ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Load data for Rio hulls
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just wanted to try a few. Does one use Cheddit data? Would they accept Cheddit primers? Thanks yoju.

Post subject: Re: Load data for Rio hulls
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:31 am 
Crown Grade

Short bus, just grab the data from any other straight wall eurotrash hull, so long as you are in the target range of loads under the 10K psi range, and use the same primer hotness of what is called in the load if you are swapping primers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

And, no, they will not hold a Cheddite primer. Unless you wanna get that primer pocket thingy that's supposed to swell the pocket enough to hold a US size primer. Otherwise, you needs a euro size primer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

The primer pocket thingy from Ballistic Products: works good :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
primer pocket thingy that's supposed to swell the pocket enough to hold a US size primer

Replace SWELL with SWAGE and that will be correct. A US shotshell primer is a thousandth's or two smaller diameter than the Euro primers. So, the hull base has to be swaged down just a little to hold a US primer snugly.

And, yes, those Rios will hold a Cheddite primer snugly. Cheddites are French, and that means they are made to fit the European hulls.

good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:54 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

See primer diameter measurements and diagram:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=440683

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

garrisonjoe wrote:
Quote:
primer pocket thingy that's supposed to swell the pocket enough to hold a US size primer

Replace SWELL with SWAGE and that will be correct. A US shotshell primer is a thousandth's or two smaller diameter than the Euro primers. So, the hull base has to be swaged down just a little to hold a US primer snugly.

And, yes, those Rios will hold a Cheddite primer snugly. Cheddites are French, and that means they are made to fit the European hulls.

good luck, garrisonjoe

They may be made in France, but they have never fit my Rio hulls very well. I always used RIO primers when I could get them. Cheds didn't fall out, but pushed out way too easy for me. YMMV And I ain't gonna mess with that primer pocket conditioner. I'll buy the right primer before doing that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:43 am 
Utility Grade

I have had to use RIO primers in my fiocchi and cheddite hulls. Once I pressed those RIO primers in place those hulls never would hold a fiocchi or cheddite primer again. The result was a lot of hulls spilling powder through the flash hole when I dropped the shot as the primer is pushed out, especially .410 fiocchi hulls with RIO primers. I do about 10lbs of pressure seating the wad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:17 am 
Presentation Grade

Is this primer size issue a problem with steel head hulls or just brass? I would have thought the slightly larger primers would distort before the steel heads.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In this part of the world we pretty much have to use the primers we can get. Not uncommon to have two sets of hulls, one for larger (FIO etc) and another set for the US size. A few years ago I bought the de-priming tool for my MEC from Creative Reloading Solutions. Installed in on the press and adjusted it to give a little "bump" primer pocket while de-priming. Buy the primer you can and load the shell's...... No problem...... Larry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:47 am 
Tournament Grade

:lol: I guess this is how you know the ammo shortage is bad when have to start reloading Rio hulls.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

Rio Blue hulls with the short plastic B/W has a purpose with some of my Steel Shot loads !
I use Ched 209's in mine !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RIO hulls are a lot more consistent in length than Remington or Winchester hulls. They last 5 or 6 reloads. RIO's crimp well and feed in any gun you choose to use them in. Where's the issue?

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

garrisonjoe wrote:
Quote:

good luck, garrisonjoe

Uhm... I load a ton of cheddite primers, and they are NOT sized euro-size. In fact, the Win209 fits more snugly in my reloads than the ch209, according to my thumb pressure. Yep, just pushed one of each into a WinAA HS 28ga hull, cheddite pushed in easier. Maybe the last push in the ch209 gets tighter. I've seen all those measurement charts but they don't match what I find when I can press cheddites in with my thumb and Rio/Fio/NS won't even get started.

I just bought 15k cheddite primers 2 weeks ago to replace my dwindling stock (gave 10k to buddies at skeet range), so I do load a lot of them. I see/hear folks all the time saying cheddite are larger euro-size, but it's just not true. Maybe at one time, but none I've purchased for the last 6 years.

For the Rio pockets, you need to use one of these three larger euro-sized primers: Rio209, Fio616, or NobleSport 209. And, like Garrisonjoe said above, you may in fact be able to use cheddite primers without issue, if you're using a break-open gun. I probably wouldn't load Rio hulls with cheddite primers without mashing that pocket smaller, if I was going to use them in a semi-auto where primers can pop out and jack up the action.

Like Mark dogchaser said above, Rio is actually a fantastic hull to reload. Really good plastic, very uniform in length, makes a nice crimp. The Federal hulls made by Rio a few years ago are in the top 5% of 12ga hulls for volume, so are excellent for steel-shot duck loads where you need a lot of volume. And for 28ga the Rio hulls are the absolute largest, nothing comes close for use with steel shot in 28ga, or even large bismuth loads for ducks.