ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pierced Cheddite Primers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:25 pm 
Field Grade

Because of lack of availability of Winchester. I have been using Cheddite. Out of the 3-4 hundred I’ve used, I’ve noticed at least half dozen hulls have pierced primer. Shooting a Guerini. First, is it because they are softer and in your opinion will it damage the gun in any way. I never notice it while shooting only found out examining fired shells.

Post subject: Re: Pierced Cheddite Primers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:29 pm 
Crown Grade

It's a problem that has been noticed by a lot of shooters, but some say no. I don't use them, as I don't want to worry about firing pins going bad.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

Problem as far as I understand it is that the material used in the Cheddite primers is actually less flexible than in other primers and that causes it to split rather than deform.

If you shoot a lot it will eventually damage the firing pins. Worse case scenario is that it could eventually damage the breech face around the firing pins.

Some guns have no problems. Browning and Krieghoff are well known to have problems with these primers possibly due to the angle of the firing pin.

You have to look at the shells under some magnification to see all of the pierced primers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you use them in reloads for a semi auto or pump then you probably won’t have any issues, at least I haven’t

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've been using Cheddites for 28ga reloads with no problems so far shooting a Browning and SKB O/U.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:40 am 
Crown Grade

Cheddite primers are very hard. The angle at which some O/U guns firing pins strike at the bottom barrel cause problems. Once the pins get damaged over time they will pierce even more shells. And also pierce other types of primers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This topic has been beaten to death in previous threads. Anyone who is seriously concerned or interested should look up what has previously been written.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:28 am 
Field Grade

I’ve noticed the occasional one with my 16 gauge model 12. I have not noticed any with my CG.

Since Cheddite is the only type I’ve been able to buy, and I have several thousand now, I’ll continue to use them.

I’m going to order a new firing pin for the model 12, it wouldn’t hurt to have one as a spare. The gun is a 1941 with a Simmons rib and new wood. I like to shoot it in sub gauge events. I get 2 for 16, and 2 for using a pump.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:34 am 

Dmc57 wrote:
I’ve noticed the occasional one with my 16 gauge model 12. I have not noticed any with my CG.

Since Cheddite is the only type I’ve been able to buy, and I have several thousand now, I’ll continue to use them.

I’m going to order a new firing pin for the model 12, it wouldn’t hurt to have one as a spare. The gun is a 1941 with a Simmons rib and new wood. I like to shoot it in sub gauge events. I get 2 for 16, and 2 for using a pump.

Model 12 firing pins from Nu-Line

http://www.nulineguns.com/part_part_88_3_31_42.php

http://www.nulineguns.com/part_part_89_3_31_42.php

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ridgerunner58 wrote:
Because of lack of availability of Winchester. I have been using Cheddite. Out of the 3-4 hundred I’ve used, I’ve noticed at least half dozen hulls have pierced primer. Shooting a Guerini. First, is it because they are softer and in your opinion will it damage the gun in any way. I never notice it while shooting only found out examining fired shells.

I have cheddites and winchester primers. My primary gun is a browning. I'm obviously using up the the winchesters first since I've had no problems with them.

But... you found half a dozen pierced primers out of 3-4 hundred? Do you actually inspect all of your fired hulls that closely?

Its actually a pretty good idea and I think I should start inspecting all my hulls before reloading. I bet I could find the ones that I know will possibly jam up my reloader and mess up the process.

MEC 9000
Google search to figure out how to use it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:15 pm 
Field Grade

I really don’t check them that close , I sort them as far as how many times they have been reloaded. I have thousands of Remington Nitros. But once you notice one you start looking. I started looking just when I started the Cheddites because I have read about the results with them in Brownings

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:39 am 
Presentation Grade

I load cheddites almost exclusively now because they're what I could get, and thus far (3 or 4 thousand rounds) no problems with horizontal firing pin guns - pumps, SxS, or S/A.

My understanding is that they're sensitive to slanted firing pins found in O/Us and particularly Brownings.