ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Load data for Rio hulls
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just wanted to try a few. Does one use Cheddit data? Would they accept Cheddit primers? Thanks yoju.

Post subject: Re: Load data for Rio hulls
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:31 am 
Crown Grade

Short bus, just grab the data from any other straight wall eurotrash hull, so long as you are in the target range of loads under the 10K psi range, and use the same primer hotness of what is called in the load if you are swapping primers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

And, no, they will not hold a Cheddite primer. Unless you wanna get that primer pocket thingy that's supposed to swell the pocket enough to hold a US size primer. Otherwise, you needs a euro size primer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

The primer pocket thingy from Ballistic Products: works good :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
primer pocket thingy that's supposed to swell the pocket enough to hold a US size primer

Replace SWELL with SWAGE and that will be correct. A US shotshell primer is a thousandth's or two smaller diameter than the Euro primers. So, the hull base has to be swaged down just a little to hold a US primer snugly.

And, yes, those Rios will hold a Cheddite primer snugly. Cheddites are French, and that means they are made to fit the European hulls.

good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:54 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

See primer diameter measurements and diagram:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=440683

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

garrisonjoe wrote:
Quote:
primer pocket thingy that's supposed to swell the pocket enough to hold a US size primer

Replace SWELL with SWAGE and that will be correct. A US shotshell primer is a thousandth's or two smaller diameter than the Euro primers. So, the hull base has to be swaged down just a little to hold a US primer snugly.

And, yes, those Rios will hold a Cheddite primer snugly. Cheddites are French, and that means they are made to fit the European hulls.

good luck, garrisonjoe

They may be made in France, but they have never fit my Rio hulls very well. I always used RIO primers when I could get them. Cheds didn't fall out, but pushed out way too easy for me. YMMV And I ain't gonna mess with that primer pocket conditioner. I'll buy the right primer before doing that.