ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mec 600jr mark v issue
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:59 am 
Utility Grade

Just got a brand new mec 600jr mark v and I noticed at the first station the deprimer doesn’t center up to the hole at the base. So I grabbed a once fired 28 ga hull and when depriming its tough and then the primer pops out. You can see that one side of the primer is bent where it caught the base when trying to come out. Also the hull has scraping on it. Looks like a slight mushroom as well. I’m thinking I try to drill out the hole to get the deprimer lined up. Anyone else had this issue. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Mec 600jr mark v issue
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:04 am 
Crown Grade

Before drilling the hole larger, which I have never seen necessary, first check and insure that your column is square to the base. Next, loosen the de prime die and spin it 180* to check and see if the tip is bent. Now see if you can align the die tip with the hole and tighten.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:49 am 
Field Grade

This may help or not. It helped me when I had the issue. Are you sliding the case up onto the reconditioning die and lowering the die and case down to the base together or are you setting the case on the base over the primer escape hole and lowering the die down to the case. It seems to work best if the shell is slid up onto the die and both lowered down to the base together. I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:01 am 
Presentation Grade

The shell plate sounds like it is not indexing perfectly to put the old primer under the depriming pin of the die at the decapping station. Check you manual to see how to verify that the shell plate is indexed to match up with the base of the loader properly.

good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:30 pm 
Crown Grade

garrisonjoe wrote:
The shell plate sounds like it is not indexing perfectly

600Jr.s dont have a shell plate.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:09 pm 

boneshaker wrote:
Just got a brand new mec 600jr mark v and I noticed at the first station the deprimer doesn’t center up to the hole at the base. So I grabbed a once fired 28 ga hull and when depriming its tough and then the primer pops out. You can see that one side of the primer is bent where it caught the base when trying to come out. Also the hull has scraping on it. Looks like a slight mushroom as well. I’m thinking I try to drill out the hole to get the deprimer lined up. Anyone else had this issue. Thanks

Loosen the depriming punch and sizing assembly in its mounting plate. Lower the sizer down onto a hull fully, then raise the handle slightly loosen the sizer assembly and allow it to center in its mount with the deprime pin centered in the hole. Lower the handle again, then tighten the mounting bolt. Verify if that made it any better. Sometimes there is a bit of slop between the top plate hole and whatever is bolted to the top plate.
All this is a WAG at improving the situation.
This misalignment is not uncommon on their progressive presses at all.
If it doesn't help then little time and no money was wasted.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
600 Jr doesn't have a shell plate.

Doh, thinking of my Mec Grabber. :oops: