Attachment:
decoy 3.jpg

prime black, add UV purple and green from mallard kit
Attachment:
decoy 4.jpg

use fine tip brush, add lots of UV white dots
Attachment:
decoy 5.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Running through the reloads
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:57 pm 
Field Grade

Pintail,

Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I never thought of using a call of any type for Starlings. My Father-in-Law told me to shoot as many as I can on his farm. I can usually get a few. Every evening they fly over the house way to high to shoot. I'll try calling them and decoying them as well. I really like your dekes. Good job!

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:01 pm 
Utility Grade

dutch7373 wrote:
Pigeons that migrate from the towns are a problem in the barns and silos here. Have my one of us scare them out and wing shooting fun.

Some are really hard to hit too. Like a coyote only get harder to hit after you miss.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:11 pm 
Field Grade

Wow!! Those are really nice decoys. That's nice work.
Put some up for sale on Etsy, you might be able to make some $$$$ back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:16 pm 
Field Grade

Shot a few more today after work. I didn't have as much time this afternoon. I did get lucky and have a group get right over the decoys. 3 shots, recovered 30 starlings! I ended the night with 50 total!
Attachment:
2-19-21 starlings.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Hal4son wrote:
HenryPeter wrote:
Killing for sake of killing.
Not something I consider to be normal behavior.
H

Piss off. That is a public service. How out of touch can a guy be about nuisance wildlife? Thanks Pintail for doing your part.

X2..........Those city boys don't(will never) understand what a farmer has to put up with. In the old days farmers would dynamite the roost site to kill thousands of the pest.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

Happiness is killing starlings. California ground squirrels fit the bill too.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Nice shooting pintail, when you get to a thousand, let us know and we can cheer you on to 2 thousand, GREAT job on the decoys, are your duck decoys that nice????

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:38 am 
Presentation Grade

pintail_drake2004 wrote:
I'll grab some pictures when I get home. I carved them out of 2" pink board foam. I put 2 coats of glue and fine saw dust over the foam to harden it. I then prime with flat black paint, after that dries, I block in UV iridescent purple and emerald green (from the UV kit for mallards). After that has dried, I use a fine tip brush to add the UV white dots all over the decoy. They work well. I have had one get attacked by a hawk, and another was taken by a coon.

I set decoys like I would for ducks & geese. Pay attention to the wind. In the picture of the scattered birds, they were set up in a "J" pattern to start. I literally shot 50+ within 30 minutes, so they kind of laid where they fell. If there is no wind, I prefer an "X" pattern as they may come in from any direction. When I seen a group, I turn on my call (starling distress) and they usually flock right in. When they are not responding to the distress, I turn on a starling feeding call on my phone (can be found on youtube). They will literally hover over the call and decoys. Use dead birds to increase decoy spread. Large groups of birds prefer (in my experience) large decoy spreads. When I have 2-3 days worth of dead birds added to my decoy spread is when I start getting the large groups of starling to commit.

This is all kinds of awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:52 am 
Crown Grade

Hal4son wrote:
HenryPeter wrote:
Killing for sake of killing.
Not something I consider to be normal behavior.
H

Piss off. That is a public service. How out of touch can a guy be about nuisance wildlife? Thanks Pintail for doing your part.

I wouldn’t maybe put it that harshly. I’m thinking he has received an education and has benefited from it.

My dad told stories of going out at night and killing pheasants by the barrel full, they were eating all the corn before it came up. They also killed jack rabbits by the truck load. Times change.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:40 am 
Diamond Grade

back In the early 80's we'd go out in larger groups and funnel rabbits into a net pen.
then beat them down with clubs and baseball bat's.
during the same time frame I'd often draw the nightshift sitting on fresh baled hay with a 22 and a flashlight to snipe rabbits as they come in.

I think personally i's rather be shot gunned or 22'd versus the clubbing, but the clubbing took care of a lot more of them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This is enhanced pest control:

https://youtu.be/l2Pyu-Cj0gg

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:33 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
This is enhanced pest control:

https://youtu.be/l2Pyu-Cj0gg

That’s awesome, lot of work though.

Back when we shelled corn from cribs a neighbor had some sort of mutt dog that would get on a rat in the blink of an eye, shake it couple times, toss it aside and look for the next one. Some sort of beagle looking dog.