little fun and was shooting with a purpose! I kinda wish I could help him :D I bet its whole lot cheaper than shooting at those little orange thingys.

Question: If you are shooting over your crop field, do you shoot lead or steel shot? Or does it matter

dutch7373 wrote:
Rats starlings crows coyotes red squirrels. Killing them is a public service.

I'd put pigeons in that same category.

MEC 9000
Google search to figure out how to use it

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

Pigeons that migrate from the towns are a problem in the barns and silos here. Have my one of us scare them out and wing shooting fun.